Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader X problem - Accept End User License Agreement

Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently updated to Adobe Reader X.

I use Windows XP (SP3) and Internet Explorer.

Now, when I attempt to read a .pdf file a Reader X message pops up with the following message;

"Before proceeding you must first launch Adobe Acrobat and accept the End User License Agreement".

I do not have Adobe Acrobat, I am using the free Adobe Reader X.

Why am I getting this message and what can I do to stop it so that I can again read .pdf files.

This never happened with the previous version of Adobe Reader.

How can I go back to the previous version?

Thanks

Gryphon2345

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Try to change the file's name. I think it will solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we have the same problem here, and we have found out some interesting things:

If the Filename contains the words "CRM " or "SCRIPT" and you use the latest version of Acrobat Reader (10.1.0), you will get the error message you mentioned. We have simply renamed the involved files and everything was fine. There are possible more words which should not be used.......

Greetings

user_no_2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem...looked for an answer and found this:

http://pariswells.com/blog/tag/before-proceeding-you-must-first-launch-adobe-acrobat-and-accept-the-...

which worked for me.  Basically start up Adobe X free reader, go to Edit -> Preferences -> General, check "Enable Protected Mode at Startup".

Not sure what that does, but now I can open .pdf files by double-clicking them.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue reported by Gryphon, however this response is an odd fix IF it were to be available to me.

The "Enable Protected Mode" is a new feature in Reader X that allows for a "sandbox" security layer in Reader. You can read up on that here: http://blogs.adobe.com/livecycle/2010/11/technical-details-of-adobe-reader-x-protected-mode.html

While it does prevent you from opening up certain PDF's directly, we've only seen this when opening up files over our network. The message received was an "Access Denied" issue, and turning this off got rid of that.

In my scenario, I originally attemtped to update Reader 10.0.1 to 10.1.0 using SCUP and the published update. This caused my custom setup to be overwritten (customizations included default acceptance of license agreement, removing Auto Updater, and disableing Protected Mode). I then had to re-create a custom installation using the Customization Wizard with the 10.1.0 MSI file from the Adobe FTP site. After running this, I'm getting the above error now on machines that never had Acrobat.

That being said, Alex's suggestion of turning this on or off is not applicable b/c it's disabled based on my custom installation. The box is grayed out and I can't even enable/disable it anyway.

Anyone out there have a better solution?

UPDATE: It appears that Alex is correct. I removed the registry entry bProtectedMode from HKLM\Software\Policies\adobe\10.0\featureLockdown and was able to open all files w/out the message. However, I'm not 100% sure what this will do to other PDF files as we originally disabled this so that certain files could be opened. So far, this user has been ok with Protected Mode ENABLED, however, in a recent test, I was blocked from opening a web PDF b/c of it on my PC at my desk.

also appears others threads have been started (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3767559#3767559) so not sure when this may be looked at or answered.

Message was edited by: alarose20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same problem. I wrote a post on my blog about how I fixed it. Hopefully it will help in your case as well.

http://patrickhoban.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/124/

Regards,

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you PatrickHoban1, the reg key fix worked for me.

We have this issue for a lot of users and we just found it wierd that if you have a file that gives the error, then just opening the adobe reader program before double clicking on it then it would open fine. Also the protected mode fix would not work in our case as it prevents users from opening a pdf files from a fileshare.

I reported my findings to adobe in the bug report feature 2 weeks ago but I have not gotten any reply back. This is definitely a bug they need to fix ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem! When I double-click to open PDF files, I receive the "Accept end user license agreement" error message. I have tried all of the fixes suggested, but none have been able to solve my problem.

Enabling the protected mode at start-up does not allow me to open the file, as Alex suggested. When I run the process monitor, it does not turn up any results containing the file path that Patrick put up on his website. And like Viper, I am able to open files with no error message pop-up or problems, but only if I have Adobe Reader opened already.

60% of files I receive from customers come in PDF format. It is frustrating to not be able to open directly from my email! If anyone has a fix that may not have been mentioned, please keep me informed!

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error is pretty easy to reproduce.

1. Make a clean install of Adobe Reader X 10.1.0
  2. Disable protected mode in Adobe Reader settings under General.
  3. Take any pdf file and rename to "CR.pdf" or any other containing capital CR in the name.
  4. Try to open the file by double clicking on it in the windows explorer without having adobe reader open.
  5. You will get the EULA warning,

I work in the banking world and CR is used in lots of pdf filenames here as they are short for "Credit Risk" for example.

We have successfully fixed the error on our computers using the reg keys below on either WinXP SP3 and Windows 7 x64.

Use this for 32 bit Windows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\AdobeViewer]
“EULAAcceptedForBrowser”=dword:00000001

And this one for 64 bit Windows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\AdobeViewer]

“EULAAcceptedForBrowser”=dword:00000001

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help... I feel like I am half way there.

I uninstalled, restarted, re-installed and restarted. Same problem was occuring (as expected). I then changed a .pdf file name in one of my drives to CR.pdf. I was then able to open the file, without any problem (Hooray!). But I was not prompted about anything involving EULA.

I am now able to open .pdf documents directly from saved files, but I am still not able to open directly from my email. If Adobe Reader is already open, then it will open and display fine, but if Adobe Reader is not open when attempting to open the unsaved attachment, the error message still comes up.

I don't know what to do!

Please excuse me if I misunderstood part of your instructions. I have very little computer IT experience, so I am waaay out of my realm here. But I am determined to get this fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's the thing:

With v10.1x, PDFs have an issue working off DFS shares - prompting to open the PDF in protected mode, etc. So, to get over this issue we disable the 'Protected Mode' option for Reader. Now that we've come across this 'license' issue, the resolution appears to be re-enabling the protected mode setting. This isn't feasible!!!

Adobe, what is going on here??? How much testing went into this version? When can we expect a fix/patch/update?!?

Unimpressed, London!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try to change the file's name. I think it will solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines