Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compatibility with previous Robohelp

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Are the latest versions of Adobe Robohelp such as Robohelp 9 compatible with files created with older versions, such as Robohelp x3(eHelp Corporation)?

I mean a tutorial created from Robohelp X3, can be opened and modified in Adobe Robohelp 9.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Hello again

Recreating from scratch is always an option, but I say why reinvent a perfectly good wheel? When you boil it down, content is content. Sure there are some additional codes or whatever that may need a bit of dusting off and cleaning up, but I certainly wouldn't want to waste my own time re-creating perfectly usable content.

My vote would be to migrate. But as with anything, your mileage may vary.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Indeed you should be able to open the older project using the newer version. But I'd certainly advise working with a backup in case things go wrong. Never hurts to be safe.

There is no going back. Once you upgrade a project using 9 you cannot expect to edit it with the older version. Additonally, versions 8 and 9 change the playing field with how the HTML is handled. As a result, certain things appear to break. You can read more at:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/rh8.htm

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh9/rh9.htm

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response.

So, if a conversion is done, is it likely to get many errors?

Is it advisable to create help files from scratch in Robohelp 9, rather than making a migration from X3 to 9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Recreating from scratch is always an option, but I say why reinvent a perfectly good wheel? When you boil it down, content is content. Sure there are some additional codes or whatever that may need a bit of dusting off and cleaning up, but I certainly wouldn't want to waste my own time re-creating perfectly usable content.

My vote would be to migrate. But as with anything, your mileage may vary.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

One last question about Robohelp X3.

In our company we are using it a while ago, and we acquired the license. The problem is that it can only be used by a PC simultaneously. These PCs are all connected to a network.

Does Robohelp work only for a computer, or it is a matter of license?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current RoboHelp licence allows you to have the application installed on a PC and a laptop. Crucially though you can't have two people working on the PC and laptop at the same time. This is designed for users working from home. RoboHelp X3 licences maybe different however as they were released before Adobe got their hands on Macromedia. The licence maybe the same but you should be able to check by clicking the Help > About menu item and reading the text there.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

I'm not sure I totally understand the question. So what I'll do is simply state the way I understand things to be and maybe in my response it will somehow give you what you are looking for.

Typically you install RoboHelp on a single PC. That PC may be connected to a network, but the license is on a "Per PC" basis. As you work with RoboHelp, it "binds" itself to that PC through an activation scheme.

Now the rules say that you may also install a second copy and activate on a different PC. The intent is to allow installing on either a Laptop or on your home PC so that you may take work home. But you are limited to two simultaneous activations.

In no case are you allowed to install RoboHelp on a network where many different users could take turns operating it. There may be a way to coax that by some sort of software metering, but that is delving into the dark arts of network administration sorcery. I have no clue whether RoboHelp would behave nicely in that manner.

Hopefully that helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp