1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2015 5:33 AM by kimw36415508 Go to original post RSS
      • 40. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?

I found this forum in response to a query about a problem that I am having.  When I print my PDF file, margins are fine.  Then I duplex print, and the image seems to be shrunk, with wider margins.  As it is a tri-fold brochure, this is a real problem.  Any ideas what might be going on?  For now I will just print a bunch of page 1s, then put em back inthe printer for page 2.  The thing that I find really frustrating is that it worked fine on duplex a few weeks ago.  Must have set something wrong...

• 41. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?

I agree, PDF is more commonly used as an active review tool.   We  need to change the margins of pdfs coming from different sources and versions.  We currently use 8.0 Standard, and receive 9.0X.  We create call-outs to indicate proposed changes.  When the received pdf has only .5 margins, the call-outs cover the text.  We purchased "Very PDF" which is not working well for us.  Since using Very PDF, we have problems with the documents "timing out" and not saving to our Interwoven Document Management System.  The users often loose changes when PDF freezes.

By the way, moving to 9.0 Pro made the situation worse.

Based on the contents of the posts, this is the first time I finally see a way to shrink the margins natively (i.e., without Very PDF).  It's cumbersome,  Now I'm going to try to locate someone that can help us "macro" these steps so I don't have to rely on 3rd party vendors who don't offer support.  Feel my pain!

If anyone can chime in on recommending someone to write the macro, I'd appreciate it.

• 42. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?
            DimitriM ACP

Hi TechPorVida,

Did you give the previously mentioned free automation tool "Resize Pages Tool" a try?  You can download it at-

(Scroll down in the list for the one titled "Resize Pages Tool").

Hope this helps,

• 43. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?
              TechPorVida Community Member

I did and its great.  I'll need to reviewe the script with a developer at

Interwoven to make sure it can't interfere with the Adobe/FileSite

integration (unless you know the answer.)  I'm purchasing an annual

subscription to PDFScripting.  The firm name is King, Holmes, Paterno &

Berliner.  That'll be me.  Can't thank you enough, this issue has been an

elusive sucker for a while.

• 44. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?

I converted a Word doc into a .pdf, but my word doc is 1/4 page and it gives me a full page in pdf.  How can I make it a 1/4 page in .pdf as well?

• 45. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?

Hate to promote some non-adobe product but *THE BEST* solution is a paid application called Quite Imposing, simple plug in that works.  NO, its not cheap but if you need to manipulate .pdf documents on a regular basis, this software will completely recreate (in a good way) the way you manage .pdf documents.  I cannot imagine trying to photoshop a .pdf just to shove the document .125 inches in any direction.  They do have a trial version of it.

My thoughts, if you have someone that versed in Photoshop they are netting a decent salary, stop wasting their time and save the wasted salary, buy QI once and move on.

I have no connections, ties, or any other gains to the company, just seen the software in action, truely amazing stuff.

I apologize about the promotion of non-adobe application but this is really what should be put into adobe out of the box!

• 46. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?
                    Richard Eger Community Member

Dear Ken,

It looks like you also left me a PM on the Adobe forum.  Where do you buy

this software?

• 47. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?
                      kenjunior08 Community Member

Google it.  Direct from company, they are not in US.

• 48. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?
                        ~graffiti ACP/MVPs

kenjunior08 wrote:

I apologize about the promotion of non-adobe application but this is really what should be put into adobe out of the box!

No worries. QI is a well known product around here (plus you need Acrobat to run it) and they've had someone from their company that used to visit here frequently that was very helpful.

• 49. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?

I'm late coming across this question but it seems like it's on-going so I'll add my simple solution.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the problem is that when you print to PDF from other applications, the PDF's margins are too wide and "paper is wasted" when printing multiple page documents.

To avoid cropping, rotating, resizing, etc., go to Print, select the "Adobe PDF Settings" tab, and under the "default settings" option, select "Oversized Pages", then click "OK".

Now when you print to letter-sized paper, the margins will be wider and you will not have to adjust % and crop pages.

• 50. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?

A PDF file is the one which can be easily accessed on any system irrespective of its configuration. You can improve the form of a PDF file by changing and customizing the margins, page size, page layout and the presentation of the content. u can easily crop the page in edit option but for more precise answer

• 51. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?

It must exist in previous versions too, but in Adobe X (ver 10) you can choose "Multiple Pages" or "Booklet printing" in the drop down box for Page Scaling when you have the Print dialog box open. This will print "2-pages-per-sheet" without the extra margin padding. You just need to take care that the printer thinks it is printing "Landscape" if you're printing 2 "Portraits" per page and vice-versa. The printer should still only print "1 page per sheet" and set to duplex (especially for booklet printing).

• 52. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?

I recently upgraded to "Acrobat XI Pro" and still couldn't figure out how to keep the text further away from the edge of a page. Actually, how to create a margin.

I am a long term user of "FinePrint" and its mate "PDF Factory Pro" and with that team onboard it was rather easy to create a PDF with a nice margin.

These programs are actually printer drivers; graphical printer drivers I guess.

It has to be said that when increasing the Binding margin in "FinePrint" the whole page scaled a little bit down. Not to an extend that it was an issue.

As my PDF (a conversion from an EPUB eBook) was a book, I Extracted in "Acrobat XI Pro" the original cover of the book from the PDF-with-the-tiny-margins.

Next I 'printed' the file to "FinePrint". There I adjusted the Binding margin and "printed" further on to "PDF Factory Pro".

In "PDF Factory Pro" I saved the file as a PDF. That file I opened next in "Acrobat XI Pro" where I replaced the now somewhat squeezed cover of the book with the one I had saved from the original PDF. All sorted.

"FinePrint" is cultural-aware: it can work with both documents that flip from right-to-left as well as those that flip from left-to-right.

In my case the outcome worked for me in one go. "FinePrint" can adjust the Binding margin and that means either on the left or on the right side of the page.

I guess if you would need to resize significantly both the left and the right margins you may have to repeat the production process a second time.

After 1 'pass' I didn't notice any decrease of the quality; the text stayed sharp etc.

Hope this information is useful to someone. Like to the programmers of Acrobat....

Have a great day.

• 53. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?
                                  AzonDee Community Member

Changing Margins is a doddle with the

"Quite Imposing Plus"

Plug-In for Acrobat.

Here are the Settings I used to fix a PDF that had no Margins:

From the "Imposition Control Panel" select "Step and repeat"

(I created a preset called "MARGINS" to easily repeat the task again)

STEP & REPEAT - 1`.png

STEP & REPEAT - 2.png

STEP & REPEAT - 3.png

Just click on

and in a couple of seconds

you have a perfect PDF with the Margins you desire!

• 54. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?
                                    D Ben Community Member

6-17-2015:  "If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7652785#7652785 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer."

Unfortunately, there was no "Correct" to click on. 

Azon's answer was through and easy to follow.  Thank you!

• 55. Re: How to change Margins in PDF?

I have a similar problem and have read this thread in full, but can't work out how to fix it. Can anyone help?

I have a PDF made up of multiple sections. Some sections have page margins that are too narrow; other sections have page margins that are perfect as they are. I want to increase the page margins just of certain sections, and I need to make this change in the PDF itself. All pages are A4.

I need to make these changes within the PDF itself, as this will later be printed by someone else (on A4 paper), along with lots of other PDFs. This batch printing will be done with the mode 'Print actual size' (not 'fit to scale'), to be consistent with the other PDFs.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro.

Huge thanks to anyone who can help!

1 2 Previous Next