• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong page numbers on PDF export (ID CS5.5)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Export to PDF out of a book document (with 12 single documents in it) results in wrong pagination (30, 31, 33, 31, 35, 31 ...). Direct Export out of the same single document is right. I cannot see any difference between the single docs, but the phenomen is only in some parts of the book.

What is the thing about this? Did anybody have similar effects?

Thanks for any idea!

Carsten

MacBookPro Core Duo

Snow Leopard

InDesign CS 5.5 (Design Premium Collection)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check all the docs first

Use the sub menu in the book panel to Update Page Numbers (only this one)

If it's still not working

Delete that book file and start a new one with File>New Book

Import the files fresh and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you post back, give us some real details. Version of ID, export settings, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that did not solve the problem. I did that already and tried it again now - with no different result. It feels like being a bug.

More details: ID 7.5, Acrobat X 10.1.0, MacOS X 10.6.7, export option: [Kleinste Dateigröße] (=Smallest ...)

Any ideas what I can do? (Will now export every single file to make my waiting customer happy).

Regards,

Carsten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting a selection of files in the book and use Export Selection to PDF

See if the issue still comes up.

If it's still not working, try exporting the problematic files to IDML and open them (opens as Untitled)

Delete the old file from the book. Then insert the newly saved InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried a lot now:

Single doc selected, export selection to PDF => works

3 docs selected (the one before and after the "bad" one), export selection to PDF => works

same with 4 docs => works

all docs selected, export book to PDF => wrong

all minus one (=11 docs) docs selected, export selection to PDF => wrong

making idml and reimport => works (one of 4 concerning docs tested)

Though I would like to know what the issue may be I say:

Thank you a lot!

Carsten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well in CS5.5. I only have 9 files in the book. I have 10.6.7, Indesign CS 5.5.  Could it be a bug?  I've never had this before and I've used the Book feature for years and never had this until I upgraded to 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, I used the workaround with .idml - BUT today after opening the bookfile again, the same problem occurs again. So the answer is not really answered. I am sure now, that this is a bug. I opened all .idml files in ID CS4 and put them into a bookfile - everything works fine! Maybe also in CS5. I have no time to test this. So the conclusion for me is to do not use ID 5.5 until this is officially fixed.

Best regards,

Carsten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - I'll check this out in CS5.5 later today!

If anyone else can test this?

If it is an issue then I couldn't upgrade for work ... sigh. Hope someone can clarify!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the 7.5.1 update, and the problem went away. But I also read on IndesignSecrets.com that if you install the 7.5.1 update, that some plug-ins from CS5 won't work (or something to that effect). But that may have been resolved so do your own research. I don't pretend to be an expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2011 Jul 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case the update makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2011 Jul 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case the update makes no difference.

Meaning it did not cause you problems with plugins, or meaning it did not solve the wrong page number issue?

Thre is no concern with plugins, unless you have purchased a third-party plugin that is not compatible with CS5.5. That is a minority of users, chiefly enterprise users, catalog users, and font management utiity users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only as far as the wrong pagenumber issue is concerned. The project is done now in CS4, which worked perfectly. I tried CS5.5 (7.5.1.) with my further book document and found the same false behavior. So I will not waste more time to that for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. The 7.5.1 update did not solve the problem for me either, and the idml round-trip only solves it intermitently. Exporting each document separately and combining the pdfs in Acrobat is the only safe work-around, but really inconvenient on large books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xSarah, do you find the same problem with CS5? Just asking, because I went back to CS4 to be sure to have no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macromac, I upgraded from CS4 to CS5.5, so I don't know if it happened in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping up this thread to see if anyone has figured out anything new regarding this problem. It is really bumming me out. I reported it to Adobe on their bug report/feature request form, but they don't reply back, so I have no idea if anyone is looking into it or not.

Any new thoughts?

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like this problem is sufficiently complicated that that

without a copy of your test file, it's a pain to reproduce.

If you want a response from Adobe, you need to use the Adobe Support

Portal. http://adobe.com/go/supportportal. Among other things, that

will allow you to attach demonstration files, and also ensure someone

from Adobe gets back to you.

If you post a file publicly, I think a number of us would be

interested in looking at it. (Or you could email it to me.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. If anyone wants to look at this, the files should be available here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38282222/cs5.5tests.zip

These are just some small excerpt files that show the problem (starting on what should be page 25). Most of my books are giant text books, so the problem becomes quite a bit bigger.

I have also submitted a case to Adobe. Their first suggestion is to export to idml, even though I told them I already tried  that and it doesn't solve the page number problem every time. The Adobe message to me was actually a verbatim copy and paste of Step 1 through 5 from this webpage:  http://www.creativeprogression.com/indesign-book-pdf-export-problem/. Good to know they can use Google, just like me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced this issue a couple months ago when CS5.5 was first released. At the time, I was not able to find much help online. Because I had experinece in IDML helping to fix other problems, I tried the IDML export and it solved the problem for me. I wrote up my experience in an article on my website, which Sarah just mentioned in her post:

http://www.creativeprogression.com/indesign-book-pdf-export-problem/

Unfortunately the IDML workaround does not seem to solve the problem in all cases, as Sarah and others have pointed out. I've only experienced the issue in one of my books, out of about a dozen I've done so far in CS5.5.

My main purpose in posting is because I find it disturbing that Adobe tech support is plagiarizing this and perhaps other articles with no reference to the source of the information. While I feel honored that the Adobe rep felt that my information was worth passing on to an Adobe customer, to do so without proper citation is unprofessional and can lead to very big problems for the company. To that effect I've written a new article on my site today:

http://www.creativeprogression.com/adobe-tech-support-commits-blatant-plagiarism/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the feedback everyone has given on this. For now, I'm going to send individual PDFs rather than a single PDF created using the BOOK feature. I just can't risk my client thinking I'm incompetent and don't feel like having the check the page #s every time I generate a PDF in a 688-page textbook. I do not want to even try to do the IDML workaround because I have found slight variations after saving "down" and then opening in CS5 or reopening in CS5.5.  I don't have to tell anyone what havoc can be experienced when a single character bounces to the next page. I just can't risk it. Hopefully there will be a patch someday soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sarah, thanks for posting some files. I just tested them -- I was able to recreate the problem. I then exported the files to IDML, then reimported the IMDL, saved the files, and put them into the book in place of the old files. When I made a PDF, the page numbers were correct -- so the IDML workaround fixed it for me in this situation. I know that in some cases the IDML workaround isn't fixing it for you, though, so I know this doesn't really help you 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have experienced exactly the same problem in ID5.5 on Windows XP SP3.

Also problems with other automated elements (running heads) occasionally containing the wrong text (from a previous chapter of a book) when exporting a whole document to PDF, but not when exporting shorter chunks.

Ivan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2011 Aug 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into what may be a related issue today. I've got a book with 22 chapters and I'm using InDesign's Index panel. When I generate the index, some of the page numbers are blank, so there is a comma, a space, then another comma -- indicating a missing number. When I look up what the missing numbers should be, they all come from just a couple documents -- so once again it looks like the book panel is having problems with the numbering of a couple documents.

I'm guessing these two issues are related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, here's what I got from Adobe after several back-and-forth messages:

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support.

As per the discussion with the senior level, I have logged this issue with my Product Team and Engineering Team as Bug # 182559740. Our Engineering Team will look into this issue, and if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

I am closing this case as of now and if you have any new information, please contact us within 14 days, with the details, so that we may re-open this support incident.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for choosing Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines