26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2011 3:56 PM by MrsMiznichigan RSS

Get started - How?

jeffyerkey Community Member

I am trying to preview -- for myself only -- some testing ADPS magazines I developed two months ago.  I am a ADPS Beta program member and of course have my fresh copy of InDesign CS5.5.

Whenever I go to:

https://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com/app.html

It says I do not have access. I've tried my pre-release credentials and no dice. What's the deal?  How does one get in? 

Do I need to pay the $11,000 before I can preview my own work on my own iPad? I know Adobe took out sideloading.

- Jeff

• 1. Re: Get started - How?
          Bob Bringhurst - Adobe Adobe Employee

See this topic for getting started videos and tutorials:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f60174dc2eb12f2ca67c28-80 00.html

Sent from my iPad

• 2. Re: Get started - How?

Bob,

Do I need to spend the $11,000 before I can preview my designs now?  The Acrobat.com link is not working.

Thanks, Jeff

• 3. Re: Get started - How?

No, you don't need to pay anything to create and preview folios. All you need is InDesign CS5 or InDesign CS5.5, and you need to install the Folio Producer tools. Use the Folio Builder panel in InDesign to create a folio. Click the Preview button to preview the folio using your desktop viewer. Download Adobe Content Viewer on your mobile device and sign in using the same Adobe ID you used in the Folio Builder panel to view your folio. (If you update the tools to the most recent version, you'll need to wait for the newest viewer to be approved before you can preview.)

• 4. Re: Get started - How?

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your response.

Unfortunately the new tools won't install on my Mac.  Any ideas?  AIR says:

"This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured. Please contact the application author for assistance."

-- Jeff

• 5. Re: Get started - How?

OK I was able to get the new ADPS InDesign tools to install on my "test" user account on my MacBook Pro.

But now when I create a simple one page 768 x 1024 InDesign CS 5.5 document, with only one text box on it (reading: "This is a Test"), then I select "File > Folio Preview". It launches V1.3 of the desktop Adobe Content View and spins "temp.folio" forever. No nothing. No preview.

The preview system worked fine under Drops .8 and .9.   What the hell?

Also, whwn I go onto my free single-user Acrobat dot com workspace and click on the file "test 1" and then click preview in new Window, it just spins and spins (In both Safari, FireFox and Chrome)

Any suggestions?

-- Jeff

• 6. Re: Get started - How?
                    StephenAAsh Adobe Employee

Hi Jeff,

"It launches V1.3 of the desktop Adobe Content View and spins "temp.folio" forever. No nothing. No preview."

This sounds like the Adobe Content Viewer on your Mac was not installed correctly with the latest updates. If you go to /Applications/Adobe/Adobe Content Viewer.app, what does it say the version is? It should read "1.8.0". If that is not the case, try running the AdobeContentViewer.air file in the same directory.

ContentViewerVersion.png

"Also, whwn I go onto my free single-user Acrobat dot com workspace and  click on the file "test 1" and then click preview in new Window, it just  spins and spins (In both Safari, FireFox and Chrome)"

In the latest release, we are no longer allowing users to open their folio files directly from acrobat.com. This was something that was unintentionally left open in the last version. If you are a Digital Publishing customer, you'll still be able to access these from https://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com/. See post http://forums.adobe.com/message/3742643#3742643 for more details.

• 7. Re: Get started - How?

Stephen,

I ran a full install of Folio Producer Tools/Mac last night -- twice -- downloaded from Adobe.com Downloads. (There is no Air file in my Apps directory)

Plus I ran the 1.1 patch -- twice. Botha at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=172&platform=Macintosh

Each time it installs 1.3. How can I get 1.8?

And with Acrobat free now effectively shut down, how do I view my designs on my iPad?  PLEASE HELP.  this is way too difficult.

-- Jeff

• 8. Re: Get started - How?

Try dragging the Adobe Content Viewer.app (in /Applications/Adobe) to the Trash and then running the installers again.

You can preview your folios using the iPad Content Viewer (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-content-viewer-for-ipad/id389067418?mt=8). Just as a heads up, some folios that were created with the latest version of the Folio Builder tools will not work in the iPad Content Viewer until Apple approves the newest version.

..forgot to say "to the Trash"

• 9. Re: Get started - How?

Stephen,

I dragged the Adobe Content Viewer to the Trash, and reinstalled the 1.1 tools, and it DOES NOT add a new content viewer. There is now no Content Viewer in my Apps folder.  Please help.

Can't you just send me a link to 1.8 of the Viewer, please?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=172&platfor m=Macintosh

Also, are you now saying there is no way for my art director in NY to view my comp now on his iPad?  I am in San Francisco.  (PS - I understand the point about Apple running late on the iPad viewer. I get that. My question goes to the heart of the in-house review process now that Acrobat.com has been hobbled.)

-- Jeff

• 10. Re: Get started - How?

Also: Still getting the error:

"This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured. Please contact the application author for assistance."

-- Jeff

• 11. Re: Get started - How?

Unfortunately, the version of the Adobe Content Viewer that's compatible with the newest set of tools is not yet available in the Apple Store. You can either wait until the new viewer is approved (should be Monday at the latest) or roll back to the previous version (1.0) of the Folio Producer tools.

• 12. Re: Get started - How?

Bob,

You are not understanding me -- I cannot get the DESKTOP VIEWER to work. Please comment.

-- Jeff

• 13. Re: Get started - How?

*Ping*

I still have no way to view our InDesign iPad comps in Adobe Content Viewer Desktop. 

To recap:

• Running InDesign (Mac) 5.5 with the Folio Producer 1.1 Patch file

• When I hit "File > Folio Preview", InDesign Launches Desktop Adobe Content Viewer 1.3.0, then the window inside it is blank

• I have tried repeated to get the ACV 1.7 but apparently it does not exist.  No one has a link for it. 

• Have tried to run the AIR App updater to try get CV 1.7, but it generates an error. :: "This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured. Please contact the application author for assistance."

The ADPS worked fine under the Beta drops.  Now that I am moving onto the real deal, nothing works.

Can anyone help?  This is miserable!

-- Jeff

• 14. Re: Get started - How?

The Desktop Content Viewer comes with the Folio Producer tools installer that downloaded already.

"I dragged the Adobe Content Viewer to the Trash, and reinstalled the 1.1  tools, and it DOES NOT add a new content viewer. There is now no  Content Viewer in my Apps folder.  Please help."

"When I hit "File > Folio Preview", InDesign Launches Desktop Adobe Content Viewer 1.3.0, then the window inside it is blank"

Do you have another copy of the Content Viewer installed on your system, perhaps from a pre-release build? That needs to be uninstalled prior to installing the newest version.

Try these steps:

1. With the 1.3.0 Content Viewer Open (the one that doesn't work for you), right click on the icon in the dock and say "Show in Finder".

2. Drag that application to the Trash

3. Now, back in InDesign, use the File > Folio Preview command again for an open document. This should not open anything since there is no Content Viewer installed.

4. Run the Folio Producer v1.1 installer again.

• 15. Re: Get started - How?

Thanks, Stephen,

Will try these steps again exactly as you describe. Fingers crossed.

-- Jeff

• 16. Re: Get started - How?
                                        John Mitchinson Community Member

Jeff I hope it works but I would be surprised if it does.

Over the last week it seems Adobe has made some changes to the Content Viewer.

It no longer works for me in windows 7.

Things work well with the folio builder updating and sending the new created articles to my iPad but I have no luck lately with the viewer on the PC.

I am getting many crashes and messages such as "Checking Shared Resources..." with the program hanging.

I have to go to task manager and kill In-Design.

Everything worked well when this file was used AdobeDigitalPublishing-All.zip.

Lately they updated to AdobeDigitalPublishingPatch-All.zip and the Content Viewer no longer works.

• 17. Re: Get started - How?
                                          John Mitchinson Community Member

I must update my last post. Everthing is now working smoothly.

"This is very strange. I had no luck getting the Content Viewer to work  on my PC lately so I did a search on my computer and the file  AdobeContentViewer.air was found in the Adobe directory. So I ran this  file and now the Adobe Content Viewer is working. It may be that when  updating to the new patch the Content Viewer is not being installed.  After running this file the Viewer is working again."

• 18. Re: Get started - How?
                                            David Ben Community Member

Hi jeff-- i had a client with a similar issue.  I went ahead and sent you a private message with the process i gave him to install the desktop previewer directly from the AIR package.  Its a little technical (why i sent it in a private message)  but hopefully it helps.

• 19. Re: Get started - How?

Stephen,

Your [Message 14] did not work. However the following procedure worked!

"...You can also directly mount the .dmg that has the content viewer Air installation package.  Before starting the process make sure your AIR is current.

To do this:

1)   mount the AdobeDigitalPublishingPatch-All.dmg

2)   open up the folder called "payloads"

3)  the first folder should be "AdobeDigitalPublishing-mul-(setofnumbers)"

open it and mount the AdobeDigitalPublishing-mul-(setofnumbers).DMG

4) inside the .dmg open up the folder called "assets 2"

5) the first folder should be Adobecontentviewer-mul open it and install the Adobecontentviewer.AIR file

This procedure from another member fixed my headaches.

Adobe staff PLEASE TAKE NOTE. 

And for God's sake, do us all a favor and just release a ZIP of the Content Viewer.  This is ridiculous.

-- Jeff

• 20. Re: Get started - How?
                                                JoyceCMYK Community Member

Jeff

is there another forum or support center you got this information from? I couldn't find that procedure posted anywhere.  Im looking to pick the brain of someone that has some kind of technical grasp to answer a few indepth questions.

Thanks!

• 21. Re: Get started - How?

Hi Joyce,

The suggestion (which was in my case, the solution) was sent to me via private message. I had tried everything else but no dice.  If the sender wants to step forward and take credit, then that is his / her choice.

But if you stick around long enough, I am sure you will get the assistance you need.

-- Jeff

• 22. Re: Get started - How?

Thanks Jeff! I'm happy there are people here to help out.  Now my curiosity has stirred up.

• 23. Re: Get started - How?
                                                      David Ben Community Member

Joyce

It was a procedure i had written for my personal clients that had been having issues updating the Desktop Content Viewer.  I personally didn't write it here because it involves using the update package in away that it wasn't directly intended to operate.  It should be noted using that procedure should be a last resort -- and tampering with Update packages is never recommended as you could permanently alter the way your software works -- creating yourself more headaches.

It should also be noted that the procedure listed is a Mac only solution.  Update packages are handled in a different manner on windows so it should be noted that that procedure would not work.  -- but i honestly have only seen mac users have issues updating the Desktop Content viewer-- not windows.

With that said i always welcome questions and i do my best to answer them in a timely manner-- if it is a question  you think other people could benefit from i recommend posting it as a forum question -- i generally skim the forum a few times a day but there are many great people here that are always happy to help you.  -- if its a pretty specific question you can always write a private message and ill see what i can recommend.

Take care and enjoy your weekend!

• 24. Re: Get started - How?

Joyce,

And there you have it -- better than Green Lantern or Spiderman.

Bend_033 rescued me from the jaws of DPS madness 

-- Jeff

• 25. Re: Get started - How?

Thanks Jeff- yes he just answered all my questions! Scary Smart! Thank you Bend_033!

• 26. Re: Get started - How?
                                                            MrsMiznichigan Community Member

Thank you so much Jeff and David!!! I'm just looking into the capabilities of DPS now for a possible account with my company, and I couldn't get ANYTHING to preview. I was going insane. Geesh... Adobe, you guys REALLY need to look into solving this. The hassle of this could mean you potentially losing out on some big corporate accounts.