• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Putting the TOC, Index & FTS in the content pane

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might sound a bit mad and it's probably not possible, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does anyone know if it's possible to display the table of contents, index, and search in the content pane instead of the navigation pane?

I've centred my topic content (using body { width: 960px; margin: 0 auto; } in my style sheet), so I'd like to sit the TOC, Index and FTS next to it instead of way off over to the left-hand side where it currently is.

Thanks

Jonathan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps if you can tell us how you plan for things to work we can advise better on how to accomplish it.

Lots of things are possible.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try...

I'd basically like the contents of the left-hand navigation pane (TOC, Index and Search) to be positioned in the right-hand content pane, to the left of the topic content itself. At the moment, my topics are centred and 960pixels wide, but this means that the navigation pane is stuck to the left-hand side with a lot of white space between it and the topic content. It might be easier to see what I mean with a couple of images:

Like this:

mockup.gif

Not like this:

mockup2.gif

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me with this? Willam, Rick, ...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your images didn't come through. Can you post again using the camera icon?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were there! Something is wrong on the forum.

As best I can describe, the contents page was centred in its normal area creating a big gap between that nav pane and the contents. The aim was to move the nav pane right to butt up to the contents.

I doubt it can be done.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Not sure what's happened to the images - they were there yesterday. A forum blip perhaps?

I'm just experimeting to see if it's possible to centre my entire WebHelp system; toolbar, content and navigation. My readers have a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768, so it would be nice to use a fixed width (as you might do for a website) so that everything is nicely centred irrespective of their display settings. Instead of a fluid/liquid layout, where the content resizes to the browser window, using a fixed width would also give me more control over how my content is displayed.

I'm surprised that RoboHelp doesn't provide more look and feel options, like centring the output. It's very limited as to how you can make your WebHelp look.

Thanks

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I get the picture, thanks.

It cannot be done because WebHelp uses quite a number of JavaScripts to interact between the different panes. The WebHelp assumes that there are two columns: The first hods the navpane and the second a topic. Setting a fixed width for the topic and adding extra columsn to fill the remaining space makes the navpane the width a topic would normally have (100% minus the navpane width).

Perhaps there is another solution: You have a fied width for your topic, but is it also nessecary to center the contens of the topic? Perhaps it would be an option to set a maximum width for your content so that it is right aligned but that the content is a maximum of 960px width.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At the moment the topic content itself is not centred, that's left-aligned as normal, it's only the topic pane that's centred and fixed at 960px.

So what you're suggesting is that I right-align my TOC so that it butts up to my topic pane? First up, how do I do that? Secondly, I'm not sure how that will work where there are multiple levels in the TOC. Drilling down through the books and pages might be a bit odd if all the text was right-aligned.

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp