• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word linked document doesn't update

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH8 and have a project that is made up totally of Word linked documents. The updates have worked until today, when I tried to update one document and even though RH goes through rescanning the Word doc, when I view it, the updates aren't there. Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Where exactly are you looking when you say "the updates aren't there"?

Are you looking inside RoboHelp?

Are you looking at the output files? If so, where exactly are the output files when you are looking at them?

What are you seeing that makes you believe the updates aren't there?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. What I did was to open the Word document outside of RH. I think I needed to edit the Word document within RH, then update. I'll see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

What you posted makes me wonder if you perhaps think linked Word documents are a two way street. In fact, they are a one way avenue. Edits are made in the linked Word document. RoboHelp indicates a mismatch by presenting the icon noting a difference. You update and the changes flow from Word to RoboHelp.

Certainly you are free to modify things inside RoboHelp and when you do, you will see the indication on the icon that RoboHelp no longer matches the Word document, but information added in RoboHelp *NEVER* transmits back to the Word document.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So if I make my edits in my Word doc outside of RH, which I have done, why isn't it updating when I hit update on the linked Word document in RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discovered the solution. After you update a linked Word document, there are two more steps. You need to delete the topic associated with the old Linked document. Second you need to generate a new topic associated with the new Linked document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm glad you think you have found a solution that appears to work for you. However, I'm wondering if it's a bit of voodoo. I say this because it shouldn't be necessary to delete and rebuild the topic.It's been my own experience that the updates sail right into the topics without issue.

By chance do you have the topics open in the RoboHelp editor at the time you choose to update? I'm thinking that if you do, this might explain it. RoboHelp could have a lock on the topic and that may prevent it from being updated.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, Rick, that may have been the case that I had the topic open. I can't remember now.

But, I was just reviewing Adobe's tutorial on linking Word documents and I did find something peculiar. the tutorial states that the external Word document can be changed and the change is shown in RH by a yellow warning sign on the Word linked document icon. However, I did a test and the yellow sign did not pop up. I checked the properties of the linked document and it is linked to the correct external location.I am really confused.

Is this a bug in RH8?

I know it works when I did it manually as I described to you, but not automatically as it is claimed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have no idea what the frequency is, but the indication doesn't happen immediately. For example, if the linked Word document is saved on the network or wherever it lives, it may take an unknown period of time for RoboHelp to sense it and present the icon.

I have no idea what the time duration is between checks. But there has to be one.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I updated a Word document on Friday, it's now Monday, and it still has not updated in Robohelp. I wonder if "Force Update" is recommended so that one can see the update go through right away. Or why would it be called Force Update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay Rick. What would you recommend as a procedure for updating

topics in RH that are based on a Word linked document? Do you see what I'm trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp