Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Audition won't start C++ runtime error

Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I downloaded and used the trial version fine for the full trial time. Decided to purchase this weekend. It's not a cheap piece of software, so I'm hoping for some decent support here.

I managed to run the full unlocked version a few times without problems. I haven't installed anything else since it last ran. I did notice that it seemed slightly sluggish today.... then when I tried starting it later:-

Bang!

"Runtime Error" Program C:\Progra...

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applicaton's support team for more information"

I tried a complete uninstall, restart, reinstall... same error. I'm not finding anything relevant in this or other support forms. The error message isn't tellin gme too much either.

Help please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah... it's windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I worked it out. I just renamed the whole settings directory here:-

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Audition\

and it lets me back in... don't what I've lost but at least I'm in phew.

Thanks for he help... cough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well hey, actually you did really well without our help -- you didn't need us!  That took you less than an hour from your first post.

Of course, why in the world your preferences got munged so easily, so recreating them by deleting the folder fixed the problem, well, that's a different matter.  You might have another commenter or two who may have something to offer on that, but overall, there's no clear trigger or the Adobe programmers would have already addressed it.

So, I'm sorry you had an early hassle here, but good job and hope you enjoy getting to know and use the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2011 Jul 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can you please be more specific on what you did... what directory exactly did you change and how since you cant open adobe audition in the first place, im having the same problem everytime i try to open adobe audition i get a runtime error and it wont open, this accured because it was working 10 minutes ago and now it wont work at all thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2011 Jul 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SunnyDeville54321 wrote:

Hi, Can you please be more specific on what you did... what directory exactly did you change and how since you cant open adobe audition in the first place...

He can't be any more specific that telling you the exact path - which he has stated above. And you don't need to be able to open Audition to do this. If you are having difficulties though, it may well be because this file path is hidden by Windows - you will have to make it visible to find it. Because it's W7 you'll need somebody who actually uses it (I don't) to give you specific steps to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 10, 2011 Jul 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file is hidden in Win7, you need to enable viewing of hidden files via Tools>Folder Option>View>Hidden files and folders>Show Hidden files and folders.  The full path to the actual folder is exactly as given in the post above.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have windows xp and i dont understand what he changed basically what path did he change? the actually file im not sure exactly what he is talking about... when i try to open my adobe audition i get a runtime error and it wont open it usally gets the error when the sessions files are trying to load can anyone tell me where the temp folder is for the saved music archive thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SunnyDeville54321 wrote:

I Have windows xp

Well you didn't say that originally - this was a W7-based thread. The path you need is contained within this FAQ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alright thanks i got it working basically just went into that folder(C:\Documents and settings\{yourusername}\Application Data\Adobe\Audition) and deleted everything that was in it and it started working again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When he says "settings directory" what is he reffering to is what i mean as well i have no clue what he is talking about...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot   u are a boss I can now Produce music yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe 5.5 Audition is telling me it can't find my cache directory.  It wont start.  What exactly do you do in the path you specified above? i went there, and ... now what?  thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IKnowaGuy2 wrote:

Adobe 5.5 Audition is telling me it can't find my cache directory.  It wont start.  What exactly do you do in the path you specified above? i went there, and ... now what?  thanks

This has nothing really to do with the settings above, and pretty much everything to do with your cache directory not being available to the software any more, I would have thought!

But if you go to that directory, and delete the whole thing, then Audition will restart with 'vanilla' settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2013 Nov 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey bro I followed everything you said. When I got to the path you put I do not know what to do after that. this is all gray area to me. Please tell me like a 3rd grader what to do after u follow the link. What exactly do I rename? the audition folder? what? please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're talking about the FAQ link and just making a backup, then you make a new folder in another location with a different name, and copy the files from the working folder into it. If you delete all the files in the original folder - the one Audition is actually using - then it will recreate them all as a vanilla set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ! This helped me out. I'd had a sluggish Audition 3, prone to crashing. Then this morning,

it wouldn't even load! just Runtime error business. On Windows 7, and McAfee had updated the night before...

So I recreated my profile for Audtion (as you did) and BINGO! Thank you sooooo much 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool.  Thanks for letting us know (and you're welcome, too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just run into this problem after buying a new computer.  Dell gives out a free year of McAfee with every new purchase.  I've been using an older Dell for awhile with Adobe Production Premium with AVG and never had this problem.  I reloaded multiple times as have many other users here and to no avail.  I decided after reading a post from another user about how his McAfee just updated and then his problem arose and decided to remove McAfee completely from my machine and presto, it works great now.  Switch out your McAfee for AVG and the problem will disappear.  Clearly there's an invasive file that takes over that particular .DLL when running McAfee's software but not with AVG.  I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mark_lasvegas wrote:

Switch out your McAfee for AVG and the problem will disappear.  Clearly there's an invasive file that takes over that particular .DLL when running McAfee's software but not with AVG.

Yes, we've known about this for a while. Getting rid of McAffee is a bit like getting rid of a virus...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, some folks weren't as aware as you.  Just trying to help.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem "the application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

1.Went to that the address  where app data / cache is located

2.(backed up in a seperate local for pre-sets)

3.Deleted that thing

4.Audition started up fine and re-populated the folder.

(I think a windows update gave me the problem)

back up and running. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would still be helpful for us to know what happened. If you encounter a crash like this, please follow the instructions here:

Audition Crashed. Now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines