17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 5:07 AM by snowbunnyears

Director and Mac OS X Lion

hmahncke2

Has anyone had issues with the director runtime and Mac OS X Lion?  After upgrading to Lion (and installing the optional java run time, just to be sure) my apps' first message is:

type error:_global.gFullScreen.set_resolution is not a function

Adobe didn't mention Director in their general Mac OS X Lion update - has anyone had this (or any other) errors in Director apps running on Mac OS X Lion?

Thanks,

Henry

• 1. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
          Mike Blaustein Level 4

I jujst updated to Lion yesterday, but so far, I have had no problem with any of my Director apps.  I have not extensively tested a whole lot of them, but those that I have tried so far have all worked normally. Of course anything written with Director 10 or lower will not run since we don't have Rosetta anymore, but everything I have done in D11.5 seems ok so far.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
            hmahncke2 Level 1

Thanks Mike

We are using the 11.5 runtime.  I'm trying to sort out why our app runs fine in Snow Leopard but not in Lion; and whether there is a Director runtime update that might help, or whether we will need to fix our Director code.

Henry

• 3. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
              Mike Blaustein Level 4

Make sure you have the newest version of Director.  Go into the message window and enter:

put the productVersion

The current version is 11.5.8.  If you have anything less than that, update it by going to Help, Updates...

• 4. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                AreBelongToUs

I've had a few miscellaneous script errors based around rich text fields and repeat loops but those are work-roundable.

The worst issue is that it seems like there is no way to use embedded fonts in Director 11.5.8 in Lion. All my previously produced Projectors now display some kind of replacement font and it's the same in Director itself. I produce CD-Roms and applications which go out to 1000s of users and currently there is no way to send out a patch or a replacement Projector.

Are many other people experiencing embedded font issues since Lion?

• 5. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                  fivan

I have the same problem.

No way to use embedded fonts in Lion but in 10.5.* and 10.6.* all works fine...

So far no solution.

• 6. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                    JohnSpear

Same problem here.

• 7. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                      Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

This from a mailing list:

Krishnan writes that they've addressed the font rendering problem in Mac OSX 10.7 Lion.

so I would expect that when the next patch is released (expected by 3rd week of August) that it will contain this fix.

• 8. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                        liftedfinger

I Installed the latest patch, and thankfully it fixed embedded fonts.

However I have now discovered that the actionscript 2 printjob class doesn't work on the mac.

It works pre the latest update.

• 9. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                          fivan Level 1

The patch fixed embedded fonts but embedded fonts looks different.

Glifs are closer then the original font and also line spacing appears reduced.

Is it just an impression?

• 10. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                            Adam-C Level 2

The patch fixed embedded fonts but embedded fonts looks different.

Glifs are closer then the original font and also line spacing appears reduced.

Is it just an impression?

No - Directors font engine is all screwed up. Some fonts will embed OK but many won't look right, and some some will 100% refuse to be embedded. I believe it has something to do with whether the font is an "outline font" or not - Director should be happier with an outline font than a non-outline font... although how one's meant to know if a font's an outline font or not is a mystery!

I find it easiest to include a Flash layer that contains the fonts and fields that I need - the fonts always render perfectly, and it's easy to create new text fields on-the-fly too.

• 11. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                              AreBelongToUs Level 1

The font engine has never worked well on the Mac for me either.

A couple of workarounds that I use is to either embed the font using a PC version of Director and then copy the .dir back to the Mac or to open the font in a font editor (such as FontLab Studio) and resave it out in another format that Director will recognise.

• 12. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                                fivan Level 1

If I import the font (Myriad Pro OTF) from Win, wen I try to use it on Mac, Director still can not use it and tells me it's missing.

• 13. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                                  AreBelongToUs Level 1

If I import the font (Myriad Pro OTF) from Win, wen I try to use it on Mac, Director still can not use it and tells me it's missing.

You could try to create the rich text member and fill it with text set to Myriad on the PC, and then copy it to the Mac. Generally if you can get the font and text imported into a .dir on the PC it will display ok (and be editable) once transferred to the Mac, although quite often the font will display as 'Myriad Pro OTF * (missing)'. It's often not possible to use your imported PC font as a usable font straight in a newly created text field. I do seem to remember Myriad Pro giving me grief using this process in the past; I don't know whether it was a conflict with Myriad Pro itself with it being an Apple system font or just because it was an OTF version.

Also once your PC fonts are in, after several plays while you develop your .dir, the fonts will often change to a default system font with messed up spacing. This is purely cosmetic and can be fixed by quitting and reopening your file.

All a bit hit and miss I'm afraid but it works for me. Alternatievly Adam-C's Flash option sounds quite elegant.

• 14. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                                    Adam-C Level 2

AreBelongToUs wrote:

The font engine has never worked well on the Mac for me either.

A couple of workarounds that I use is to either embed the font using a PC version of Director and then copy the .dir back to the Mac or to open the font in a font editor (such as FontLab Studio) and resave it out in another format that Director will recognise.

Yeah, I've used the same technique in the past with success using Director 8, 9 and MX2004, but something in the Director 11 text/font engine has screwed this up too (or it has for me anyway!).

Basically, when you open a dir or cst with a PC-embedded font that the Mac wouldn't handle natively, Director pops up a progress box that says "building truetype font". But whatever Director is doing it doesn't store the results because you get the same thing every time you open the dir, and the same thing if you open a projector created from the dir. I've noticed that there are fonts on PC that do the same thing, but for some reason on PC the "building truetype font" progress is fast (so fast you barely see the dialog box) whereas on Mac it is ssslllloooowww! This isn't down to the power of the computers either cos my Mac is massively more powerful than my PC.

I've tried the font editor solution in the past too, but in my experience saving to another format doesn't help matters - if Director doesn't like the font it doesn't like it in any flavour. What I have done with limited success is to copy all the glyphs from the non-importing font to a completely new font, and then been able to embed this into Director. However, it seems something gets lost along the way because sometimes the glyphs just aren't quite right, and the tracking can go completely out of the window too. Maybe it's down to the font editor that I'm using (FontLab TypeTool 3).

• 15. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                                      Adam-C Level 2

fivan wrote:

This may be down to another bug in Director 11's font engine. When I'm working with embedded fonts on Mac Director regularly seems to "drop" the font and mark it as "missing". This happens even with fonts that Director has been happy to embed, and whose embedded versions have been working fine. There are two solutions when this happens:

1) Save your work and then quit and re-launch Director

2) Move the fonts to a different cast-slot and then back again

The second option isn't quite as reliable as the first, but it normally does the trick for me.

• 16. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                                        Adam-C Level 2

liftedfinger wrote:

I Installed the latest patch, and thankfully it fixed embedded fonts.

However I have now discovered that the actionscript 2 printjob class doesn't work on the mac.

It works pre the latest update.

The latest patch has introduced a bunch of new bugs to the Flash Xtra - I've been battling with a number of these since the patch was released! Are you instantiating the PrintJob class within Director (either on the global Flash object or on a sprite) with 

myPrintJob = newObject("PrintJob")

or

myPrintJob = sprite(me.spriteNum).newObject("PrintJob")

and then controlling it within Director with Lingo?

If so then you may be able to work around it if you embed a SWF that contains all of the printjob instantiation and management logic, and then use Director simply to call the printjob-related functions that you've defined in the SWF.

• 17. Re: Director and Mac OS X Lion
                                          snowbunnyears Level 1

I just downloaded Adobe Director here last night for my Mac OS X Lion. And when I was going to install it, it stops dead on the checking page_mainsubpage loading window. It doesn't more. It literally just froze. I waited for half an hour (which is waaaay long enough) and nothing changed. I even tried restarting my Macbook and to try to install it again, but it still stops at the same exact gauge. Does anyone know what's wrong with it?