29 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 5:50 AM by Islanders66 RSS

Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

CandleManDave1977 Community Member

I'm on a PC Windows7 Home Premium 2.88 AMD w/ 14GB Ram--- Production Premium CS5-

I have two cameras I am  editing a wedding.

Camera 1's footage containing about 6 seperate files is on one path of the time line (path 1)

Camera 2's footage is on the second.

I trim the clips to have the entire ceremony go from camera to camera to create the best scenes for the ceremony.

Since SA's Color Finesse has better features to color grade, what I did was right click the cut clips and clicked 'replace w/ after effects composition.' The first one asked me to save a file which I did. I then went down to the different cut clips (some of them on the same source file, some not and I sent them to AE in the same fashion to grade.  One time AE and PP crashed and when I reopened the project, the clips were red. I was able to manually relink the clips, but when I when I closed the programs and wanted to do this same process, I had to save another file which then made all the clips I had previously worked on red and missing.

I know there must be a pattern or rule that must be followed or else it all goes to crap. What is the pattern???

I also tried to color grade in AE and then I sent the AE file into PP it said that it did not have SA Color Finese 2.0 in PP  (which mine is suppossed to be 3.0 in AE), thus all my work that way is wasted unless I render.

Thus, I want to be able to trim, arrange my clips in PP, then color grade w/ SA CF in AE. I don't like the color tools in PP.  Am I stuck w/ having to buy something to color grade in PP? 

• 1. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects
          Fuzzy Barsik Community Member

Hi

Have a look at these two threads:

- the first one;

- the second one

Hope, it helps...

• 2. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

There are different patterns you need to follow to use the dynamic link between PP and AE. Through different experiments, I only came to 1 conclusion that I know works. So, to create the dynamic link you right click and the first time you do so in a project, it prompts you to save an AE file. IT IS VITAL TO ALWAYS USE THIS SAME FILE WHEN LINKING IN THE FUTURE. At least from my experiece. Thus, if you close your project and try to continue to use the replace w/ AE in the same project when you reopen it, then YOU MUST OPEN the original AE file that you have established the link to.If the link in your timeline uses another AE file it will break the links between the others. At least that is what happened to me w/ different trials.

When you want to edit the linked file, be sure to hit 'edit original' and not the replace w/AE command.

This is where my personal tests have stopped today.  I had to redo all my work from yesterday today which included synching, cutting, arranging and crappily color grading in PP before I could go back to AE and Synthetic Aperture to link into the project which is what I really want. I'm not saying you can't grade in PP, I just spent many days learning SA and not PP grading tools. I'm going to play around with this once my main work is done and I would like to make a master list of how to use dynamic link and what can and can not be done.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Nope.

So as to create Dynamic Link you may either right click on a footage in PrPro timeline and replace it witn After Effects composition or create a composition right in AE and then import it to PrPro project via Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import After Effects Composition...

If you try to export your AE composition, which has third party plug-in effects, as PrPro project and open that project in PrPro, you always get an Error.

If you right click on existing AE composition in PrPro timeline and choose 'Replace With After Effects Composition', you obviously replace it with a brand new composition. But you still have previous one in your project bin.

Dynamically Linked AE composition is editable within AE at any time.

There are no needs to open this composition in AE so as to play it on PrPro timeline.

If you have some issues with playing recently edited AE composition in PrPro, including displaying correct content, you just have some issues with rendering.

All you nedd is to re-render Entire Work Area

• 4. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

You're not following what I am doing.

I like Color Finesse to grade my work. So I chop everything in PP, add transitions. Then, I want to grade the clips in AE w/ Color Finesse.  That's it. So, say I have 30 clips that need grading on the timeline. I right click the first and hit 'replace w/ AE.' This prompts me to save an AE project. I do so. Now, I can go down all the clips and each clip is saved as an AE comp in the bin in PP and also in the project created in AE. So, you only have to save 1 project in AE that is linking all the comps in PP. BUT, say you only finish 1/2 of the clips you are working on. You close out your work and the next day or whenever, you want to finish grading the rest of the clips. So you go to the next ungraded clip and right click to replace w/ an AE comp. It will prompt you to save a new project. PP does not recognize that you already have a linked AE project. If at this time, you save a new AE project, then it loses the links with the previous comps and the original AE project. They turn red. The only fix then is to go back and relink them which is not effecient. What needs to be done is you have to open the original AE project that you created when you started. Then when you go to the next clip you want to replace, it doesn't ask you to save a new project, it automatically adds it to the orignial project which is what you want. Now, I have not tried to save a new project and have both the original and the new project open to see if that works. That would require testing that I'm not ready to do at this time. If you don't believe me, do it yourself. Add a clip, chop it in half and on the first, hit replace w/ AE comp and do something to change the clip. Save the AE project, save the PP project and close it down. Then reopen PP and not AE. The first clip will preseve the link, but when you go to replace the second clip w/ an AE comp it asks you to save another AE project.  Do that, and then watch what happens to your originial clip. It turns red. But, if you open PP and your original AE project that is linked to the first clip...when you right click the second clip to replace w/ AE, it automatically connects with the first project AND your original linked clip is preserved.

• 5. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

You like Color Finess. So do I. As well as other AE plug-ins and AE itself - it's awesome!

Do I use Dynamically Linked AE compositions in my PrPro projects? I can't live without!

I usually create a 'heavy' AE composition in one AE project file, whereas some 'lighter' other in another one.

And all they would be then linked and work in PrPro project...

Just try to be a bit patient (breath in, breath out), re-read what I was talking about and try to experiment... All you need is there...

You may have a look at that thread in addition...

• 6. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects
                    lasvideo Community Member

CandlemanDave, I just tried to replicate your problem. I am on a MacPro running CS 5.5. This may not be exactly what you are doing, but in terms of DL I think its the same process..

1. I import a 2 min. clip

2. I select the first 5:00 sec and edit it to the timeline.

3. I I then select from 5:00 to 10 sec. and edit to timeline

4. And repeat 3 more time for a total of 5 clips in a sequence.

5. I hilight clip 1, right clik and send to AE. I give it a unique name, color correct and SAVE.

6. I return to PP and render clip 1.

7. Then I highlight the second clip, send to AE, name it a different name, CC it and save.

8. I tab back to PP and render the second clip.

9. Rrepeat 3 more times. Then save the project.

10. I close PP then open it again. There is a period where PP searches for the clips when it displays the word "Pending" and then the sequence is restored as I cut and cc it.

When Im done there is 1 file for PP and 5 files for AE. Each AE file represents the color correction of each clip. This maybe where we differ in work flow. But I can vouch for the reliability of this approach. I hope this helps.

• 7. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

So CandleMan have you resolved your issues with dynamic link?

• 8. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Yea man,

Here's the problem I had and would have if I continued doing this...

Timeline1- 3 clips----Day 1- you place effects on clips 1 and 2 w/ 'Replace w/ AE comp'. W/ 1st clip it prompts you to save an AE PROJECT file that becomes the link...it creates the AE comp file and places it in the PP project bin. Clip 2...as long as the AE PROJECT file that is linked to the first file is open, I can create a dynamic link for the second file and it automatically creates the AE comp in PP....Here's where the problem happened...

Day 2- so I come back the 2nd day (or whenever)... I had closed and saved the AE and PP project files that are linked together. When I open the PP project I'm working on, the dynamic links for clips 1 and 2 are in the bin...no problems. But, if  I go to clip 3 to replace that one w/ an AE comp., when AE loads, it prompts me to save an AE project file again...If I save ANOTHER PROJECT file, then all the AE comps linked to the previous PROJECT file get delinked. What actually seems to happen is that clip 3, since it is technically the first comp in this NEW AE PROJECT file, the effects applied to clip 3 and clip 1 become tied together. Ex...If I do adjustments to the AE comp that is linked for clip 3, say I just make it bright blue just to see the effect, not only does clip 3 turn blue, but clip 1 also turns blue....The solution to this is when I open PP and want to go to my next clip, in this case clip 3, I need to open the original AE PROJECT file that is linked to clips 1 and 2.  Then, if I do this, it automatically creates a new comp for clip 3 (it doesn't prompt me to save an AE PROJECT file) and there are no problems. That is the solution.

Important notes--- When I create the AE comps and they get loaded in PP, I did not rename them something else. I just kept the generic name AE and PP created for the linked file.  I need to test what happens when I go and rename the created clip to see what happens.

Also, I do not know what happens in different time lines. All the work I've done has been in 1 time line and 1 timeline only.  And, I have all the work on one path in the timeline, meaning I do not have clips stacked on one another.

From now on, when I want to replace PP w/ AE comps, I will always open the original AE PROJECT file that is linked to that PP project and can easily access this file by right clicking an already replaced (linked) clip and choosing 'edit original.'

So basically what you were duplicating with your tests failed to close and save PP and AE, then reopen PP, go to another unlinked clip and hit 'replace w/ AE comp." It should ask you to save another AE project...do that and you'll lose your other linked clips but 1 and the new one you are creating that first time. It does it on my system 100% of the time. I'm going too test it now BUT rename my comp links.

I'm really not that worried unless it is a bug in my program because I can always just open the original AE Project when I want to replace the clips. Thus far, it has worked w/ dozens of unique clips using the same source files as well as different source files. I have not had one problem w/ broken links provided I do this. It scares the **** out of me though not knowing what could happen, but I'll be keeping a close eye out and saving my work on a regular basis as I progress.

• 9. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

I understand. In my testing today I came to the same conclusion. All the AE linked files MUST be in the same AE project or things get wonky.Your trick about activating the file by using Edit Original just to get it open is smart.

Ive also had the render files disappear when I shut everything down and then started up editing again. But it didnt seem to consistantly happen.

I think your discovery about have ALL the AE linked files in the same AE project is crucial to this process. Nice work. Please keep me posted as things develop and I will do the same.

• 10. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

PLEASE IGNORE MY STEP BY STEP DESCRIPTION  REPEATED HERE. ITS NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THIS PROCESS.

1. I import a 2 min. clip

2. I select the first 5:00 sec and edit it to the timeline.

3. I I then select from 5:00 to 10 sec. and edit to timeline

4. And repeat 3 more time for a total of 5 clips in a sequence.

5. I hilight clip 1, right clik and send to AE. I give it a unique name, color correct and SAVE.

6. I return to PP and render clip 1.

7. Then I highlight the second clip, send to AE, name it a different name, CC it and save.

8. I tab back to PP and render the second clip.

9. Rrepeat 3 more times. Then save the project.

10.  I close PP then open it again. There is a period where PP searches for  the clips when it displays the word "Pending" and then the sequence is  restored as I cut and cc it.

• 11. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects
                              How does that work ?..

UPD: Something is going wrong with Adobe image uploader now... Here is the link to full size image

• 12. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

So Las, what do we do now. I'm new to this forum. I guess we should post to personal messages since my original question is basically answered. I definately want to keep up to date on what we discover as far as the proper way to use AE w/ PP and all the pitfalls that could beset us.

My new test I did this evening actually works as well. If you go in and rename the clips once they are created then you can go and create a new AE project and the newly linked clips work AND the original clips tied to the first AE project also remain linked. I did this, closed out the program, reopened PP and ALL clips were showing their proper changes.  It seems there is a generic file path that Adobe screwed up in not naming the actual file that is linked. This makes sense to me because of the following...

If in session 1, clips 1 and 2 are replaced w/ AE comp and not renamed in PP but keep the original name given automatically by Adobe, AND, you close out and save both the AE and PP project...Then on reopening PP only, the following happens...

Replacing Clip 3 w/out opening the AE project connected to clip 1 and 2 will prompt saving a NEW AE project...Upon doing this Clip 1 from the previous session AND clip 3 have the same properties. If you do something to clip 3, the same effect is applied to clip 1. This makes sense because Adobe is not recognizing that clip 1 and 3 are in different projects, but the generic name is applied to both. Its fking weird. But, this pattern happens down the line...if you replace clip 3 in a new AE project, it applies to 1...if you replace clip 4 in the same AE project as clip 3, then it is tied to 2, ie the relationship between clips 2 and 4 is that they were the second clip replaced in their individual sessions. Clips 1 and 3 are the first clips replaced. Hence the bug....After causing the bug to happen when I saved two projects using the generic name given automatically by Adobe, where 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 are sharing the same file path, I closed the second AE project and reopened the first AE project (the one that created the original 1 and 2 links), AE crashed and I got an error message.

So it seems the two methods are either open the original AE project when replacing new clips in a new session or be sure to rename any new clips you replace. I'm going to do both since its good to rename the clips for organization purposes and its also safe to not have to worry about accidentily not naming the clip which causes the bug to trigger.

Let's do this...when we run into trouble, let's PM each other so that we can keep an update of what can go wrong.  We may want to keep a master list of steps that we need to check when new releases of CS come out so that we can verify bugs aren't present with methods we use.  Because man, if you have a big project and by accident you don't rename a file and you're in a different AE project and keep going and going...you're going to lose major work and time. I've already been in that boat.  There are a few rules listed under dynamic links in the literature for PP. We should go over them and verify what they mean so as to avoid them as well. Some of the other problems you had may be found in that.

• 13. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Yea, you renamed your files when you replaced  w/ AE comps...What I was doing was not renaming them..that is the ultimate problem for the bug I was having. If you do not rename the clip, but just keep the automatic name given by Adobe and close out that timeline... And, If you reopen it and replace another clip in that line and save it under a different AE Project and DON"T rename it but keep the auto name, then you'll get the error.  It has happend 100% of the time for me.

To duplicate...put a clip on the line...cut it into 3 pieces...render and replace the first two and DON"T rename the comps that are linked...

Close out and save the PP and the AE projects that are now linked.

Reopen only the PP project...clips 1 and 2 hold their link...but go to clip 3 and click 'replace w/ AE comp.'  Save a different project name in AE and DON"T RENAME the clip...Now, your clips 1 and 3 share the same dynamic link....make a change to clip 3 and clip 1 will duplicate the same effect. Clip 2 will be red.

Solutions to this problem are either A. rename all linked clips as soon as you do them. B. when you reopen PP, be sure to open the linked AE file before replacing any additional clips.

Thanks for your help man, it was truly a fking weird problem I was having....

• 14. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Wrong answer!

What did you actually see on the picture?

• 15. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

got me then bro, I don't know what you're talking about...

• 16. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

1. There are tree AE comps on the timeline, which are stored in TREE DIFFERENT AE projects.

2. AE is not running, whereas the PrPro project timeline is green.

As I have already told you, it doesn't matter how to create Dynamic Links - by replacing footages in PrPro timeline via right-click and 'Replace With After Effects Composition' or building a composition from scratch in AE and then importing via Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import After Effects Composition...

What you DO really have with Dynamic Links in CS5.5 is some bugs with rendering (perhaps, related to CUDA and Mercury Playback Engyne - I don't know).

And what DO you really need to solve the issue is to re-render 'Entire Work Area' but not just 'Effects in Work Area' after editing your AE composition.

And all you need to get access to that option in case it's grey is to select and copy a composition on the timeline into clipboard (Ctrl+C / Cmd+C).

What is more, all the above was in my very first post...

• 17. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Actually, it does matter how you do it. Las verified it w/ his system. If you follow the steps I outlined in the last post, I will bet you the ranch you will get broken links. Seriously, just do what I say to do and if you don't get the broken links, then your system is different than Las's and mine. Yea, you can have 3 different AE projects linked in 1 PP timeline and it won't bug out, but you better damn well rename those comps when you replace else you WILL get the error I had trouble with. I'll gladly video myself doing this and show you.

I wish in the first post there would have been a link or wisdom that stated you have to RENAME the comp or it will provide a faulty link IF YOU CLOSE DOWN THE PP AND AE and then create a NEW dynamic which prompts you to save a new AE file...IF YOU HAVEN"T RENAMED YOUR NEW COMPS, it will bug out. That would have saved me many, many hours.

• 18. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects
                                            I'm on a PC Windows7
                                            then your system is different
                                            keep on...

Unsubscribed

• 19. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

I just made a video of it if you ever want to see

• 20. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Candle. please describe in detail the second approach where you rename the clips in a step by step fashion. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around exactly how & where you are doing this.Please create a numbered list like I did earlier for you. I think that will clarify it for me.

I tend to like Approach 1 where all the AE linked clips are in the same AE project just for organizational purposes, but want to at least understand Approach 2 where you can have several AE projects.

It might be a good idea to combine both approachs...have all the DL clips in one AE project but renamed for safety?  Becuase if you are working on a big project and need to add one more DL, it may save memory to create a new AE project and the redundant name issue could rear its ugly head here.

PMing sound like a good way to go unless other folks are interesting in solving this issue as well.

I dont know if its a language barrier or just me, but Im not really following what Fuzzy is talking about and how rendering is effecting his issues.

BTW Im on a Mac Pro / 8 gigs ram / Ati graphcis card / OSX  10.6.7

Where is the video you said you just made. I dont see a link.

BTW, what part of the world are you located in? Someday this stuff might get so confusing I might need to call for clarification and better communication.

Im in Las Vegas (hence the Las Video).

• 21. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects
                                                  needles27-Sm3DjP Community Member

Since you mentioned it, I am very interested in seeing this video and nailing down this workflow as well.  DL is the main reason I switched over from FCP7, and I haven't had the opportunity to fully wrap my head around it yet.  You have gotten me worried that one false move can wipe out so much!  Seems like having a very rigid workflow with this can save many butts.  Thanks to all of you who have put in the time for others, and I hope to contribute as well.  PS - Las, is your Kona card up and running smoothly?

• 22. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Needles, the Konq 3 is up and running. It displays PrP, AE and PS on my engineering monitor Just a little more tweekingof the drivers is needed when working with DL.

• 23. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects
                                                      needles27-Sm3DjP Community Member

What problems come up with your monitoring when doing a DL?

• 24. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Vegas,

Yea, Fuz got [edited by hos] and swears we're beating our heads w/ a rake. I don't know if he just won't do the steps I'm doing and is hard headed or if his system is just different. Since you and I are experiencing the same problems, and I can duplicate the problem 100% of the time, I know I'm right and working in the right direction.

My system is very bare bones other than the RAM. I have an HP 6520f, stock graphics card, Windows Home Premium 7, Anthalon II 2.88 Processor, but I do have 14 GB RAM. I'm currently on CS5 Production Premium. ( I do plan on building a good system w/ windows if we start making more than we spend.)

I'm in Frederick MD, USA. Personal email is <email address removed for privacy protection> . I'll send you my contact info if you shoot me an email.

That said....

1st method is to use the same AE project for each clip as we have discussed. The only thing I have tested is 1 timeline applying one unique effect to different clips.

Method 2....

Scenario- you have clips spread out on a PP timeline and want to begin replacing w/ AE comps....No other AE project file has been linked to this timeline and AE is closed...

Step 1- Go to 1st clip and right click 'Replace w/ AE Comp.'

2. Save the AE Project file when prompted.

3. PP automatically creates a file in the Project Panel (this is the area in PP where you have bins, source files, sequences etc that you can drag to the timline.)

4. Go to the linked file in the PP Project Panel

5. Rename this file to something unique.

To detail this process- My PP project file name is AE Trials and the name I gave the AE Project was 77. So when I replaced the first clip w/ an AE comp, PP automatically created the file:   AE Trials Linked Comp 01/77.ae  This is the file name that automatically shows up in the PP Project Panel when you replaced the PP clip w/ a AE comp. Yours will be different and AE Trials will be your PP project name and 77 will be the name you gave to the AE project when prompted.

For the second method to work. if you go to the linked file and RENAME, so instead of AE Trials Linked Comp 01/77.ae, I change it in the Project Panel to something like Clip1 or whatever unique name I decide, then you can close out everything, open up PP, go to clip 2 and now you can replace w/ an AE comp, save a Different AE Project file and your first clip will not be effected. IE..the bug is fixed. HOWEVER, you must change the automatically created file name for this second clip in the Project bin or else you'll run into the same trouble we have shown.

So as long as you rename the automatically named linked file in PP, you can use many different AE projects files.  Now, how far you can take this and the different ways you can still get screwed I don't know.

• 25. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Dave, so if Im following correctly, you change the name (in PrPs project window) of the new AE DL file that you just createdt. But the thing that concerns me is that the name of the DL file in the PrP project and the name of the same DL file in AE project are different, since you said to only change the name of the new AE linked file inPrP. You didnt say anything about chaging the name in AE. If you need trace files at a later point, isnt dangerous having 1 file with a different name in each application?

I sent you a PM with details for furthur communication.

• 26. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

You know what is so screwed....I tried to video record the problem and the events that have happened 100% of the time did NOT happen this time. I was actually able to go in and use different AE projects w/out renaming the file in PP w/ no problems. Then, when I wasn't recording, the bug happened....I thought I had a logical pattern figuered out for  this bug, but this proves there is no logical pattern that is obvious. Which that scares me even more. I'm sticking w/ just using the SAME AE project file for all replacements in PP. That seems to be the safest bet. Like your intuition is tellilng you, I'd stear clear of renaming them just to be safe and try to keep the same file names (the one automatically created by Adobe). Let's hope there isn't some random bug that finds its way into our projects. I feel confident enough to use this since it is so much easier to do than actually rendering works to place in PP. I'll just be saving more copies when large blocks of work are being done.

• 27. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Thats pretty ironic about the bug happening when you tried to document the process. I concur, 1 AE project for all the DL's related for 1 PrP project...until we discover otherwise

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP/After Effects Editor

[url deleted by host]

• 28. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects
                                                                Arlo Ihrig

Hi all - I know this is a somewhat old post, but I am seeing the same thing with CS5.5, all current updates.  I'll be using the method of 1 AE file for all of my replaced clips. 

BUT, has Adobe acknowledged this, talked about, replied, etc?  I can't seem to find anything about it.

• 29. Re: Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects
                                                                  Islanders66 Community Member

So far I haven't experienced these issues. I coldn't follow what CandleMan was doing wrong. I wonder if he wasn't clicking save after color corrections in AE for each clip? All of my clips are connected and I've closed and restarted AE in the same timeline to clear up ram. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Update: I can't duplicate the problem. I have no problem with dynamic link to replace clip with AE. I even closed AE midway and restarted the replace clip with AE, creating a new AE file with a different name and it all works perfectly. I can close the PP project, reopen it, all the clips are on line, and can edit each original clip by right clicking.