• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

embedded video in ios app

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2011 Jul 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem with embedded video in an iOS app.  I am using FB 4.5.1.  Originally I was using the AIR 2.6 SDK but I have since added the AIR 2.7 SDK but to no effect.

I am building an app that plays a series of videos.  I originally built it for Android and it works fine.  I am displaying the video using the <videodisplay> component.  In my project for the iOS app I get no errors and in emulating the iPad on the desktop it works fine.  When i build the ipa everything works fine and I can load the ipa onto the iPad.  When I run it, the app runs fine, but when I go the one of the views with the <videodisplay> component the views lays out as if the video were present but instead of the video I get a blank space.

I created the video using Premier Pro 5.5 using the H.264 codec and a preset for the iPAd at 640 x 480 4x3 29.97fps 1200kbps.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me, but nobody has posted a response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope they do respond... I think the <videodisplay> component is not optimised for mobile, so I used the actionscript netstream/video class to write my own player.

It worked on the desktop, but not on the iPhone when exported as an .ipa file.

There is very little clarity on video for mobiles, even to someone clearly saying you can/cannot write a video app for an iPhone now.

If anyone out there has managed, please let us know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

On iOS, AIR 2.7 only supports the On2 codec (not H.264). I've seen workarounds where people use StageWebView. For example: http://sonnati.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/air-2-6-for-ios-and-video-playback/

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what you are saying is to encode video using the on2 vp6 codec as an flv, embed it into the flex app and create an ipa?  It seems counter-intuitive to create an flv formate video for a ios app considering ios does not play flash files.  Did I understand your response correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to play the video directly in AIR for iOS, yes. This is a current *limitation* in AIR for iOS.

> It seems counter-intuitive to create an flv formate video for a ios app considering ios does not play flash files

AIR has the code to play on2 encoded videos.

However, if you want to leverage native iOS capability to play H.264 video, then use the StageWebView workaround.

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2011 Jul 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

This is very helpful and I will try it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason my app using the actionscript netStream and video classes didn't work was, as mentioned above (thanks), that I was streaming H.264. I changed the stream to VP6 and it worked fine. As I use both encodings, I guess I will have to use stageWebView for the H.264 ones - hopefully it plays live rtmp streams.

I also read somewhere that the reason Adobe do not have h.264 on the ios platform is due to some licensing/copyright issue, so it may not be something we can expect in later updates.

You have to dig deep to get this info - so thanks to those who share the info. Here's an update - the next Air update, Air 3, will have StageVideo for the mobile platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it on an ipad and it worked great.  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2011 Sep 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I reupdate this post for a linked question : I manage to play my video on the iPad but i don't have the sound oO.

The video with sound work perfectly on the simulator.

Any idea ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines