Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Reverse Page Order in Acrobat Pro 9

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2009 Jan 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

I thought this would be an easy thing to do in Acrobat but so far I am finding it is not.

I am creating a PDF from multiple files, they are jpegs, and I am dragging and dropping them into the "combine files" window in the order I want them to be displayed. However Acrobat reverses this order as you put them in and then gives you no chance to switch the order. It gives you the option to move the order one by one (which is nearly impossible when the jpeg titles are img1824, img1623, etc.) so they other option is to add the files I want backwards, which my brain can not do, I like to work forwards, not backwards nor should I have to.

So once I create this backwards PDF, isn't there a way to just reverse the order of the pages? any help is appreciated.

e~

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2009 Jan 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no command to reverse the order of the pages. It never would have occurred to me that anyone would need this command.

Why don't you just rename the files in the order you want them to be in if you have filenames like "img1824"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work. My files are numbered 1-25 and when I combined them, they ended up in reverse order. I now need to have them appear in the numbered order, but can't find any way to do that. Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2009 Jan 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run this from the JavaScript Console (Ctrl+J):

for (i = this.numPages - 1; i >= 0; i--) this.movePage(i);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2009 Apr 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm! Thank you.

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you "run" the script? I got the box open, the script is in, so now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverse Page Order.png

Under the Document Menu, you will find Reverse Page Order. Just click on that. (see attached screen shot)

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have a different version than me, I dont have that option. (I have cs4 Acrobat 9 Pro)

I ended up printing to PDF and selecting reverse page order there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same set up (on a Mac).

Printing Reverse Page order works, too. We mainly use the reverse page order option when we need to send the PDF itself to a customer.

It's been a while since I installed mine, but I think I remember tweaking the coding some myself to get it to show in the menu where I wanted it to show.

But in any case, it should show under the Document menu somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes, I remember now, it used to show up under the Header & Footer in the Document menu. I changed the code to make it show directly under the Document menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still beats me, I can't find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Mac or PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Admittedly, PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still shouldn't be a problem, as long as you installed it in the right place.

I take back what I said about changing the code to make it fall in "the right place" in the menu. I am looking at my copy of the code right now, and I only changed the Menu Name for the command.

Here's what I have:

app.addMenuItem({ cName: "Reverse Page Order", cParent: "Document", cExec: "PPReversePages();", cEnable: "event.rc = (event.target != null);", nPos: 0

});

function PPReversePages()

{

var t = app.thermometer;

t.duration = this.numPages;

t.begin();

for (i = this.numPages - 1; i >= 0; i--)

{

t.value = (i-this.numPages)*-1;

this.movePage(i);

t.text = 'Moving page ' + (i + 1);

}

t.end();

}// JavaScript Document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This is wonderful.

Is there a way to get the menu item to be "saved" and be there when I restart Acrobat? Right now, it disappears each time I restart Acrobat... I'm using 9 Pro

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you place the code as a .js file in Acrobat's JavaScripts folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saviour works a treat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2009 Jan 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, I will try the JS.

as for why, I would think that Acrobat would keep the images in the order you place them in and this should not even be necessary. Before when you could create a PDF presentation in Photoshop it kept the images in the order they were added. but anyway I will just work around it.

thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2010 Jan 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the answer: Put this file in your Acrobat Javascipt Folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Javascripts) and start Acrobat.  The Reverse option will be under the Document menu underneath Header&Footer.  In case you do not want to download the script I have copied it below.  Works like a charm.

app.addMenuItem({ cName: "Reverse", cParent: "Document", cExec: "PPReversePages();", cEnable: "event.rc = (event.target != null);", nPos: 0
});

function PPReversePages()
{
    var t = app.thermometer;
    t.duration = this.numPages;
    t.begin();
    for (i = this.numPages - 1; i >= 0; i--)
    {
        t.value = (i-this.numPages)*-1;
        this.movePage(i);
        t.text = 'Moving page ' + (i + 1);
    }
    t.end();   
}// JavaScript Document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 01, 2010 Feb 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something in the code that only allows the menu item to be added in Acrobat 9? I have a user that will be needing this feature a lot in the very near future and adding this menu option would greatly help with an upcoming scanning project but I tried adding the script to correct directory on her system with Acrobat Standard 8 but I don't get anything on the "Document" menu or the "Document > Header & Footer" menu.

On my Acrobat 9 Professional installation using the script I get the menu option right on the "Document" menu.

Also, now I am being a little picky here but how would I get it further down on the list so that it is grouped with other "like" page commands?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2010 Mar 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a special thank you for solving a problem that has eluded me for too long.

I do appreciate it. So simple but so effective! (And I don't have a Macintosh)

Ed3618

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow GQDiaz,

What a wonderful gift you have given us! You have saved me hours of shuffling pages one by one between large cumbersome document scans.

Your script works like a dream. Thank you for this gift.

With kind regards,

jaxios

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2010 Apr 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have any idea where this script should be put on a Mac. I could really use this script!!

Thanks for writing it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2010 Apr 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it:

a.     WIN XP
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat \9.0\JavaScripts

b.     WIN VISTA
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0\JavaScripts

c.     MAC OSX
/Users/YOURUSER/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/9.0_x86/ JavaScripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines