• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Icons used to Show Preview of Document - Now it shows PDF Icon

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat 8 on a 64bit Windows Vista Home Premium Operating System. I just bought this computer and installed Adobe Acrobat 8 on it. On my other two computers (one vista, one xp) the normal Adobe Acrobat File Icons are changed to show a preview of the first page of the document. I work a lot with long lists of Pdf files, and the preview feature has been a great help. I am wondering if there is a setting on my new computer that I need to change to replicate this function that I have been enjoying on my other two computers.
TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Hello All. I had the same issue. I am using Windows Home Premium with Service Pack 1. All I did to get the preview of my pdf files was to Open Acrobat Reader PC / Edit / Preferences / General - I then checked the box to "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" save your settings let Acrobat Reader do what it needs to do. (this only takes a few seconds) and that is it you will now have your previews.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2009 Mar 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find an answer to this?? I have been having the same problem, and nobody knows what I am talking about....

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not received a reply to this problem, I just posted last week - hopefully somone will know the answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this in Acrobat or the Windows Explorer? Is XP also the 64-bit version?

Sanctus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem take place in Windows Explorer and Acrobat. If I try and access my PDF files from explorer or by opening my files in Acrobat - the same problem persists. For instance if I go to my computer and then navigate to my documents which contains a pdf file, when I look at the file, If says PDF Adobe with their image, and contains no preview of the document itself. XP is not the 64-bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue,.. I am using Vista Home Premium 64bit edition, and Adobe Acrobat 9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single page or single spread PDFs will display a preview in an e-mail client or web browser, but I've never seen multipage PDFs with preview that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running in WinXP, but if I change my view to thumbnails, it will give me a first page preview on a multi-page pdf. But only for scanned PDFs, not for PDFs printed from another program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2009 Mar 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't view the first page preview of a multi or single page document even in thumbnail view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2009 Mar 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your PDFs scans, or prints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDFs are Scans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2009 Mar 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marin85 on forum.thinkpads.com found a workaround to this problem. Seems that the problem happens on 64 bit systems. Win 7 32 bit version creates the .pdf thumbnail previews automatically with Adobe Pro v9. However, this is not the case with Win 7 x64. Note sure about Vista or XP, but it could be the same 32 bit/64 bit issue.

If the thumbnails are not being generated automatically, in order to create a thumbnail preview instead of the regular pdf icon, you only need to browse to some folder containing pdf files FROM WITHIN ACROBAT READER and select the 'Tiles' view from within the 'Open files' window. Then Acrobat creates thumbnail previews to the pdf documents contained in that particular folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy.

Thanks for this solution, it worked for me.  I too just switched to Vista x64 and have the issue where my scans were not previewing and only showing the red Acrobat icon.  I opened the reader, chose File Open and pointed it to my folder of PDFs and chose Views/Large Icons and it created thumbnails that were available to Windows Explorer.  Thanks, this was, like the other folks, really bothering me!

--dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2011 Jan 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the steps as your suggest ,i still have the issue. so sad!

Win7 32-bit Ultimate

who knows the workaroud ,please let me know.  thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

This fixed my problem. It is still annoying, but at least there is a reasonably quick fix for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just found this, in Win 10, in the view plane at the top of the screen, uncheck 'Item Check Boxes', and in Folder Options, uncheck 'Always Show Icons...'  This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a fix for it :

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/index.html

It will fix both the preview of icon is not showing and the preview of the content of the document is not showing

Download the fixes:

The installer and executables are digitally signed. Thanks to GPSoftware for signing them for me.

You'll need to re-run the preview-handler fixer each time you update Adobe Reader. A start menu shortcut is provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that the above poster has only posted in these forums one time and the files he is pushing are not coming from the Adobe site.

They may be perfectly fine but I'm just saying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why i also posted the link to the original author's site ,

you can take the file directly there if you don't trust my links.

It solved my problems so i just wanted to share it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Not trying to sound like I was accusing you of anything.

Guess I'm just trying to point out that it isn't an Adobe product so it's user beware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not matter if it is from adobe or not, but it makes me angry, that adobe did not solve the problem themselves. A lot of time went by and we still have to patch after each update from adobe again. Thats a shame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2010 Dec 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that fix! It worked on my new Win 7 64 bit machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

groovegsus wrote:

There is a fix for it :

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/index.html

It will fix both the preview of icon is not showing and the preview of the content of the document is not showing

Download the fixes:

The installer and executables are digitally signed. Thanks to GPSoftware for signing them for me.

You'll need to re-run the preview-handler fixer each time you update Adobe Reader. A start menu shortcut is provided.

Well yeah this is it! This fixed it for me.

It's too bad Adobe doesn't take care of these bugs that they create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have found the answer. You are a master and deserve thanks from Adobe! ***Thankyou***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines