• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker to In Design conversion using 3rd party tool

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, we are evaluating a tool that will convert Framemaker documents into In Design format which we are more conversant with. Is this a risky approach? Is there anything we should look out for?

Thanks in advance

KevinD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kevind1966 wrote:

Guys, we are evaluating a tool that will convert Framemaker documents into In Design format which we are more conversant with. Is this a risky approach? Is there anything we should look out for?

Thanks in advance

KevinD

Hi, Kevin:

It depends on how the FrameMaker documents are constructed, what you expect the conversion to preserve, and to what degree of precision the InDesign conversions need to reproduce the FrameMaker originals. Even nearly-perfect FrameMaker originals - strict adherence to use of paragraph, character, cross-reference, and table formats (aka "styles" in InDesign), auto-numbering, and other features - won't convert perfectly. Conversions of less-well-regulated documents may diverge even more from originals.

Do you expect page-perfect reproduction of the originals? Or, is it sufficient to extract text? The more you can describe your expectations, the better the response to your question can be.

If you expect to return the documents to FrameMaker after working on them in InDesign, there's no direct conversion tool yet.

If your potential conversion tool is the MIF Filter plug-in for InDesign, from dtptools.com, you might want to read my review in the April/May 2008 (#23) issue of InDesign Magazine, available from the back issues section at InDesignmag.com. The filter works for free, but to save the converted results, you need to buy page credits, like buying minutes for a pre-paid phone card.

If you're considering a different tool, it would help to know what it is and what it claims to be able to do.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, our Studio is considering the MI

F Filter plug in for In Design. I will have our Studio Manager read the review that you kindly directed me to and see what his view is. We have not seen a sample of the source files yet so I am unsure if the documents are structured or unstructured.

The game plan (I think) it to be able to produce print ready files in the 3 European languages for the client. We will be doing the translation service, online soft proofing and managing the printed output too. I do not yet know if we need to return the files back to their natove Framemaker format but it is a question we will ask the client.

Many thanks for your response. I will keep you posted.

Regards

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter already outlined the most important points. This is a one-way street, and the owner of a FrameMaker document won't be happy about the format conversion, I think. Usually these people NEED to have access to the translated files, if only for backup purposes. Technical documentation has some very strict rules sometimes. He wouldn't be happy about Word files, too

From my personal experience and tests of the MIF filter: if your FM document is very clean (no style overrides), the result looks very convincing on the first look. However, there are some basic concepts which are handled differently in both applications. One example is space above/below paragraphs. FM always uses the bigger one (but only one), when two paragraphs follow each other. InDesign adds the two values. In order to mimic the FM appearance (when converting to strictly keep the FM layout), the filter creates tons of paragraph style overrides, which makes your target document no longer clean. Or: InDesign doesn't support numberings in header/footer variables (at least up to CS4, don't know about CS5). So if the FM documents has such elements in the header/footer area, it will fail in ID. Next possible problem: cross references. ID's abilities to handle these are much smaller and sometimes unreliable, especially when xrefs point to separate documents (like chapters in a book).

On the other hand, a translation process to any language which is supported by FM (which is the majority, as long as it's not about R2L languages like Arabic or Hebrew) is very simple and straightforward. Feed FrameMaker MIFs into Trados (or another TM), do the translation in the Tag Editor/Workbench, and export translated MIFs again. The result should be a very clean FM document, which doesn't mean any more efforts for formatting than a strict InDesign based (INX, IDML) translation workflow.

Yes, I'd call it a high risk you're taking there, just because YOU know ID better, me thinks…

I'm through all that. The manuals we write are usually translated into 20-30 languages, including e.g. Arabic (that's what I needed the ID versions for), all European languages, and Chinese and Japanese. We're doing all the final DTP work after translation. I'd avoid changing the format whenever possible, it's twice the work.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be.eM wrote:

Peter already outlined the most important points. This is a one-way street, and the owner of a FrameMaker document won't be happy about the format conversion, I think. Usually these people NEED to have access to the translated files, if only for backup purposes. Technical documentation has some very strict rules sometimes. He wouldn't be happy about Word files, too

From my personal experience and tests of the MIF filter: if your FM document is very clean (no style overrides), the result looks very convincing on the first look. However, there are some basic concepts which are handled differently in both applications. One example is space above/below paragraphs. FM always uses the bigger one (but only one), when two paragraphs follow each other. InDesign adds the two values. In order to mimic the FM appearance (when converting to strictly keep the FM layout), the filter creates tons of paragraph style overrides, which makes your target document no longer clean. Or: InDesign doesn't support numberings in header/footer variables (at least up to CS4, don't know about CS5). So if the FM documents has such elements in the header/footer area, it will fail in ID. Next possible problem: cross references. ID's abilities to handle these are much smaller and sometimes unreliable, especially when xrefs point to separate documents (like chapters in a book).

On the other hand, a translation process to any language which is supported by FM (which is the majority, as long as it's not about R2L languages like Arabic or Hebrew) is very simple and straightforward. Feed FrameMaker MIFs into Trados (or another TM), do the translation in the Tag Editor/Workbench, and export translated MIFs again. The result should be a very clean FM document, which doesn't mean any more efforts for formatting than a strict InDesign based (INX, IDML) translation workflow.

Yes, I'd call it a high risk you're taking there, just because YOU know ID better, me thinks…

I'm through all that. The manuals we write are usually translated into 20-30 languages, including e.g. Arabic (that's what I needed the ID versions for), all European languages, and Chinese and Japanese. We're doing all the final DTP work after translation. I'd avoid changing the format whenever possible, it's twice the work.

Bernd

Hi, Bernd:

You've identified the key risky decision points - translations, and "round-tripping" from FrameMaker to InDesign to FrameMaker. All the troublesome artifacts of converting FrameMaker to InDesign via MIF Filter may not be deal-breakers; it depends on the project requirements. I'd like to point out that it's not MIF Filter's fault - the problems are due to InDesign's lack of exact counterparts for the features you noted. Any conversion tool would have to fake the FrameMaker behavior in order to obtain an InDesign conversion so near-perfect that its pages could be overlaid on the FrameMaker pages and be in very close register.

MIF Filter's preferences offer choices on converting some features, but compromises and overrides aren't eliminated completely. Although InDesign can convert overridden styles to new style definitions, with options on the Type menu, each overridden variant would create a separate new style; depending on how much custom overriding was done, as you said, there could be "tons."

I'm curious about which FrameMaker heading/footing numbering properties you've found that aren't supported in InDesign. There are some book-level variables that InDesign lacks, such as $volnum and $volname.

Some users report problems with InDesign's cross-file cross-references. DTP Tools' commercial Cross-References Pro plug-in for InDesign has all the cross-reference format features that FrameMaker offers, plus some additional features; both FrameMaker and Cross-References Pro's features exceed InDesign's.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

I'm curious about which FrameMaker heading/footing numbering properties you've found that aren't supported in InDesign. There are some book-level variables that InDesign lacks, such as $volnum and $volname.

Peter,

you can't define a running header variable that displays the paragraph number of the referenced paragraph format, like "5.2 Setup". The "Running H/F" variable is limited to the text portion of the paragraph.

Some users report problems with InDesign's cross-file cross-references. DTP Tools' commercial Cross-References Pro plug-in for InDesign has all the cross-reference format features that FrameMaker offers, plus some additional features; both FrameMaker and Cross-References Pro's features exceed InDesign's.

Yes, InDesign's own xrefs are unusable, when working on a FM-style book with several chapters. The reason is: you can't disable automatic xref updating while working on a chapter. This means, ID constantly opens and closes all referenced documents in the background, which brings the application to a complete halt. Completely unusable, garbage. However, I've successfully used DTP Tools' plugin for this purpose (on > 300 pages manuals with lots of xrefs), because this plugin has an "disable auto-update" option. These xrefs also come through an IDML translation process.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Be.eM wrote:

Peter,

you can't define a running header variable that displays the paragraph number of the referenced paragraph format, like "5.2 Setup". The "Running H/F" variable is limited to the text portion of the paragraph.

Yes, InDesign's own xrefs are unusable, when working on a FM-style book with several chapters. The reason is: you can't disable automatic xref updating while working on a chapter. This means, ID constantly opens and closes all referenced documents in the background, which brings the application to a complete halt. Completely unusable, garbage. However, I've successfully used DTP Tools' plugin for this purpose (on > 300 pages manuals with lots of xrefs), because this plugin has an "disable auto-update" option. These xrefs also come through an IDML translation process.

Bernd

Hi, Bernd:

Thanks for the reminder about running h/f's inability to capture autonmbers. Interesting that InDesign's cross-references can. I've suggested the feature enhancement for h/fs at least once at wish. If you haven't, please add your voice. Also, add a request for the ability to turn off X-ref updates; a more-usable book will help many users. Sooner or later we can wear down the resistance<G>.

Thanks for giving your positive experience on a major x-ref project with DTP Tools' x-ref plugin.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd, many thanks for the excellent response. I will let you know where

we go with this but with your advice and experience and the help from Peter Gold I now feel that our guys are armed with enough information to make

the correct workflow decision for this project. You may have saved us from scoring an own goal!

Many thanks

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kevind1966 wrote:

Peter, our Studio is considering the MI

F Filter plug in for In Design. I will have our Studio Manager read the review that you kindly directed me to and see what his view is. We have not seen a sample of the source files yet so I am unsure if the documents are structured or unstructured.

The game plan (I think) it to be able to produce print ready files in the 3 European languages for the client. We will be doing the translation service, online soft proofing and managing the printed output too. I do not yet know if we need to return the files back to their natove Framemaker format but it is a question we will ask the client.

Many thanks for your response. I will keep you posted.

Regards

Kevin

Bernd's response is spot-on. You'll see the points he makes about inter-paragraph spacing differences, and copious paragraph format/style overrides that MIF Filter creates in the InDesign conversions, noted in my review.

You probably know from real-world experience that changing anything in a proven-efficient workflow can be problematic. It's a good idea to have a solid reason for making chaanges. The most important risk factor in your proposed change from FrameMaker to InDesign, as Bernd also noted, is the uni-directionality of the conversion, especially in a translation workflow. If the client expects to receive the translated FrameMaker files, stay in FrameMaker.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines