• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extract audio from CD fails in Win 7

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new Dell Studio XPS 8100 running Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.

I purchased Adobe Audition 3.0 and upgraded to 3.01.

Extract audio from CD does work at all -- it does not even open a window to choose a track.

If I try to use the open command, I see the tracks but it says file type .cda is not supported.

(All of the above work perfectly with my old XP computer.)

I know my new hardware is working well because I can extract a CD track to a .wav file using
Windows Media Player.  I can then opoen the .wav file in Audition and edit it.

What kind of dirty tricks is Microsoft Win 7 plalying on me?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Are there any patches to Audition or the OS to fix the problem?

TOPICS
Version 3 and earlier

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am totally unable to usea cd track in audition 3, either as "INSERT FROM CD AUDIO"  or as "OPEN*

the dialogue box does not show tracks on cd

auditionsnip.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the answers are

Yes many others have had the problem of not being able to use the CD features of Audition in Windows 7.

and

No, there seems to be no patch.

I think the only workaround is to use another extraction program, such as Exact Audio Copy, and then import the files.

It's not very satisfactory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly the same issue for me!. i cant play from cd-rom drive also. leave alone extracting audio.any help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Strange and simple fix up is EXTERNAL USB CD-ROM and everything works fine

It looks to me, this issue becomes problem for internal SATA CD-Rom, when BIOS are set in AHCI mode,

while IDE-ATA mode internal CD-Rom works fine, issue was submitted to ASUS, but most likely

it has to do something with INTEL drivers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2011 Mar 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about your problems but Extract from CD works for me  in Windows 7 64 bit with no problem.  Very strange indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PC are you running on? I've got a Dell 8100.

-

RJRadio <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Sorry to hear about your problems but Extract from CD works for me  in Windows 7 64 bit with no problem.  Very strange indeed.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck

Mine is an Acer I7 Quadcore Windows 7 64 bit. Nothing out of the

ordinary. I have the latest 3.01 patch but that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, vers 6.1, build 7601, service pack 1 on an HP x 64

all seemed fine till the last MS update?

Dave (PhilipDavid) Ellwand, 6 Frankby Road, Meols, Wirral, CH47 0NN, U.K.

tel: (int44)/(0) 151 632 5361 mob. (int44)/(0)7985797287

Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:04:10 -0600

To: pdellwand@hotmail.com

Subject: Extract audio from CD fails in Win 7

Hi Chuck

Mine is an Acer I7 Quadcore Windows 7 64 bit. Nothing out of the

ordinary. I have the latest 3.01 patch but that's it.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OncleDave wrote:

all seemed fine till the last MS update?

Unfortunately, that sounds about par for the course...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the advice.

I was very disappointed by the unavailability of any way to e-mail Adobe about this. It may be a Windows 7 glitch, but I can get no information about any forthcoming fixes or ways to get a fully useable version of Audition. I cannot even contact Audition sales about this, just an endless loop of FAQs.

With no information about ways to do a direct copy from cd into Audition, I have uninstalled Audition 3, and I'm going back to an older computer with XP and Cool Edit, and then get Radioman for my laptop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've said before in several places, if you want a reliable system that continues to work, then put AA3.0.1 on an XP system with SP2 and use that. It will continue to perform, because nowadays M$ are only doing security updates for XP, and not screwing with the basics. That, and the fact that AA3.0.1 was designed to work with it makes it a very desirable way of operating, despite what anybody else tells you.

If you want a system to use for real work, then don't ever go with a new OS until at least one major service upgrade has happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just discovered this exact problem using Windows 7 Professional. Any sign of a fix coming?

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have Win 7 Pro (SP1 in my case) and Extract Audio from CD in AA 3.01 works exactly as expected.

So, it seems this problem is specific to certain users/computers, not something inherently wrong in either AA or, perhaps Win 7.  Sorry I can't offer any "reason" why this should be or how to avoid it!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested it, and extracting audio from CD In Audition works fine for me, as well, using Win 7 Pro SP1 and AA 3.01. There have been, as others have said in this thread, many other reports of problems doing this with this setup, and nobody has identified the make-or-break key to it that I've seen.

If it did not work for me, I would personally prefer to stick with Win 7 and AA 3.01 and use the freeware program Exact Audio Copy, available for download on the web, ather than step back to either Win XP or Cool Edit or an earlier version of AA, because the newer versions of Windows and AA are that much better in my opinion. I usually use EAC anyway to extract from a CD because it does a great job of ripping accurately, because its rips work well with AA, and because I don't have to type in all the track data, but as always, YMMV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the replies. I've now installed Exact Audio Copy (which seems rather nice).

Just a bit annoying I can't open a CD in AA, but you've been a great help.

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

voiceboy1 wrote:

Many thanks for the replies. I've now installed Exact Audio Copy (which seems rather nice).

It's always been very good - almost the Rolls-Royce of rippers. We've been recommending it's use since CE2000 days, as that didn't have any ripping facilities at all. And of course you get additional facilities with it as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the 64-bit version of Win 7? I am and AA 3.01 does not

extract audio from a CD on my Dell 8100. Is the problem something that is

due to the way Dell sets up their PCs? Anyone who is running AA on Win 7 64

bit, please let me know whether or not you have this problem and what brand

of PC you are using so I can determine if Dell is to blame. (EAC does work

fine on my system, but I want to extract using AA.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

32-Bit, on a Dell Vostro 230, Pentium dual-core 3.20 GHz with 4 gig of RAM (got the system a week ago).

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck1205 wrote:

Are you using the 64-bit version of Win 7?  I am and AA 3.01 does not

extract audio from a CD on my Dell 8100.   Is the problem something that is

due to the way Dell sets up their PCs?  Anyone who is running AA on Win 7 64

bit, please let me know whether or not you have this problem and what brand

of PC you are using so I can determine if Dell is to blame.  (EAC does work

fine on my system, but I want to extract using AA.)

Sorry, I meant to add that part, yes, I am using 64-bit Win 7 Professional, now SP1 (but worked before SP1 on mine, as well), and AA 3.01. I don't think this issue has been unique to Dells, and as I said, I haven't seen the key factor here that stops it on some PCs but not others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if there is some other software that has taken over as the default

reader or taken over the .cda extension perhaps. In my case were I haven't

seen this problem on Win7 with AA3.1 I see by viewing the cd folder in

explorer that the .cda extension defaults to windows media player and the

properties tab says available to everyone. Is this the same as others who

are not able to read it through AA? Is it an administration issue? At

least as SteveG has mentioned "The Rolls Royce of Rippers" is available for

those with the issue.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My machine that won't extract audio under Win7 64-bit is an Acer laptop.

I haven't looked at this in much detail but it appears that AA3.01 issues commands that are not decoded correctly for the particular CD hardware interface under Windows 7. It may well be that machines with different interfaces and different CD hardware respond differently, which would explain why some machines work, others don't.

I think the commands issued by AA will rely on the mainboard chipset drivers to communicate with the hardware, and different machines here have different CD hardware.

I've now settled on this Win7 configuration for this machine, but I did run it briefly on Vista and even more briefly on XP. I think, but can't be sure, that when I run AA3.01 under Vista on the machine, I will have tried CD extraction, and don't remember having problems. If that is the case, it would point to Windows 7 and the chipset drivers being the problem combination.

I use EAC or, for real work, an XP desktop, so have no reason to add this to the list of Win7 oddities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the default program for .cda to AA and that did not help. After

doing that I again tried to open the .cda file using the open command in AA

and I still get the error message "The selected file does not appear to be a

supported file type." Nonsense! I never had this problem on my old XP

computer. Even tried installing a different CD drive and same problem. A

few weeks ago I spent an hour on the phone with AA tech support and they

were unable to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set .cda to be opened by AA and the extract still doesn't work - BUT double clicking on the .cda file now loads the audio into AA. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that doesn't work here with Audition 3.01 and Windows 7 64-bit.

Exact Audio Copy still works fine and is definitely the program to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines