Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-language-Project

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have do develop a WebHelp-project in 6 languages. The result shall be a contextsensitive WebHelp (called via URL). The Problem is, I dont want to call the different langauges by

myHelp_en/index.htm#path/ContextTopic.htm

myHelp_es/index.htm#path/ContextTopic.htm

which means, I have 6 different projects on the server. I know, that there are condition-tags, but they are only good for generating different outputs,right? I need ONE output and a condition for "what to show"

Is it possible to create ONE big project and then call the language by a parameter like

myHelp/index.htm#path/ContextTopic.htm?lang=en

myHelp/index.htm#path/ContextTopic.htm?lang=es

This would be a much smoother solution, maybe it is even possible to change the language inside the WebHelp-framework by a drop-down-menu.

Anyone has got experience with that?

I'm using German RoboHelp 9.0.1.232 on Windows XP

P.S. Sorry for my bad english

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are using RH9 you could use the Dynamic User Centric Control (DUCC) facility. This would allow you to generate a single help file and allow the user to select from a drop down the language they want to see inside the help. The option chosen in effect filters the output that is displayed. From your perspective, this works in much the same way as conditional text. Check out the link below for a good tour of the features inside RH9 included DUCC.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/index.htm

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! That was a big step forward. Thanks a lot!

I defined 6 condition Tags (one for each language) and the DUCC works fine.

Just one more question:

German is my <default> language. But I want (e.g.) the english users to see the english version as default.

Is it possible to call the WebHelp with a special condition-tag-parameter? And what is the name of this paramter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You set one of the categories as the default.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to set the default language dynamically. The country code of the calling URL shall be passed as a parameter tp the WebHelp:

Example:

The user is on a page like

http:/myPage.com/de/homepage.htm

or

http:/myPage.com/us/homepage.htm

and is calling the WebHelp from that page. In the first case, I want the user to see the German Help as default. In the second case I want the English Help as default. Best solution would be something like:

http:/myPage.com/myHelp/index.htm?parameter=DE

or

http:/myPage.com/myHelp/index.htm?parameter=EN

It would be easy to read the country code from the calling URL an pass it to the WebHelp. But I dont know, if there is such a parameter or what it is called? In my opinion there must be a parameter that is passed when switching the content categories from inside the WebHelp and it must be possible to set this paramter not before calling the WebHelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that you maybe pushing at the boundaries of people's expertise here. If there is a paramater that does this I don't know what it is. You may be better placed asking this question in some sort of web developers forum.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wondering if you got a good answer from RH developers on your question from June 2011 about how to pass a language parameter to help dynamically before the app opens Help?

I have a multi-media project with context-sensitive help and need to pass a similar kind of parameter to tell Help which media build (created with DUCC) to open for the user.

thanks!

karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp