• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 5.5 to Android and/or iPhone App

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please tell me of any tutorials about how to get an App to Android/iPhone via Captivate 5.5? I don't know the first thing about apps, at the moment, but often use Captivate to make nice applications etc. I would essentially like to know how can I design something in Captivate and then transform it into an app which I can then advertise as such for Android/iPhone users to download.

Your help is much appreciated!

Paul.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By coincidence I just saw a post on this in the LinkedIn Captivate forum:

http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=59420012&gid=683507&readyT...

Michael Hinze has started a discussion: Deploying Captivate demos on Android Devices

"After the recent discussion about converting Captivate demos to iPad/iPhone apps, I wondered if it is possible to deploy Captivate demos on Android devices as well. Android-powered phones and tablets are rapidly becoming more popular. After some research and testing, I succeeded in installing a Captivate demo on my Samsung Galaxy II Android phone. The conversion process is not very intuitive and required the use of Adobe’s AIR application (included with Flash CS5 and 5.5), but does allow you to convert a Captivate file to an Android app. The basic steps of the conversion are as follows: 1. Publish your Captivate project as a .swf file 2. Create a self-signed certificate (the easiest way to do this is through the AIR for Android settings screen in Flash CS 5.5) 3. Create the required XML-based manifest file that includes application description and permissions 4. From a command line, run the ‘adt’ command (see Flash CS5 help files for details) to compile the swf file into an Android app (.apk) 5. From a command line, run the ‘adb’ command (see Flash CS5 help files for details) to install the app package on your Android device. This is yet another option to re-use Captivate demos!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. I will endeavour to give it a try!

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or just point to wherever the Captivate file is on the web - Android

phones and tablets support the full Flash player.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steve.

Would that then be a case of deciding whether to use web based material vs an application?

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve got a point and it seems like Captivate production isn't a problem with all phones except iOS !

So I too have a question, how to bridge that iOS gap ?

OR is it mission impossible cos of the ongoing Adobe vs Apple WAR !

Any ideas ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not Mission Impossible - you can deliver Captivate to iOS in a

number of ways, you just have to make a little extra effort.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ! Steve

Great news indeed, so is it convenient to share that 'little extra effort' ?

* This IOS thingy is driving me away from captivate, forcing me to build iOS apps using online appps builder *

I'm all ears ...

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sarcasm?

Soooo - publish to iPhone (and iPad) then following these instructions

is too onerous?

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/09/publish-to-iphone-from-captivate-5-and-elearning-suite-2.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2011/03/create_elearning_content_for_i.html

yes you need to consider the screen size and not everything is

perfect, so some experimentation is necessary, but the same is true

for any mobile application and device.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sarcasm intended, Steve

Just a guy desperately in need of help.

Thanks lots

Will try out ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK

Sent from mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whizzed through an attempt last night using my iMac and published an app to my Android phone. Unfortunately the app just showed a blank white screen. I am guessing that it may be something wrong in the .xml file settings? I will try a more steady approach this week.

One question. When launching a Captivate project from Device Central for use with Android, should I select AIR 2.5 or select from the Flash Player listings?

Thanks,

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App worked fine this time around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Steve, not all Androids support Flash; I believe anything below android 2.2 doesn't support it, and quite a few current devices still run below this (my phone came with 1.6, and the latest update is only up to 2.1, with no plan for an official 2.2 release)

Best bet for cross-platform would probably be html5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some 2.3 phones don't support Flash either.

But good luck finding an elearning content development tool that produces suitable HTML5 output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Before I get deep into taking my Captivate projects and getting them to work on iPhone, iPad and Android platforms, can anyone tell me if these apps will still be SCORM compliant?  I have a requirement to track usage, knowledge transfer and quality through my Learning Management System which the web users do just fine at the moment.  Would this still be the case if the users were to access the eLearning through smart phones?

Thanks

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know if you get a response to this. I have a client that requires an iPhone course to be pushed to SCORM and has specified Captivate as the software of choice. I have provided mobile solutions to LMS via Lectora but not Captivate 5.5. When checking publishing options for a Captivate iPhone template, the choices were F4V which was housed in a different location than the swf zipped SCORM package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Chuck did you ever find out why that F4V was in a different location?  How is the iPhone published content running on iOS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ray.  Did you ever get your answer on this?  I have the same need and would like to use Captivate 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources