• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Open Files in InDesign CS5 Made with CS5.5

New Here ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a file in InDesign CS5.5 and can't open the file in InDesign CS5. I received many errors stating that I needed to update my plugins. Not sure what that means. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Grant Novey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

You must export the CS5.5 files as .idml files in order to be able to open them in CS5. You may loose some CS5.5 specific layout opetions and the text may reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5.5 .indd files can only be opened in 5.5. You need to export from 5.5 to .idml and open that in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha - here we go again - backward compatibility please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as long as you said please.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long before the rants start, Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they just did, no?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I buy mulch and the greenhouse loads it with a fiberglass handle shovel I don't have any trouble unloading it with my old wooden handled shovel.

Mulch gets it, why can't Adobe?!?!?! FIX PLEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macinbytes wrote:

When I buy mulch and the greenhouse loads it with a fiberglass handle shovel I don't have any trouble unloading it with my old wooden handled shovel.

Mulch gets it, why can't Adobe?!?!?! FIX PLEASE!

But can your mulch run on an iPad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, at least it was a reminder to me that I needed to order mulch for my beds.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A dot upgrade can't be saved to same CS version? CS5 should open any dot version in CS5. What could possibly be so unique to CS5.5 that one couldn't open a file in CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the difference? That's the way it is.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The addition of a new item of data per paragraph style. For this case, it seems to be the HTML tag.

There are a couple of different scenarios possible for "new version awareness", such as blindly ignoring any stuff that's not recognized. See Word's behavior for an example of that, and shudder with the thought ID should be so fickle. It's not so easy to do it right, apparently.

A dot upgrade can't be saved to same CS version? CS5 should open any dot version CS5.

Perhaps you were expecting this .5 update to have only changed in import, export, and interface options? Besides, this is the first .5 version since InDesign 1.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which it is worth noting could not be opened in 1.0.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with your comments.  I didn't for one second think that the CS5.5 version I was buying wouldn't be compatible with our CS5 version.  Downgrade is not an option and £333 for upgrade is not realistic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then perhaps you should have done a bit of research first including the download and testing of the FREE TRIAL.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

neither will InDesign 5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must export the CS5.5 files as .idml files in order to be able to open them in CS5. You may loose some CS5.5 specific layout opetions and the text may reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's not an awful lot of new features to break and AFAIK, the text engine is unchanged.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text may reflow if someone uses Hunspell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. I received many errors stating that I needed to update my plugins.

Seriously?

I must admit, I don't often try to do this, but I thought Adobe had fixed the error message back in CS4.

Yes, sure, all the politics of backsaving are one thing. But at least the error message should be intelliglble!

There's really no excuse for a user not knowing what the problem is.

Of course, we can't expect CS4 to be fixed to check this now that CS5 is out. And the hours are definitely waining on the likelyhood of a CS5 maintenance update improving the error message for CS5.5. Maybe if we're very lucky the CS5.5 error message can be fixed to deal properly with CS6 files?

Is anyone aware of any discussion about this? Maybe I'll try to file a really compelling bug report, but I want to sit on it for a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, I have the same problem! I upgraded and now my printer can't open. This will be a continuous nightmare! Why does Adobe punish us for upgrading???????? I have a 24 page catalog, and if that baby reflows I'm going to lose my mind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a PDF file for output to the printer. No reflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send a PDF.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your printer should always have the latest Adobe software, that's on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And always the latest fonts as well? And (if you're going that route), the latest clip art & stock photos?

Just send a PDF. Printer doesn't accept that? Find a new printer that does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines