• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Builder Constantly Hangs. HELP!!

Explorer ,
May 30, 2011 May 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Flash Builder CS5 on a 64bit Windows 7 HP box and it constantly hangs while typing, selecting text, pasting, and other normal actions in the editor. It hangs for 5 to 10 minutes and then goes back to working normal again. However, sometimes for not more than a single character being typed and it hangs again! It's gotten so frustrating I'm wondering how I am ever going to complete my AIR app. Some days it is hung for longer than it is working and so I get virtually nothing done.

Does anyone have an idea why it might constantly hang? I am not running any versions of Eclipse or Aptana on this machine.

Thanks!

PK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

My first try would be to turn off automatic build process. You can do that from menu Project. Then when you run it builds, or you can just hit Command-B to build.

If that's not the cause, then perhaps there is something wrong with your instalation and/or plugins. Or just something wrong with your computer overall. Try re-installing Flash Builder. If all fails at this point, try setting up the environment on another computer just to see what happens.

Also try thinking at which point did this behavi

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first try would be to turn off automatic build process. You can do that from menu Project. Then when you run it builds, or you can just hit Command-B to build.

If that's not the cause, then perhaps there is something wrong with your instalation and/or plugins. Or just something wrong with your computer overall. Try re-installing Flash Builder. If all fails at this point, try setting up the environment on another computer just to see what happens.

Also try thinking at which point did this behavior begin and address that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2011 Jun 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the automatic build process has seemed to do the trick so far. Doesn't seem to affect the way I work, so that makes it the right answer for me! Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2011 Jun 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I spoke too soon! After an hour of work, bam! I'm frozen out again. I guess it's time for a complete reinstall, fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2011 Jun 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to FlashBuilder 4.5, had to create a new version of my app because FB didn't recognize the old project files (that is very un-IDE like), and within a couple of hours that crashing has started again! Obviously this is a problem that I am unable to right by just reinstalling, which means it is deeper than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had similar issues with 4.5, when trying to move a project over... Sticking to 4.0 for now.

There are different ways to open a project. You can use the "create new project" wizard, and use the existing (4.0) project location. You can also use the menu option File > Import > Flash Builder Project

Try those 2 different ones, as they seem to set up the project differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try both. I found that it was best to start a new project so that most everything was up to date. Then I just had to reset my AIR descriptor for the latest version. It wasn't difficult, just shouldn't be nescessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still hangs! I've installed CS5.5, turned off my firewall and anti-virus, run it with nothing else running, and it still crashes randomly dozens of times per session. I am so fed up but have no choice but to use Flash Builder that I can see! Crappiest development environment I have used since the early 90's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see if it's related, have you turned off design mode for a while (Windows > Enable Design Mode)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that didn't help either. I've tried turning most things off and on without luck. I think it is probably some other process on the computer that is interfering with Flash Builder. I just updated to 4.5.1 and the same stuff is still happening. Crash City.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is similar to my type lag problem.

When I leave Flash Builder running for over a day, I think there is a memory leak or something because type lag keeps getting worse and worse, with the Flash Builder occassionally saying (Not Responding).  Eventually Flash Builder crashes saying something about a Heap Error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I finally figured this out. Even though I had uninstalled Webroot Security Essentials (anti-virus software) it never really was gone. Because I didn't know that I brought my machine back to factory software state and reinstalled Adobe. Flash Builder was working great so I re-installed Webroot and FB started crashing again. This time I was able to uninstall Webroot completely and FB is working again.

I switched to XFinity security (Norton) and it is still working correctly.

Although I ranted against Adobe a bit (sorry, guys) it wasn't directly their fault. Still, for the amount of money the company makes on these products it would be nice if they tested them against the leading anti-virus packages so if there is a problem it can get resolved by the software companies. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines