• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

convert tooltips to rollover captions - Captivate 5 recording Word 2010 window

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to record Word 2010 with Captivate 5 with option "convert tooltips to rollover captions" enabled but no tooltip captions were generated. It generates text captions that says "click this and that" but it doesn't generate rollover caption. The same feature doesn't work in any MS Office 2010 app but it works fine in when I'm recording some other application. Any ideas how to solve this?

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm on CP5.5 now, but perhaps 2 tips: did you install the latest patch, release should be: 5.0.2.630

Is this the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Word? I got back to 32-bit because I had too much issues with the other version.

Lilybiri

PS As a workaround, did you try to insert manually intermediate captured slides with PrintScreen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on version 5.5 actually, 32bit. Tried to update but there's no new updates available.

Yes, I know I can insert slides with screenhshot of tooltips but what I really need is to convert a tooltip text into text string (caption or whatever).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the version, but because you were referring to CP5, and really use the latest release 5.5 I was confused.

I played a little bit capturing different apps in demo mode with this feature turned on (never used it myself because I'm almost never creating demonstrations, only trainings as assessments). And you are right: it is not functional in Office (used Excel and Word) 2010, but neither in TweetDeck (AIR application) nor Evernote. It is functional in Bridge and Photoshop. There a rollover area is created and the text from the tooltip is converted to a Text Caption, which is editable of course. But you should have to tweak both the rollover area and the caption a lot to have it looking like the original tooltip, hmmm.

Will certainly file a bug about this and it would be fine if you did likewise, but am wondering if all is not linked to the fact that most tooltips are really images (look at the Office-tips: there is a line and a help icon)...

If I wanted to have those tooltips looking like in the real application I would not use this conversion possibility but:

• take a manual screenshot when the tooltip is visible while capturing
  • edit that screenshot to have a correct image of the tooltip in Photoshop (or other app, you could even crop in CP)
  • insert that image as a rollover caption and put the rollover area in the correct place (something you have to do now as well)

Seems a lot of work, but the result will be a lot more realistic.

Just one question: why do you want the tooltip text to be editable?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need tooltips to look like in original app. I only need to convert them to text strings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not see how, sorry, just logged the bug.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2011 Jul 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

...just to answer why do I want the tooltip text to be editable... Because I want to copy paste it to another tool and I don't know another way to extract text from MS Office applications tooltips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources