• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Can't I Download Flash Player?

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have repeatedly tried to download Flash Player after getting pop-up messages from Adobe that tell me I cannot open attachments to emails because I need Flash Player 9.0 or higher.  The messages say to download the latest Flash Player click here.  I follow the instructions to the letter and get a message that the download of Flash Player 10 has successfully been completed.  Then the next time I try to open an email attachment I get the same failure message.  I have also gotten led to an Adobe tutorial entitled Flash Player | 64-bit operating systems which directs me to select the 32-bit Internet Explorer system on my computer by going to Start>Programs.  I followed the download instructions using the 32-bit IE system and the download message says that Flash Player 10.0 has been successful.  But I still cannot open the email attachments and still get the message that I need to download Flash Player 9.0 or higher.  If I go to my complete list of programs on the Install or Remove Programs, I find a listing for several Adobe products such as Acrobat, ReaderX, Digital each of which has a size in bytes.  Flash Player 10 is listed but there is nothing shown in the byte size column.

My computer is a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion with an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40 GHz  64-bit operating system using Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2.  The default browser which I use is Internet Explorer 64-bit.

I'm 80 years old and trying hard to get along with computers.  Please know that any help provided on this frustrating problem will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  And please make your suggestions in great detail without assuming I know very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Hi Alex, You are doing great!!!! On the Flash Player 9.0 and higher thing. A lot of websites will say that. What they mean is that you need at LEAST that version. In other words, if you had Flash Player version 8, you couldn't use their website. Hope that helps explain those messages. Of course they will support version 10, etc.

Flash Player after it's Installed is listed in Add/Remove (for XP), Programs & Features/Control Panel. Where you have all of your Programs listed, as Adobe Air, etc is wh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Alex, We have a person that is 13 years old needing help, so age doesn't matter when it comes to computers

First of all, with a 64bit Operating System which you have, you need to always use the 32bit browser. Flash Player is not supported when using the 64bit browser. So be sure you are using that 32bit browser, very important.

Now, I want you to open a browser window using the 32bit browser and go up to Help. Click on that and then click on About Internet Explorer. This will tell you what Version of the IE 32bit browser you are using. I need to know that.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnold,

The version of the IE 32 bit browser I'm using is Internet Explorer 9, Version 9.0.8112.16421IS.  Additional info on this About Internet Explorer on the next line of the window reads:  Update Versions: 9.0.1 (KB2530548).  The info in parentheses is in blue and seems to be a link.  I hope this helps.  By the way, I replied with this info to the email that appeared in my Inbox.  I just discovered that I needed to sign back in to post a reply on the thread.  Sorry to be so slow in figuring out the forum procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex  That's what I needed to know. On replying to the Flash Forum and your thread: You will receive an email notification when anyone replies to your thread. Page down a little in that and click on "visit the message page". That brings you directly to your thread. All you have to do then is log in or sign in with your email address and password.

Now, using IE9 go to Tools and click on Manage Addons. Try to find "Shockwave Flash Object". Is that Enabled? If it isn't, then Enable it. This is the Control for Flash Player and must be Installed and Enabled in order for Flash Player to work.

You can also go to this site and when it opens let me know if you can see the Flash Player logo(Red F) animate(spin).

Then the Version of Flash Player that you have Installed will be displayed.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb  adding link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To eidnolb:

Following your instructions, using IE 9 I went to Tools>Manage Addons and found "Shockwave Flash Object".  It was Disabled (as most of my Addons are).  I Enabled it.  I downloaded Flash Player and received a message that it had been successfully downloaded and installed.  I went to the link http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and saw the spinning Red F (the Flash Player logo).  A message appeared that I had successfully downloaded Flash Player Version 10.3.181.34.  I wish you or someone would send me an email attachment that requires Flash Player 9.0 or higher to open so I can test what I've done.  I think there may still be a problem.  When I click on Start>All Programs, Flash Player is not listed.  The listed Adobe programs are Acrobat.com, Adobe Digital Editions and Adobe ReaderX.  When I click on Start>Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall, the Adobe programs include the aforementioned ones plus Adobe Air, Adobe Download Manager and Adobe Flash Player 10 Active X, BUT this Flash Player listing still contains a blank in the Size column while each of the other Adobe programs contains a measurement in bytes.  Also, the date of installation for Flash Player shows 6/28/2011 rather than today, 7/1/11. 

I appreciate your guidance and feel like we are close, but not sure and welcome further comment.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flash player is not a stand alone program.  It is an add-on to your Internet Explorer, it will not show up in All Programs list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex, You are doing great!!!! On the Flash Player 9.0 and higher thing. A lot of websites will say that. What they mean is that you need at LEAST that version. In other words, if you had Flash Player version 8, you couldn't use their website. Hope that helps explain those messages. Of course they will support version 10, etc.

Flash Player after it's Installed is listed in Add/Remove (for XP), Programs & Features/Control Panel. Where you have all of your Programs listed, as Adobe Air, etc is where Flash Player is listed. Flash Player won't list a size, since it's a browser plugin and works thru your browser. The fact that you have it listed there is where it should be. But the proof that it is working and Installed correctly is the fact that you found Shockwave Flash Object in the manage addons and Enabled it. By doing that you were able to see the Flash Player logo animate. That means Flash Player is correctly Installed and Working

You are all set and have nothing more to do!!

The date of 6/28/11 for Flash Player that you see, is not the Install date, it's the date that Flash Player released the version of 10.3.181.34 and that is correct.

The size of Flash Player is under 3MB just for the info.

Now in the future, if you would like a way to have the next version of Flash Player Installed automatically without any fuss, let me know. I use it and Adobe Uninstalls the old, Installs the new and all under 3 clicks of the mouse from me. And it's all done in a minute!!

Let me know,

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, eidnolb, for bearing with me.  I have clicked on "correct answer" on your last email.  You seem confident that all is well and done with Flash Player now happily installed on my computer.  I'll surely let you know if anything happens that proves otherwise.  And please do let me know how to get automatic updates for FP at your convenience.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex, You did very well, finding everything that was needed:-) Yes, I am confident that Flash Player is Installed correctly. You've passed all of the tests 

If you have any problems, it won't be due to Flash Player. So just post a message to this same thread as you have been doing, if you have a problem. That is better than trying to "fix" things, since sometimes one can make matters worse. Guessing isn't a very good practice when dealing with computers.

The following link is to the Adobe website and it is very simple to use. You will see it's the Global Notifications Settings Panel.

You want to put a check mark where it says "Notify me..... Then that arrow allows you to select when. I have mine set to 7 days. That is all there is to it.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager05.html

What will happen is the next time there is a Flash Player Update released, you will receive a popup on your screen telling you this. You can choose "Install now", or if you are busy, choose "Remind me later". Or if you want to Uninstall/Install manually, you can select "Don't Install".  Once you click on Install now, then all you need to do is follow the instructions  and wait until Adobe tells you the Installation is complete and you'll see "Done" in the right hand corner.

Don't forget to use the link from here in the message page, since sometimes using a link from the email notification causes a glitch.

I'm glad everything went smoothly for you and thank you for marking your thread answered

If you are in the U.S. , have a Happy 4th of July!!

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, eidnolb!  I've gone to the link and checked "Notify me" to receive Flash Player updates.  And I'm delighted to report that I found an old Hallmark greeting card which I could not open without "Flash Player 9.0 or higher"; when I clicked on it this time, presto, there was the animated message from my daughter in Utah.  You were confident FP10's latest version was installed and working and I was confident in you.  Now I know our confidence was not misplaced.

A very Happy 4th of July to you as well.  I was, as Springsteen blasts, "Born in the USA", albeit a long, long time ago.  I warned at the outset that I'm a bit slow at computering and you were very patient and detailed which I appreciate.  It took until your last reply for me to realize what your nickname really is!

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Alex, Nice to find things that didn't work before and now do:-) Yes, I am detailed most of the time. I like to do things right the first time if at all possible. My objective is always to solve problems and I don't give up easily. When I do, I send users to Microsoft or Apple or Firefox

Glad you set up the FP notification as I think you'll like that.

I don't know if your area has Fireworks or not, but you can search online and watch them too.

Oh, my nickname, Ha-Ha That would have been easier to spell!!

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eidnolb,

Following your instructions, the About Internet Explorer window shows Internet Explorer 9, Version 9.0.8112.16421IS.  The line beneath that reads: "Update Versions:  9.0.1 (KB2530548).  The last info in parentheses is in blue and underscored like a link.  I hope this helps.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also check (in Internet Explorer) Tools | Manage add-ons, if Shockwave Flash Object is present, and if it is enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One additional question: what email client do you use - something like Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or Thunderbird?

Or do you use a web-based mail provider like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail (on Internet Explorer)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My email program is via ATT.Net.  It is labeled at&t|Yahoo! Classic.  I believe it is part of my Internet Explorer system.  Thanks for all.  Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My email server is at&t | Yahoo Mail Classic.  Does that answer your question?  Let me know if you need more info.  Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex1016 wrote:

My email server is at&t | Yahoo Mail Classic.  Does that answer your question?  Let me know if you need more info.  Thanks.

Yes, thank you.  I just wanted to make sure that we only have to deal with Internet Explorer, and not another email client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding to this thread because I, also, have been having the same problem.  I've gone through ALL of the windows troubleshooting and tried them all.

I am running a 32-bit browser (IE 9), but have a 64-bit OS (Windows 7).  I even did the suggested creating of an additional user account and tried installing flash player there.  It worked perfectly, but when I came back on my main account, I still get the same problem.  When I do the check for the install (it shows as installed in Control Panel/uninstall area), I get a white box with a red circle with a line through it in the left hand corner.  It doesn't show any version as being installed.  When I try to play a website video, it tells me I need to "update" my adobe flash player.  When I go to the website for Adobe and hit the download flash player button, it goes to the screen that shows what to do if the yellow bar comes up...and then it does...nothing...Absolutely NOTHING!  Last night when I was working on this problem, it would install the Adobe Download Manager and show flash player as being installed, but it still wouldn't work.  Flash Player was working fine for me prior to the June 28th update...Now I can't get it to run no matter what I try.  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Apple iPad and I really need the Media Player. please what can I do.  Ernest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't post completely unrelated questions in other peoples' topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

Sorry to but in, but I have the same problem, when I go to the flash player link given, I see the Red F, but it is not spinning.  When I go to options in IE, about, I see Cipher Strength 256 bit. I'm on IE 9 and running a Dell 64 bit.  I can not get Adobe to download 10.0 the only thing that comes up when I try and download are the four warning windows that tell me how to install (yes to active X, etc...) i never do get any kind of install execute.  When I go to control Panel I do see Flash 32 bit and i do see Adobe Flash Player 10_Active X, and I do see Adobe 10 Plugin.  However, when I go to U-Tube, or other sites, It tell me I need to download the latest Adobe, and then I'm right back to the beguinning, no Adobe download.

Kind of stuck here.  The same thing when using Firefox, or Chrome...no Adobe download starts.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading the installer from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Also make sure that you use the 32-bit version of IE9 (not 64-bit).

If you still have problems, please start your own topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as JamesBond_07 and have posted my own post entitled (Unable to do ANYTHING with Flash Player...).  I also posted here because my problem seemed to match the original posters problem so it seemed that it would make sense to keep similar problems in the same posts (as other forums request you do) so that all would be referenceable to one area as opposed to being spread out over many posts, so please don't get on people's cases about posting in different posts if they have a similar problem.  They are only doing what tha majority of forums request you do for troubleshooting problems with their software.

JamesBond, I have the EXACT same problem as you are having with my main account.  I was, however, able to make a second user account and install and use the new updated flash player on that account on the same computer as suggested by another site.  This still doesn't fix it for my main account (the one I NEED), but is a quick fix if you need to see something online using flash until someone can help us figure out what's going on since the June 28th update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi flutie, I just replied to your thread you started, thanks.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 04, 2011 Jul 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. The only thing wrong with mine was Active X filtering was checked...I unchecked it and everything worked fine.

IE-9 > Tools > Safety > Uncheck Active X Filtering.

My iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines