Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LMS Window Close (exit button...again)

Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know this is a freq. encountered issue. I thought I had fixed this but apparently that was just wishful thinking.

If I publish my project with the full screen option, the lesson is opened as a child window and the playbar exit button works as advertised; the window closes.

If I enable LMS reporting and perform the same steps, the playbar exit button does not work.

What's up with that? What is it about the published SCORM version that disables the exit button?

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that according to the SCORM standard you are only supposed to have one course module communicating with the LMS at any given time.  In your case you have TWO windows open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I am testing my files on my laptop, SCORM has little  to do with it, in my estimation. Unless the SCORM support .js in Captivate disables the window close. I did not see that.

It really begs the questions:

1) What exactly does the playbar exit button do (how does it work) in a regular web page? and;

2) What does it do when deployed as part of a SCORM package to an LMS?

I know Captiv8r has written about window closing being an iffy proposition.

I run courses in the LMS that have multiple windows open. As long as you have control of the session, it's not an issue. The exit button works in my custom courses, so I think I should be able to get it working with Captivate.

I could not determine if there is javascript that is triggered by the playbar exit button. We know it's subject to the vagaries of javascript and browsers, etc, when trying to close a window but that's about it.

It is sometimes something like changing window.close() to window.top.close(self).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You say you are testing locally? If so, have you added the location where you are running the Captivate created movie from to the list of trusted locations for the Flash Player?

Perhaps that would change things.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be it:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2205390

I hope forum search gets fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would like some form of ability that enables us to close down our Captivate movie that does not use the Captivate playbar.  Is there any JS we can attach to it, so it will either close down the window or if its running in a browser, it closes down the browser window as well?

TIA

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

The simplest approach is to configure the Start and End option so that the end option is to close the movie. Then insert a button or click box object that points to the last slide. The net result should be that the user clicks the object and the last slide is visited. If the window is capable of being closed (and depending on how it was opened to start with, it may or may not close. More is described at this link) it will indeed close.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point re security, Rick. sadly, not the issue.

Tweaking the code in the .fla for the exit button as suggested stops the button form working at all.

Publishing for SCORM in some way changes the behavior of the exit button but I cannot see how.

There is a support_scorm.swf file but I seen no source .FLA file to even check it out.

I realize I can create a seperate button but, by Jove, I want to use the very simple and persistent playbar controls. I want to bend that button to my will!

Gotta be an explanation for what is going on behind the scenes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I did to get the exit button in the playback bar to close the content window in our LMS. I did not want to have a seperate button object.

Your mileage may vary. I may be violating some SCORM rules but too bad. The trace shows the terminate is clean, as the code runs upon the unload of the content window. I do not have a quiz in my SCO/SWF.

File locations are as they appear on my laptop. I am using ActionScript 3 in Captivate 5 on Windows XP.

Backup app source files if you are skeered of breaking them.

1. Edit the playback FLA for the skin you are using. Mine is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5\Templates\PlaybackFLA\AS3\SpaceBlue.fla.

Edit the action code for pbcBtnExit. Add two lines in red:

var btnTipsId = 8;

function onClicked()
{
import flash.external.ExternalInterface;
ExternalInterface.call("closeWindow");
parent.onPBCBtnClick("exit");
}

2. Save and publish the playback FLA to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5\en_US\Gallery\Playbars\AS3.

3. To include tweaked code every time you publish for SCORM, edit the HTML source code. The folder is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5\Templates\Publish\SCORM\2004, as I choose SCORM 2004 in the Captivate reporting preferences.

The file can be Custom.htm,Default.htm or SendTrackingDataAtEnd.htm, depending on what you select as the Template in the reporting preferences of Captivate.

Add this script in the header:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" TYPE="TEXT/JAVASCRIPT">
  function closeWindow (message){
  window.top.close(self);}
</SCRIPT>

You may have to play around with the javascript to find the right opion that works in your situation.

Save.

4. Publish the Captivate project. Exit button now works for me.

There may be an easier way to get the Exit button to do this but I did not see it. I submitted an enhancement request to Adobe suggesting that the Exit button should be programmable to some extent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I faced similar issue and found a simple work around. Please refer the thread below. In nutshell, when published for SCORM/AICC in Captivate 5, Exit button does not work in both local and server. The only place it works is on LMS, that too, when opened in a different window. More details below.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/874798?tstart=0

Hope you find it useful.

Regards,

Lokesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources