• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to utilize intel quick sync in premiere cs5 export to H264 (sandybridge laptop)?

New Here ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have a sandybridge laptop on order (Lenovo w520), I wonder what would be the best way of exporting the timeline utilizing the Intel Quick Sync option. Cyberlink has a videoconverter program that utilizes the Quick Sync option. Would I try to use a video frame server, an uncompressed video output or is there any development completed using the SDK? There are indications that the quick sync option may have better quality and half the render time compared to an Nvidia graphic card. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Premiere Pro does not support QuickSync at all. Not even the latest CS5.5 supports QuickSync. (Nor will Adobe support QuickSync in any foreseeable future version of Premiere.) What's more, QuickSync supports only the integrated Intel GPU and is completely disabled with a discrete GPU installed.

Furthermore, only the H61, H67, B65, Q65 and Q67 chipsets currently support QuickSync. The P67 chipset does not support QuickSync at all because a discrete graphics card is required for that chipset. And the few results that I've seen in the PPBM5 results list of systems that use H67 motherboards show abnormally slow performance in MPE GPU mode when Nvidia cards are used in those systems. In other words, QuickSync is currently of little (if any) use whatsoever to Premiere Pro because the program does not support the feature at all in the exact tests used in PPBM5.

And the only reason why a given Sandy Bridge system is faster with QuickSync and integrated Intel graphics than an otherwise identical system with a discrete Nvidia graphics card is because the H67 chipset gimps the PCIe-x16 graphics card slot: That slot only runs in PCIe-x1 mode instead of the correct x16 mode by default. Otherwise, a P67-based system with a discrete Nvidia GPU far outperforms the H67 setup with integrated Intel graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how 'bout the plugin developed by Intel for Premiere Pro:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/adobe-premiere-propremiere-elements-encoder-plug-in-using-intel-media-sdk-and-intel-quick-sync-video-technology/

The description says with a prototype plug-in Premiere Pro supports Intel Quick Sync technology.

I haven't yet have my Sandy Bridge setup so I don't have any first hand experience.

As far as chipsets are concerned the new Z68 chipset sort of combines the advantages of H67 and P67, you can use a PCI-E graphics card and can overclock as in P67 but also the GPU integrated into the CPU can be harnessed.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with that plug-in installed, Premiere Pro performance on such a system with integrated graphics is still pig-slow: PR has never worked properly with integrated graphics to begin with. And a user in another thread has encountered "lock-ups" with a system so equipped. The plug-in might fix those "lock-ups", but that still does not change the fact that Premiere Pro still works poorly on a system with integrated graphics.

Now back to the OP's original question:

That Lenovo W520 the OP purchased cannot use QuickSync at all. This is because that laptop has the integrated Intel graphics disabled in favor of a discrete (albeit onboard) Nvidia Quadro 1000M or Quadro 2000M GPU. And the Quadro 2000M is already certified for use in Premiere Pro CS5.5's MPE GPU-accelerated mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2011 May 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video card is an Optimus NVidia card that can be disabled dependent on program. I believe that PP can use the video card but when I want to render out I can set it up to use the integrated Quick Sync. At least, that is my understanding of the features. The plugin is what I'm most curious about how to get that to work. Otherwise, to feed the timeline to a video converting program would be another option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, even with QuickSync, Premiere Pro CS5's software-only MPE is still significantly slower than its GPU-accelerated mode. In other words, you cannot currently have both MPE GPU acceleration and QuickSync at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use the GPU while editing with premiere and switch to quick sync when exporting through adobe media encoder. This would not happen at the same time, so I'm not sure why the optimus would not switch over. Would frame serving to a media encoding software that uses quick sync be possible too? Hope to test this next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the plug in Intel sdk for AME and was able to confirm that AME can be started in either the integrated GPU or the hardware Nvidia GPU. With the integrated GPU I was able to convert a HDV file of 25 minutes to H264 (level 4, 10Mbs) in 12 minutes using the Intel sdk. Using the hardware GPU, the same conversion took twice as long, about 25 minutes, using the Mainconcept H264. Looks promising. All on a laptop with sandybridge 2720 and 8 Gb memory (Lenovo W520).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the (promising) initial results.

Based on that, QuickSync does not affect the timeline export rendering speed much (if at all) since MPE GPU accelerated performance is already fast enough in that regard. However, QuickSync can speed up encoding/transcoding performance. Thus, if there is a way to switch easily between the two in current Sandy Bridge systems with both integrated graphics and a discrete CUDA card, you could have close to the best of both worlds. But right now, this capability is limited to a few laptops. On a desktop PC, if you have only one monitor, you will have to power down the desktop system before you switch GPUs; this makes switching between integrated and CUDA harder than it needs to be (since the DVI or HDMI monitor connector needs to be physically disconnected from one port and reconnected to another port).

If you were to run PPBM5 on such an easily switchable laptop that's running CS5 5.0.3, expect the MPEG2 DVD and especially H.264 Blu-ray encoding (and to a lesser extent the software-only MPE timeline rendering) performance to be significantly faster with QuickSync enabled than with it disabled (when using the integrated Intel graphics). In fact, software-only MPE timeline rendering performance with a QuickSync-enabled system with the integrated Intel graphics would have been about equal to the rendering performance of some of the slowest GPU-accelerated CUDA-equipped systems on the PPBM5 results list. If you're using only the CUDA Nvidia GPU, QuickSync has no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"was able to confirm that AME can be started in either the integrated GPU or the hardware Nvidia GPU"

Hi there how were you able to start up Adobe Media Encoder in Intel GPU or Nvidia GPU mode? 

I couldn't find anything in AME preferences.

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first had to install the plugin from Intel sdk. Google to find the

plugin. Then the option becomes available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPE does not use the GPU for encoding. It uses it for other operations such as scaling and rendering out effects. What was your resolution settings for export and did you have any effects on the timeline or did you just run a simple transcode with the AME?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paramita7 said the following and I simply would like to be able to do the same with AME.

"AME can be started in either the integrated GPU (Intel Sandy Bridge) or the hardware Nvidia GPU."

Is there some startup parameter that I need to change to do this?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my laptop, I can enable a setting in the Nvidia panel, to right click on

the program icon and select whether to start the program with integrated

graphics or discrete GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the NVIDIA Control Panel loaded in my Asus G73S 17" notebook with the Nvidia GTX460M and Core I-7 with integrated graphics..

The problem is I can't seem to find that option on the Nvidia control panel that let's me open programs with the graphic processing options.  Any hints?

I'm using version 3.6.750.0 for the nvidia control panel.   Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the desktop option on the toolbar, enable "Add run with graphics processor" to the context menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that option is not showing in my Desktop menu item.. Looks like I'll have to do more research with Nvidia to see why it's not there or maybe it's because my notebook CPU Graphics processing is locked down..  I appreciate your help.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please give me the version number for your Nvidia Control Panel? 

Thanks..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL VERSION 3.5.752.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I employed scaling and color correction. Exported to 1920*1080.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to run the PPBM CS5 under Intel sdk and the discrete NVidia CPU. The benchmark didn't run under intel sdk and the H264 test was not identical as the output was rendered as progressive instead of interlaced. However, just looking at the render times in AME for the different tests I noticed a 15% improvement for the H264 test, identical times for the Mpeg2_dvd test and 4% slower result under the disk speed test. Perhaps other bottlenecks of AME do not allow for taking full advantage of the speed improvement under intel sdk as seen in the previous testing where I compared a simple encoding of HDV material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2011 May 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished encoding a typical project for me using the intel sdk and the discrete GPU with AME. This was a 60 minutes multicam project with three HDV streams, color corrections, transitions, and resizing. Under the discrete GPU, it encoded to H264 in 43 minutes. Using the Intel sdk, 33 minutes, about 25% faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, QuickSync does make a difference in CS5.x performance, especially on laptops. Most desktop PCs, however, have much more powerful discrete GPUs than their laptop counterparts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an interesting result. 

Can you please give step by steps on how you somehow combined the Intel SDK install with AME?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the second post in this thread for a link to the sdk. Basically, you download the plug-in and paste it in the common plug-in folder of AME and/or premiere. Then, when you export to AME you select the intel sdk option as format,and select the preset settings for the h264 or Mpeg2. That's all there is to it. Make sure AME has the integrated processor enabled, otherwise nothing happens.

By the way, although the numbers speak for themselves regarding the increased speed, the picture quality is a different story. I employed the balanced setting in the preset, but comparing the "GPU video" and the "Intel video" I noticed that the Intel video ahd more artifacts in detailed dark areas, the colors were more saturated and everything was sharper. On the other hand the F4v video had no artifacts, but was less sharp and the colors were less saturated but closer to the project video colors. The combination of better colors and no artifacts makes me favor the GPU output inspite of the time difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines