Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I change the chm encoding?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody!

I'm using RoboHelp9 (Version 9.0.1.232) to create chms for a context-sensitive help.

The htm-topics are UTF-8 encoded, that's fine, but the chm ist Windows 12.52 encoded, an encoding that doesn't work for our purposes because special characters in other languages cannot be displayed correctly.

Can anybody tell me what to do, so that chms are also created with an UTF-8 encoding?

Thank you very much!

Louisa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can because CHMs are dependant on the really old Microsoft HTML Help Workshop. I suspect the limitations come from that, not from anything you do in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for your answer!

The thing is

1) it used to be possible to generate UTF-8 encoded chms with RoboHelp 7 (although I don't know how, otherwise I could maybe adapt that process for RoboHelp 9), but I've seen them.

2) It must be possible to encode chms with something else than Windows 1252, because that encoding only includes so called Western European characters. So you definetely need a different encoding for Slavic, Asian or Arabic languages etc.

Has anybody found a workaround?

I'm sure some of you are creating chms in German, French, Spanish, Czech, Japanese etc. Do you just leave them encoded in Windows 1252?

If so, how do you compile them when you're creating an in-procu context sensitive help?

I'd be very greatful for any hints!

Louisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp