Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem connecting to debug player

Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at my wits end here. Whenever I try to debug a project I get the error saying that it failed to connect, make sure the debug player is installed. I've gone through all the usual steps and the debugger version of the plugin is defininitely installed. I'm getting the same error whether I use IE or Firefox as the external browser, so it has to be something related to FlashBuilder itself right? I've tried everything I can think of including deleting the .metadat folder and starting fresh. Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things to check:

1. Right click on your app in browser and see if "Debugger" is present in the menu.

2. To isolate if it is a Flash Builder issue, try unchecking "Generate HTML Wrapper"" in Project properties -> Flex Compiler and then hitting debug (that will launch it in standalone player which also connects back to the debugger in FB in the same way as the plugin).

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I right clicked and 'Debugger' is available in the menu.

2. I de-selected 'generate html wrapper' and did a clean build. I launched the debugger and it opened a browser window, but flashbuilder hangs at 57% progress, so the debugger is never fully initialized. I also tried debugging the .swf rather than the html and I got a dialog saying it was unable to locate the correct version of the flash player.

Since I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, could flashbuilder be looking in the wrong location for the plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I'm also seeing the same behavior in my Air projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now we need to dig a bit deeper, but we know where the problem is (at Flash Builder's end).

1. What is your Flash Builder version? (I'm assuming 4.5.1 which is the latest)

2. Do you get the error every time you hit debug?

3. Can you check if Internet Protocol Version 4 is enabled in your adapter settings (wireless or LAN adapter depending upon your connection)?

4. After you hit debug in Flash builder, try doing a netstat -an from command prompt. Does 7935 show up with a listening state?

5. Do you have a firewall that blocks even local ports even within the machine? The debugger listens on port 7935 for an incoming connection from AIR/flash player. You can test this by doing a telnet localhost 7935 after hitting debug in Flash Builder. If telnet connects, then Flash Builder is listening properly.

6. Does the problem go away if you run Flash Builder as an administrator? (right click on Flash Builder's shortcut, say run as administrator)

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please post the contents of your Flash Builder log file located at workspacedir/.metadata/.log

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent you a PM with the contents of the log file. I'd rather not post the whole thing directly in the discussion since it contains details of my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. Log looks fine. Can you see if telnet works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently telnet isn't connecting, but the problem isn't restricted to just the debugging port. I need to double check my hosts file. I'll let you you what I find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I'm using version 4.0.1, however I installed the trail version of 4.5.1 and it behaved in exactly the same way.

2. The error shows up every time.

3. IPv4 is enabled.

4. port 7935 does show up as listening, however the full address looks like this: 0.0.0.0:7935 . Is that correct?

5. To rule out that issue I turned the firewall completely off. Is there some tool I can use to send a packet to that port and make sure it isn't being blocked?

6. Running as admin didn't have ant noticeable effect. It still hangs at 57%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>  0.0.0.0:7935 . Is that correct?

Yes. It only appears once you've hit debug, right? (You can cancel a debug launch by click on the green progress icon and then hitting the red stop button).

> Is there some tool I can use to send a packet to that port and make sure it isn't being blocked?

Yes. Telnet. You'll have to enable it via Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Once it's enabled, type in: telnet localhost 7935.

-----

So Flash Builder is listening (as per netstat), but others can't connect. Usually firewalls are lenient about connections within the machine (i.e from and to to the same machine) and disabling it didn't have an effect.

Telnet should confirm a connect problem. Figuring out why the socket connection cannot be made in your machine will be a challenge.

By chance, do you have flashbug or any third party debugging tools installed?

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 3 days of frustration, the solution is so simple I could cry...  For anyone else who runs across this issue take a look here:http://therush.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/resolved-flex-builder-3-debugger-stopped-working/

I  think my problem was cuased by the fact that in my hosts file I have  localhost redirected to a location on the backend web server where the  app is actually being deployed. I changed the setting in the Debugger  dialog (right-click in the running app and select 'Debugger') from  'localhost' to 'other machine' with an ip of 127.0.0.1 . As soon as I  did, flexbuilder launched the debugger and everything started working.

Still  not entirely sure why this works, but it must change a windows setting  somewhere. I exited 4.5 and opened a project in 4.0 and the debugger  worked there as well without having to repeat the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know you got it sorted!

Cheers,

Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2011 Sep 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image is the error I get every time I try to run the debugger.

Capture.GIF

This second image comes a minute or two after the first, regardless of whether I choose "yes" or "no" on the first error.

Capture1.GIF

I am a web design/development student.  My Actonscript 3.0 class requires Flash Builder and the debugger.  I am already 4 assignmets behind b/c I am unable to get it working correctly.  I apologize, but I don't completely understand all of the suggestions posted in the forum.  If you could explain them as simple as possible I would really really be grateful.  Also, whenever I try to right-click in the running ap, as the last solution instructs, I don't even get the debugger option.  This is what I get instead.

Capture2.GIF

I've tried to uninstall/reinstall both Flash Builder and Flash Player without any luck.  I really need this resolved asap or I'm afraid I may have to drop this class and honestly speaking, dropping the class is not a viable option.  Due to my recent layoff, my school is being funded through the federal TAA program and they have strict timelines about how long I have to complete school.  If I drop the class I will miss the deadline.  Please, please help me resolve the issue.   I am using the latest version Flash Builder available to date, running Windows 7 64bit and the latest version of Flash Player.  Originally I just happened to be using Chrome as a browser, but I normally use Firefox.  I also have Opera, Safari and IE installed but had the same results when tested in each of these browsers.  Again, please make the instructions as simple as possible as I am a web student and don't know much else.  Thanks in advance to anyone that can help b/c I desparetly need some help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

1. Get the latest debug player from http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/10/flashplayer_10_plugin_debug.exe (For Chrome/Firefox)

2. Install, restart the browser.

3. In the case of Chrome, you need to disable Chrome's built-in release player - http://polygeek.com/2780_flex_debugging-with-google-chrome-and-flash-player-10-1

4. In the case of Firefox, you have to disable the plugin hang detector: See http://anirudhs.chaosnet.org/blog/2011.05.17.html

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for the quick response, but still no luck.  I no longer get the immediate error message as before.   What happens now is that the browser displays the application but never actually connects to the debugger.  Sometimes I'll even get this screen to pop up. 

Capture.GIF

It doesn't matter what I choose, I get the same result.

Capture1.GIF

Do you have any clue as to what's going on or what I should do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like your first problem is solved. You're on the right track, but you ran into another one.

Before we try to fix this problem, can you try creating a Flex project, but this time pick Desktop instead of Web in the wizard. Try debugging in that case. Does that work?

In the command prompt, what does

nslookup localhost

return?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting desktop instead of web in the wizard did not change the outcome.  nslookup localhost in the command prompt returned:

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Server:  UnKnown

Address:  fe80::cdb7:c0b5:7bd9:dd14

DNS request timed out

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

***Request to UnKnown timed-out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be the problem. A "ping localhost" will also show if the right IP address (127.0.0.1) is being resolved.

Try editing c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with notepad and adding the mapping for localhost there:

127.0.0.1                       localhost

More info:

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsysm/article.php/991281/Net-Tip-etchosts-for-Windows.ht...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727005.aspx

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

127.0.0.1 localhost  is already in my host file, it's the very first line.  Is there anything else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running out of ideas, but try these in order.

1. Do you IPV4 enabled? (Go to network and sharing center, adapter settings, right click on the right adapter, choose Properties, check if Internet Protocol Version 4 is checked)

2. Try running Flash Builder as Administrator. Right click on Flash Builder's shortcut and choose "Run as administrator".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, the Flash Player I installed in your first set of instructions continuously crashes.  I have to reload the page a few times before it works.  I don't know if these issues are related, but I thought it may help with the troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget to update your Debug profiles to point to the correct version of the flash player.

Profiler

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=profiler_4.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines