Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Previous Topic Next Topic links in Merged Projects

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have followed the steps mentioned in Peter Grainge's website http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/merging_webhelp/merging_method_rh8.htm for merging projects. Except that I have 3 topics in the Parent project and I have not used the redirect in the first topic of the parent project.

The Previous Topic and Next Topic links do not work properly both in the parent project and I am unable to navigate to the child projects using them.

Capture1.jpg

Regards,

Deepti Korwar

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Those buttons are intended to work with something called a Browse Sequence. They don't traverse the TOC unless you design the Browse Sequence to do so. But in a merged setup as you have, I'd be very surprised to discover there was a way to coax them to work as you want.

Hmmm, in thinking about it, I'm guessing you might coax the behavior by creating redirect pages that point to the desired topics and placing those in the Browse Sequence.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot create a single browse sequence across all the projects. Rick's suggestion should work though.

In each project create a blank topic in the same way that I suggest for the parent topic. Put that at the end of the sequence and use a redirect to the first topic in the next browse sequence. As far as users are concerned, that should work as one sequence. It is not something I have tried but it should be OK. The time between topics might vary a little, you will have to test to see if it is acceptable.

You mentioned that you have three topics in your parent project. I hope you have avoided links between them and the child projects in either direction.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick and Peter,

It is working fine. But it produces problems when I am re-using the topics across projects using the redirect method.

Capture1.jpg

Here vcd in parent is actually as redirect to View Content Details of child2. So when I click next from vcd it jumps to View Newsletter of child3. I know that I am asking for too much but is there a workaround for this too?

@Peter :- I did not understand what you meant by avoiding links in the topics of parent project. Can you explain in more detail or direct me to a topic on this?

Thanks Again,

Deepti Korwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the link "vcd" is a redirect to a topic in Child 2 but it goes to the book in Child 3? If the redirect is correct, then there has to be more to this. They look to be a means of switching from one project's output to another but that is not needed in merged help. Clarification required.

If you create links between the parent and a child or a child and the parent in the source using the RoboHelp interface, they will break in the output. That is covered in my Merged Help topics. You can of course handcraft them but the whole point of the method I describe is to avoid that and the inherent risks.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Peter. "vcd" is a redirect to a topic in Child 2. I have used the script code that you have mentioned in our site. I want it this way, as I would be reusing a lot of information among the child projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have topics in the parent and one of them is a redirect to a child two topic. What code is in the redirect of the topic?

If you click the redirect from child 3 VCD what happens?

Remember I did caution against having topics in the parent.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp