• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG transparency not working when importing in AfterEffects

Participant ,
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been saving the pictures for Web & Devices -- PNG-8, transparency is checked, as far as Matte goes, I've selected "none" .... however, when I upload the images into After Effects, they all have white backgrounds instead of being transparent! I have combed the archives and can't seem to figure out what my problem is. If I ticked transparency, shouldn't it be transparent??

Even with transparency selected, if I do click Matte, it will use that color as the background in AfterEffects. But especially if I have "none" selected for matte, why is there a background showing up? I realize that I could try PNG-24, but file size is absolutely essential, down to the kilobyte, so I need to keep it at PNG-8.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

You'll have to use PNG 24

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to use PNG 24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I ticked transparency, shouldn't it be transparent??

No. AE doesn't do palette based transparency. The image is not really transparent, it's just one color being tagged as such that a rendering device (browsers for instance) will blend in teh background pixels in place of the color. It just doesn't go together with how AE works. As Rick said, you will have to use 24bit PNGs.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

when you say "You'll have to use PNG 24" do you mean i have to use PNG24 only or a PNG type that's 24+ like PNG24, PNG32, PNG48 and PNG64?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines