• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 to RH9 upgrade questions - no RH8 uninstall?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my TCS2 RH8 to TCS3 RH9. I was surprised that RH8 was not uninstalled when RH9 was installed - I was thinking the system would do an upgrade to the new version. I've read here in the forum that I shouldn't have both versions on one PC. Now that both are installed, can I simply use Add/Remove Programs to remove RH8? Any gotchas on doing this? Also, I do not see RH9 listed as installed in Add/Remove Programs (I do see TCS3), so that concerns me. RH9 really is installed, because I was able to start it up and download the 9.0.1 patch.

I'm using a modified stylemapping.dot, which I backed up to a safe location prior to upgrading to RH9. Are there other files I should also back up that I will lose if I remove RH8?

Before I start converting my projects, I want to be sure all is well. Thanks for your feedback on these questions!

Kim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on whether you purchased an upgrade or a new full licence. That latter can co-exist but we have seen issues caused where the later version is an upgrade only. To fix it now you would have to uninstall both and then reinstall the new version.

If you look in Program Files you will see the components, it's just that they show in Add/Remove as one.

As to backing up stuff, difficult to say for sure. Most of the stuff you would want would be in projects. Only you know if you have modified anything else.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. We bought the upgrade support when we purchased TCS2, so this is indeed an upgrade. I just checked the paperwork that came with the DVD.

I see both TCS2 and TCS3 in Add/Remove Programs, and I also see FM 8 and 9 and RH 8.0.2. I don't see RH9, which is why I'm confused. Now that I'm looking in detail, I also don't see Acrobat 9 as an individual item. I guess I'll be calling Adobe tech support tomorrow am before I do anything else.

I'll post back with more info tomorrow after I talk to Adobe.

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There really is no need to call them. The two versions installed in different ways. As I said, check in Program Files, not Add/Remove where they will be structured differently. Poke around there under Adobe and you will find them, albeit with some products installed within the suite and some installed on their own.

With TCS 2 some of its components are in the TCS 2 folder and some on their own. With TCS 3, they are all installed separately and you will not see a TCS 3 folder. Only one version of Acrobat will be found no matter how many versions of TCS you install. I have three versions but only Acrobat X.

FM8 was part of TCS 1. Did you have that as well and not uninstall.

I cannot say for sure you will have trouble but as at the outset, we have seen dual installs cause problems when the second install is an upgrade.

I can make enquiries but it will take at least 24 hours.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did speak with Adobe this am. I was concerned the install might not have completed properly because Windows didn't inform me that a new program had been installed. All appears to be well according to Adobe. They also said that it is OK to have multiple versions on the same system. However, I'll defer to the wisdom of those here on the forum, and will uninstall RH8 once I'm sure my project has converted correctly.

I really appreciate your help, Peter! Thanks for all that you do to help all of us!

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is going to take a little longer to get a definitive answer on this one but I am pursuing it.

For now all I can say is:

1. Dual installations are OK if you have full licences for both. I have that scenario on several machines and I know others do.
  2. I also know that where the second licence is an upgrade, we have seen problems fixed by clearing both and just reinstalling the latest.
  3. It does not follow that it is necessary to uninstall the earlier version. There may be people who have got both working but that doesn't change the previous point.

The fact that 2 fixed a problem could have been because of a bad install or some other factor. That and the licensing situation is what I will be finding out.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting answer from Adobe.

On the technical side, what I said was true of older versions but now it is OK to retain the old version as well. They should not be used simulataneously.

On the licence side, it is OK as well provided both versions are on the same machine. The older version though becomes unsupported. The exact wording is

If the Software is an upgrade or update to a previous version of Adobe software, you must possess a valid license to such previous version in order to use such upgrade or update. After you install such update or upgrade, you may continue to use any such previous version in accordance with its end-user license agreement only if (a) the upgrade or update and all previous versions are installed on the same Computer, (b) the previous versions or copies thereof are not transferred to another party or device unless all copies of the update or upgrade are also transferred to such party or device, and (c) you acknowledge that any obligation Adobe may have to support the previous version(s) may end upon the availability of the upgrade or update. No other use of the previous version(s) is permitted after installation of an update or upgrade. Upgrades and updates may be licensed to you by Adobe with additional or different terms.

My suspicion is that where we have seen issues with the dual installation, something went wrong with the installation.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp