Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eliminate Home from breadcrumb trail?

Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in RH8, and I'd like to eliminate the home reference from our breadcrumb trail.  Here's why: our RH files usually contain help for different users, each under a different book, plus links to shared core competency files that are shares across all the subsystems of our application.  A single subsystem's Help TOC might look like this:

GETTING STARTED

shared topic--how to access the entire system

shared topic--how to update your password

ADMINISTRATOR VIEW

admin landing page

another admin topic

MANAGER VIEW

manager landing page

another manager topic

We _don't_ want the "How to access the entire system" link to be the home page.  We also don't want a breadcrumb trail from a manager topic to link to the admin's landing page--in other words, no one home page is applicable for all topics.

The ideal solution seems to me to be getting rid of the home page link altogether so that each breadcrumb trail stops at the first topic in the highest book level for each topic.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Hi there

Not sure. I did manage to coax it not to display Home by entering <Alt>+0160 into the field. I'm not sure if just a space will work, but you might try. I used Windows Character Map to find a blank character.

Also, I noticed that RoboHelp insisted upon inserting the separator ( > ) prefixing the topic. So I inserted the same thing for the separator. But you may not like the effect as it will also remove the separator from subsequent segments.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem like the easiest solution to me would be to have a "welcome" topic at the root of the TOC that can act as your home page. Then the next level up would be your Getting Started, Administrator or Manager books.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum--

You're probably right, though I was resisting that option--it will involve a bit of re-work on existing systems, plus some filler text that the user doesn't really need.  Eliminating the "Home" would really solve my problem more tidily.

Still, if that's not possible, a Welcome page may be my only alternative.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Breadcrumbs are added either globally or selectively.

Globally, they are added by editing the properties of the Single Source Layout recipe. You click the Format button and tab to the Home Page Name field. Press Delete and poof! No more link.

Selectively, they are inserted as a placeholder into either individual topics or into Master Pages which may then be used to create or augment selected topics. And in this case you edit the placeholder, tab to the Home Page Name field and press Delete. Again, poof! No more link.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick--

Curiously, when I follow your first steps--which certainly sound like they ought to work--RH reinserts the home page of its own volition upon generation.

I do this:

breadcrumbs.png

But when I click "Finish," I get this:

breadcrumb_home.png

It still has the Home link.

Do you have any ideas about why it would do that?

Thanks!

--Melanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Not sure. I did manage to coax it not to display Home by entering <Alt>+0160 into the field. I'm not sure if just a space will work, but you might try. I used Windows Character Map to find a blank character.

Also, I noticed that RoboHelp insisted upon inserting the separator ( > ) prefixing the topic. So I inserted the same thing for the separator. But you may not like the effect as it will also remove the separator from subsequent segments.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant!  It worked a treat!

Thanks--

Melanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp