• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9 - Import Word 2010 - Bookmarks not working

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Technical Communications Suite 3 with Robohelp 9 HTML.

I import a Word 2010 doc (about 400 pages) and generate Microsoft HTML help.

In the Word document we have cross-references to headings and bookmarks. The bookmarks work in Word, they work when I convert the Word Doc to a PDF using Adobe Acrobat X, however when I import the document into Robohelp 9 HTML they do not work.

The cross-references to headings work but the ones to bookmarks end up with href="".

I can edit the html and manually put in the href ="filename#bookmark" and it works but I want it to convert automatically upon import. The booksmarks in the word document read "(see page xyz)", where the xzy is the cross-reference to the bookmark, using a pagenumber field, so that in a printed document the user sees the page number and in the PDF, Word Doc, etc. and hopefully in the chm they can just click on the link.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

david

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested a couple of cross references, one with insert as hyperlink ticked and one not.

In the second page of the import dialog I clicked Edit and ticked Convert References to Hyperlinks.

Cross references to a bookmark worked for me.

Try testing in a simple document and a test project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Thanks for the comments. At your suggestion, I was able to get it to work in a small project using a 3-4 page Word document. However it still would not work in my larger project. I noticed that in the large project there were bookmarks that did work to a point in the document andintermittent there after. I went into the Word document to the first failure and re-inserted a new bookmark with the same name hoping it would have a positive result. The results were the same.

However when I inserted a bookmark with a different name, RoboHelp9 was able to recognize the bookmark and would convert to a link. I went through the Word document and created new bookmarks for the ones that did not work (a big task indeed). Now I am able to use the Word document as the source rather than having to edit the HTML in RoboHelp. This is good. Now only if I can get the footnotes to behave the same way....

Granted, I don’t know why a set of the original bookmarks were not working when they worked in other format conversions (Acrobat -> pdf, Word->HTML, XPS), but I can move on. Possibly it has something to do with Window 7 x64….

But, thanks for the input; it put me on a workable path.

Thanks again,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2011 Jul 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe they had spaces or some character that caused a problem?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp