Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp "Stay on top" option?

Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are developing RH9 WebHelp and/or HTML Help for use on a corporate intranet viewed with the standard IE browser. In building the help content is there a way to force the IE window containing the help to always remain on top of user's desktop?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot force the browser window to stay on top. CHMs do have that option but they cannot be viewed across a network unless you make registry edits.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. The promptness and clarity of your answers remains awesome.

As a second-best alternative, is it possible with WebHelp to restrict the default size of the window on opening to, say, one third of the desktop?

This would have the advantage of not covering up whatever else the user is looking at.

Michael West | Business Improvement | Aurecon

Ph: +61 3 8683 1144 | Fax: +61 3 8683 1444 | Mob: 0407 485 228

Email: WestM@ap.aurecongroup.com

PO Box 321, South Melbourne | VIC 3205 | Australia

http://www.aurecongroup.com

http://www.aurecongroup.com/apac/groupentity/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is not something I have looked for but maybe a javascript solution could do that without grabbing focus in the way Rick describes with the Stay on Top scripts.

I believe your developers can deliver the help in a window they define and maybe that can be configured for size. It's not something I have looked for as whilst I understand the logic of displaying the help alongside the application, I prefer to let users decide how they work for themselves.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I've seen JavaScripts used to coax a "stay on top" condition of browsers. They do exist. I've actually tested them.

However, before choosing to implement them you *seriously* need to consider the implications.

Whereas a typical Windows "Stay on top" allows the window to be always visible yet handing focus to another application where the user may work. But when you implement one of these javascript solutions, focus is always stolen and given back to the browser. This means the user is unable to switch away from the browser for any length of time whatsoever and it will be the cause of many computer crashes.

Not hard drive crashes, but computers crashing to the floor in utter frustration by your users.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp