• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to attach files like .doc, .xls, .pdf and so on in Design Editor (WYSIWYG)

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to attach files like .doc, .xls, .pdf. etc in my Design editor, instead of importing those files. Is there any way to do that. Please help.

Thanks,
Vinay Jaassiel Kankipati

Technical Writer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Vinay

I'm not sure I totally understand what it is you wish to do. Are you saying you want to open these files and see their contents in the RoboHelp editor?

Perhaps it would help if you assume we are someone quite new and you are trying to explain how to accomplish what you want assuming that things worked exactly as you wanted. For example:

Open RoboHelp

Open a Topic for Editing

Click here

Do this

Do that

Now do the other

My thought is by knowing how you are expecting to operate that we might better advise as to whether it's possible to achieve. If so, how you might accomplish it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As I clearly mentioned last time that I want to ATTACH the files in WYSIWYG and NOT IMPORT the contents of the files in WYSIWYG. For everyone's understanding I have inserted this image. When I attach files I want them to be displayed like this. So, when the WebHelp is generated, these files should look exactly the same and if double-clicked, they must open.

file.PNG

Thanks,

V!ñ@¥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may have been clear to you but Rick's reply indicated it wasn't clear to him and I have to say it wasn't clear to me either. You attach files to emails but not to web pages including help topics, there you link to them, hence your question not being entirely clear

In help topics you create links to such files and the link can be text or an image. You would have to use images such as those posted.

Bear in mind that you have no control over what will happen when the user double clicks the link. Documents may open in their browser or in the application. That depends on their browser and the settings. You cannot force it.

Also any linked document may be searchable depending on your version of RoboHelp. Please see the forum sticky topics and in particular Before You Post. It helps with replies when we know what version of RoboHelp you are using.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinay.

Would these files be editable and if so, where would they reside? If you want people to be able to edit the files, you need to consider where the files are located. If you link directly to a file in RoboHelp, a local copy is copied into your project as a baggage file. If a user then clicks on the link, the local copy is opened and any edits can not be saved back to the WebHelp's output location. However if you were to create an image (like the ones you used above) and added a hyperlink to the file's location - i.e. on a network drive outside the project, this would enable users to edit and save changes to the original file location. Hope this helps.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum

Have things changed as otherwise I believe the files will not necessarily open in their native application for editing?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter. You are WebHelp king so I bow in your general direction. I think I'm thinking of CHM files.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just done a quick check and it looks like how things have changed if you have Vista / Windows 7 and a later browser. What is likely to happen there is that the user will be given the option to open the document or save it. If they save it, they could then miss later changes.

Prior to that, what happened was a user setting as in Snippet 22 on my site.

I have only tested this with a document that was added to baggage files.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162059

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinay

It would be nice to know if the additional information has helped you.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2011 Jul 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sorry for coming back late into this. I tried your option where I inserted an image of the file and then linked it to the respective file. When I try to open it, it's asking to OPEN or SAVE and whatever option I click, it's working fine. But now the problem is, the image shows a constant file name that doesn't reflect the actual file that is being opened. Is there any way to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2011 Jul 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image shows the file name permanently or just when you hover over it?

Please add a screenshot using the camera icon you will see when you reply.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, I am linking an XLS file called "Report.xls". I have to create an image from that particular file only, something like this:Capture1.png, insert the image in RH and then link it with the XLS fle Report.xls.

If I have to link another XLS file called "Schedule.xls", then I have to create another image for this file like Capture2.png and do the whole process of inserting and linking again.

So, I wanted to know if there is a solution for this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinay

To my knowledge there is no way to dynamically change the image name to reflect what it is linking to. I might suggest cropping out the file name and leave the icon only.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2011 Jul 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As this is the only solution for my problem (not an easy one though), I will go with it.

Thanx all for sharing your views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp