Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Server Error - Macromedia application server(s) are unreachable

Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my test environment, I've got a ColdFusion 8 instance running on Windows 2003 Server. Everything was fine until I rebooted the server. Then I started getting an error message:

quote:

Either the Macromedia application server(s) are unreachable or none of them has a mapping to process this request.

My first thought was an application mapping error or something happened to the .cfm mappings. Everything checked out fine though. So I looked in the wsconfig log files and saw this.

quote:

2008-06-04 16:54:58 jrISAPI[ 760:1048] could not initialize proxy for 127.0.0.1:51800
2008-06-04 16:54:58 jrISAPI[ 760:1048] Couldn't initialize from remote server, JRun server(s) probably down.

Something was definitely running on port 51800 though since I could telnet to it. No clue why it couldn't initialize. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Steve
TOPICS
Connector

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart IIS (World Wide Web Publishing Service) when this happens. That'll restart the connector and you should be set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that did not work. I tried rebooting the server, restarting IIS, restarting ColdFusion, checking the bootstrap config to make sure the ports were set up properly, checked permissions, and just about everything else I could think of. Eventually I just uninstalled and reinstalled ColdFusion.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Stop CF Application server. And don't start it from Services panel.

Open command prompt. And then, run the bin\jrun.exe from command prompt. Run CF server from Jrun launcher window. This way you will see any important messages/error in command window.

If you dont find jrun.exe you may go to command prompt and run cfstart.bat

Sam
Adobe Certified Flash and
Advanced ColdFusion Developer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very very much, samunplugged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2009 Aug 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You samunplugged.Very good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CF 9.0.1 Enterprise on Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ IIS7.5

I configured two instances under a single cluster. I then configured a site in IIS to use the cluster.

I used the web server configuration tool to configure the new site as well as the Default Site

I can serve .htm pages but requests for .cfm pages result in the error in the browser:

Either the Macromedia application server(s) are unreachable or none of them has  a mapping to process this request.

When I restart CF using the Jrun Launcher I get the following error on the console:

The connection to the remote JNDI server on host localhost at port 2909 has failed

The one and only CF related thread I found on this refers to CF7... wondering if you have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance,

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, it may be that somehow both of your instances (or some other(s) on the box) are using the same JNDI (or "naming") port. I don't claim to know positively what's up with all that, but I will note that there are at least 2 places in the configuration that refer to JNDI ports (and not the same ones).

Since you refer to clustering, you must be running the Enterprise Multiserver form of deployment, so these would be within JRun directories.

\lib\client\CLIENT-INF\jndi.properties

And one each for your instances:

\servers\[instancename]\SERVER-INF\jndi.properties

In my multiserver deployment, the java.naming.provider.url value for each instance was different, so you'd at least want to make sure that's the case there. If not, and you correct it, you'd need to restart the changed instance for it to take effect. (For what it's worth, curiously the value for just one of the instances was used within the client-inf file listed first. Again, I don't fully understand these JNDI reference. I will say that they besides whatever else they have long been used forperhaps especially something related to clusteringthey are also used in the new CFBuilder configuration of a server, when that server is "remote" to CFBuilder, so it's getting ever more important to know and properly configure these.)

Finally, for those on Standard or Enterprise/Developer Server deployments, they would find these files in the directory where CF was installed:

\runtime\servers\coldfusion\SERVER-INF\jndi.properties

\runtime\lib\client\CLIENT-INF\jndi.properties

Hope that helps a little. Let us know what you find.

/charlie arehart

charlie@carehart.org

Providing fast, remote, on-demand troubleshooting services for CF (and CFBuilder)

More at http://www.carehart.org/consulting

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your input. I checked out the three jndi.properties files you mention and they are configured exactly like you described.

JRun4\lib\client\CLIENT-INF\jndi.properties uses port (X)

JRun4\servers\[instance1]\SERVER-INF\jndi.properties uses port (X)

JRun4\servers\[instance2]\SERVER-INF\jndi.properties uses port (X+1)

I did a restart and... the error that I was getting in the console is gone now but the sympton was still there.

Server Error

Either the Macromedia application server(s) are unreachable or none of them has  a mapping to process this request.

Before the restart, I used the registry editor to remove a couple of entries from the Services control panel related to botched CF instances. Maybe those invalid services were causing my JNDI issues?

So, next I used the Web Server Configuration Tool to unlink everything from CF for fear that I may have messed something up the first time around. Now I'm serving .cfm's with no problems.

JRun Host: localhost

JRun Server: prod (cluster)

Web Server: Internet Information Server (IIS)

IIS Web Site: All

Configure... option checked

All's well that ends well.

Thanks again!

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear, Rod. Could you mark the question as answered? That's used by some people to help manage the forums. Thanks.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen how to mark questions as answered in other discussions that I have started but I don't see that option for this thread. Could that be because my question was posed in the form of a response to another user's existing question? In other words, I don't own the question so I can't mark it as answered? Probably the wrong way to go about it but the topic was related to the original post.

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I missed that you didn't start it. Right, only the person who created the thread can do that. No worries. It's just a little-noticed feature that I like to point out when I can (the ability to mark questions as answered).

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2008 Oct 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

samunplugged, thanks for information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I can tell, this error displays when the web server connector exists, but JRUN (coldfusion) server is not running.

I have spent 3 days trying to repair this error message on my Windows XP CF9 Standard Edition.We had coincidentally made some network changes which I assumed right away was the culprit. When I would try and start the JRUN server manually (jrun.exe) it would fail and the log would specify an error to the effect of:

"RMI transport layer does not exists." <---- not the whole error. But it should be specific enough for someone else with the same trouble to find.

I deleted the web server connector from wsconfig.exe and tried to re-add it. Which also failed:

"Could not connect to any JRun/ColdFusion servers on host xxxxx.

Possible causes:

-Server not running:

-----Start Macromedia Jrun4 or ColdFusion 9 server

-Server running:

-----JNDI listen port in jndi.properties blocked by TCP/IP filtering or firewall

-----host restriction in security.properties blocking communication with server"

I knew then (since JRun was not running) I wouldn't be able to re-add the connector until I resolved the JRUN "RMI transport layer does not exists" error. After 2 days of unsuccessfully making sure I had done everything I could to allow the ports that JRUN needed, I was still convinced this was a port issue. I also noticed that MSSQL Express (unrelated service) was not starting either. STRANGE!!

Decided to run MalwareBytes and after a "Quick Scan", it did find a few infections. I removed the infections and MalwareBytes requested a reboot, rebooted, and VIOLA!! Working.

If your ColdFusion configuration was working (in my case for at least a year) prior to a reboot, and then suddenly can't start itself, be sure to run a scan to remove any infections. I'm assuming my infection was blocking the ports that JRun needed to startup. Good Day!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We had the same error after upgrading from MX7 to 9.  In our case there were some virtual directories in IIS that for some reason did not receive the new CF9 mappings for the various cold fusion file extensions (.cfm, etc).  Manually setting them in IIS resolved our error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation