10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2011 4:40 AM by k3dj RSS

video reset to start point - after page transition

k3dj

I am looking for a way to ensure that a flash video resets to the start after a page transistion. At the moment the video just starts at the place it ended after the initial page view. I found some info in the FAQ which enabkes the reset for Components but not for Flash Video elements.

Anyone know how ?

• 1. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
          Chris W. Griffith ACP

What you need to do is add some additional interactions to your project. On the element that causes you to leave the state with the video, use the Interactions Panel to add an additional On Click interaction. Then pick the Stop Video choice, then select your video.

Then what you need to do is on the component that returns you to the state with the video, is add an interaction  to Play Video. Even though the video is not in the state, you can select it from the drop down list. This should cause the video to restart.

Hope this helps,

Chris Griffith

• 2. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
            k3dj Community Member

The video is only in one page state of 6. The Element you refer to would in this case be the main navigation menu items which link to the other 5 main sections.

Considering what you have suggested I should therefore apply the 'On Click' Interactions to all of the other 5 navigation menu items yes, as they will be active when leaving the video page ? and the 'Play Video' Interaction just to the Menu Link relative to the page in which the video appears.

I shall try it and see what happens. Thanks so much for the advice Chris.

• 3. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
              k3dj Community Member

Hi Chris

I finally got back to the project and tried to add the interactions as suggested. I found there is a barrier to this method though.

I was able to add the 'stop video' interaction but then F.C did not recognize the SWF Asset as Video and so I was prompted to addd a Video Player and select it. Thus I am left rather confused. Do I perhaps need to convert the SWF Asset somehow before FC will let me add this interaction ?

• 4. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
                Chris W. Griffith ACP

Video needs to be in FLV or F4V format. If you have the video embedded in a swf, Flash Catalyst will not see it as a video, but just as a swf.

Does that help?

Chris

• 5. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
                  k3dj Community Member

My understanding is - that can not be done using CS5 Web Premium.

I could be wrong but having read your reply I opened up Flash and Flash Catalyst to check out the Import and Export and Convert Options and immediately hit a brick wall. I seem to have a habit of wanting to do things with CS5 Web Premium that CS5 just can not do ! Sorry about that Chris.

• 6. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
                    Chris W. Griffith ACP

Were did the video come from originally? I suspect, it was imported into SWF using Flash Professional. It is that original file you need to bring into Flash Catalyst.

Chris

• 7. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
                      k3dj Community Member

I used Illustrator to draw a Spyrograph pattern. I then imported that art into Flash Pro just to add some simple zoom in and out with some rotation.

Once I had that done I began working in Flash Catalyst just to try out all the page transitions etc etc

I merely chose to work that route to learn, just to find my way around CS5 and see how it all integrates.

I read a thread on a similar subject which had obviously got quite heated but I was left more confused than before. I am not sure which of those 'posters' are right or wrong and now I am scared to refer to stuff as video or movie etc since it seems some people get upset - since they are not videos or movies apparently.

Anyway . . . that's how I made the art and how things got set up Chris.

• 8. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
                        Chris W. Griffith ACP

That is the golden nugget! That is not a 'video' but just a SWF animation.

So you will need to use the Actions to control the playback of the animation. I have attached a simple example that you can look at probably easier than trying to read a 'what to do' post.

Chris

• 9. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
                          k3dj Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to educate a newbie Chris - we'd all be lost without some guidance form the gurus - happy kayaking sir

• 10. Re: video reset to start point - after page transition
                            k3dj Community Member

I could not open the files provided as I am using CS5 - however, you indicated enough for me to go back and look at the Actions for SWF rather than Video and that was sufficient. I discovered the 'go to frame and stop' action so I now have that set to stop the animation and return to frame 1 when leaving the page/state.

I tested it a couple of times by leaving the page and then returning and it seems to be working fine so thanks again Chris. Problem solved.