• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I eliminate scrolling in a published movie?

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2011 Jul 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CP 5.5, Windows 7, and I have a display that is set to 1366x768 and that is the recommended resolution.

When I capture movies at 1024x768 or 800x600,the user has to scroll down the page to see the entire movie. It doesn't matter what resolution I use to capture the screens,The user has to scroll to see the published movie. What can I do to eliminate the scroll?

According to more experienced Captivate users in my workplace,this was not an issue in previous versions or Captivate.

Donna

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2011 Jul 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm using 5.5 as well, and do not see any change about resolutions.

Perhaps I do not understand the issue quite well: why do you mention the screen resolution? The resolution of the created SWF from the Captivate file depends on the way you capture:

• Application: then the resolution will be the resolution of the window in which the application is opened, if this is full screen it will be 1366x768
  • Screen area: this will allow you to choose the resolution

How did you capture? And perhaps you did a rescaling afterwards, but be careful because the width/height ratio of 1366x768 is different from 800x600 or 1024x768! If you did a rescaling, what did you choose then?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember that the Cp output plays in a web browser, so your users will have all the menu bars, toolbars, statusbars and whatever (jargon: 'chrome') wrapped around whatever you captured.

If you can predict the maximum amount of chrome space being used you can factor that into the size you capture at. If not, then you may need to get your users to use F11 or View/Full Screen (exact steps depend on the browser being used) to get rid of it temporarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If delivering your content from an LMS, there should be an option to play the content in a separate browser window...without toolbars.  This makes it a lot easier to predict what size you need to build your course.

After factoring in all the variables and using trial and error on a number of systems, with and without LMSs, I've found a size of 995x627 to be almost ideal.  It's big enough to display most software apps and websites, but small enough to be viewable by users on 1024x768 systems.

You have to remember that if you have a significant number of end-users on 1024x768 and that's the lowest common resolution you need to build for, then you CANNOT make your screen size 1024x768.  You have to build smaller to allow for toolbars, browser chrome, etc.

One of the first things any wise elearning developer does when they begin a project, before they start creating content, is to survey their user base and find out what constraints are imposed within which they need to work.  Things like monitor resolution, Flash-player version, LMS, bandwidth all play a part in the success or failure of your project.  Find out early rather than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. Yes, most users are viewing on 1024 x 768 and these courses are not going into an LMS.

" I've found a size of 995x627 to be almost ideal."  So, Captivate is set to record at 995x627 but my desktop monitor resolution can be set at 1920x1080 and that will have no impact on the output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's correct.  Captivate will record at whatever size you set it to be.  You just need to position the capture window very precisely.

For all of the software tutorials I capture, I always capture only the area I need to.  For example, I'm currently working on capturing a web-based application. So I just capture INSIDE the browser's content window, not the entire browser window.  That way, when it's playing back inside a browser window it will look just like the original web app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources