Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Users with "metafile download failed" error message

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am an Adobe employee working on the issues surrounding the download manager to download Flash Player.

The team is aware that some users are having difficulty downloading Flash Player due to an error message, "metafile download failed".

If you are one of the users having the problem of "metafile download failed" error message, please send me a private message with your email address so we can contact you.

Thanks,

-Yuko C.

NOTE: to send a private message, click on the User Name to go to their profile page and then use the link to send a private message in the Action panel there.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2011 Jul 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an attempt to resolve the issue, I uninstalled my existing version of Flash and therefore do not have a working install on my PC.  Please contact me to troubleshoot the issue.  I am receiving the 'metafile download failed' message when attempting to install 10.3.

[email address removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mix of XP and Win7 workstations all but 1 using IE8. I was finally able to install the new version of flash player this evening by uninstalling the older version, rebooting and installing the latest version. I have completed 3 workstations (win7 with IE9, win7 with IE8, XP with IE8) with 30+ to go. Please tell me there is a better fix for installing flash player updates than this.

Thanks!  [email address removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi knoworry,

Are you having an error message, "metafile download failed"?

It sounds like you are having issues with Flash Player update, and if that is the case, I suggest creating a new thread with the problem.

I'm sorry I can't help.

-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to install the latest flash player I am getting a "metafile" error message ("MetafileUnzipFailed" Then it takes me to the troubleshooting page. I tried http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html with the same results. I was left with no solution except to uninstall and reinstall the flash player. All our workstations are getting the "metafile" error message.

-K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem with my proxy server/URL filter.  (Cisco Ironport)

As suggested in other threads, it seems to work if I change my proxy settings to IP address and port number, but I get the "metafile downlod failed" message when using my .PAC file.

When I compare log files from the URL filter, there is a clear difference in the traffic logged through the proxy when using IP/port number.

my email is: [email address removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yuko,

I recieved the "Metafile download failed" error attempting to install Adobe Flash Player 10.3 on a Windows XP workstation running IE7.  I attempted installation both by hitting the "Run" button at the prompt for download/install and by first saving the Install file locally and then executing the install.

I'm uncomfortable posting my e-mail address in a public forum, so I sent it to you directly.

Ken Shafer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KenShafer wrote:

I'm uncomfortable posting my e-mail address in a public forum, so I sent it to you directly.

Yes, it is not a good idea to publish email addresses in a public forum.

Anyone wanting to contact Yuko privately, please send a PM (private message) via http://forums.adobe.com/people/Yuko%20C%20%5BAdobe%5D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this "metagile download failed"error message when installing Adobe Flash Playuer 10.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my email address is basil.thompson@optimalenergy.co.za

I am attempting to install the adobe flash active x control , using internet explorer. The download of the DM seems to work, but when it runs, it gives the

"metafile download failed" with the yellow triangle.

Its in a corporate environment, using IE 8, although I dont think that matters as its a download manager. Its probably the proxy causing the problem, even though I have the firewall client installed which allows most programs to comunicate with the proxy that dont have proxy specific settings.

I can test without proxy in place, as I am the tech here, and I can plug the laptop into a port that is wired up outside of the firewall, but thats a bit of a pain to do, but will do if needed. The firewall client we use, is the TMG firewall client, and the proxy is TMG medium business gateway edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funny thing, I just got it installed, without changing the proxy settings. I went to a site http://www.i-gotu.com/ (sorry, this is not me advertising it, I was just reading up on something) , and as the page was loading - it popped up with "adobe flash player is needed", click here to install - and that worked. opended up a windows similar the the one thats been giving the error - just much smaller but also titles "adobe flash 10.3 installer" I think, and that worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yip, its definately working now - the swf file I have been trying to get to play, using some flv and swf player, now plays without giving the "adobe flash active x is needed" error that made me try install the active x control from the site - which gave the metafile error. So running the install_flashplayer10ax_gtbd_aih.exe gives the error, but going to a site, that has the active x packaged as an option to install - works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue installing Flash on Windows 7 and IE8. Have uninstalled all Adobe products, rebooted and still cannot install. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try to install? Can you give detailed error messages else there is no way anyone can help as the possibilities are to vast as far as reasons go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with my company help desk and will get back to you. I was

getting a metafile error. This is only on my work machine. My Windows 7 pro

machine at home works fine.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try downloading an archived version, on the web site - the adobe site - you look for "archived versions" there you can download a zip file - with 10.1 in it, that may be one solution for you. Else go to the site I mentioned - they can a different method to install it - directly from the site - without needing to download the adobe installer or download manager that causes the problem - its not what you can call a fix - but its a temporary workaround until adobe fix their packager or installer on their site. The other web site I listed there has a flash video showing off some product they sell, a gps thingy, either way, thats not important - but at least there you can install the active x control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the metafile download failed error message when I try to download the file from the Adobe website.

I'm on my company pc, with Win7 and IE9. The downloads are processed with a download manager. I got an open ticket with my IT to solve a Flash Player (10.3.181.34) pending installation that constantly fails. So I tried to download it from the website and got this error message.

I also tried to download it from a standalone file and it worked as a workaround but still not everything is working when I visit some websites and the downloading manager still pops up with the pending Flash installation.

My email address is bbrunomp@gmail.com

Regards,

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a version issue then, if the one you installed via the stand alone was slightly outdated perhaps? If its the archived adition then I imagine that to be the case. Adobe has acknowledged that they have a issue with their download package - so I would not stress too much about this issue, as they will correct it. I cant imagine that its a show stopper for your company, probably more of an annoyance for the moment. However, if its urgent you get the most recent version installed (assuming I am correct in thinking you used an archived edition) - you can try get the latest edition by using this link adobe sent me.

This is the correspondence between Yuko from adobe and myself...

Hello,

Thank you for providing information about the problem of "metafile download" failure.

Yes, the problem is not with your proxy environment, but the problem is with our download manager and its incompatibility with some network environments with proxy and/or firewall.

We are actively working with vendor to resolve the issue.

While we are fixing the issue, if you need a link to download a standalone version of Flash Player without the download manager, please let me know.  I see on your forum post that you have resolved the issue, but in case you need to install Flash Player on other machines on the corporate network, I'm happy to provide a link.

If you would like a link for Flash Player standalone installer, please let me know if you will be installing on Microsoft Internet Explorer or for other browsers.

Sincerely,

Yuko Chapman

QA Lead, Global Applications

Adobe Systems Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

The link is not visible. Did you send it in the message?

I guess for now I'll have to be annoyed by this pop up. No worries if everything else works.

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er, yeah, sorry, wasn’t a link after all, I meant to write that in after pasting in the text from the other email into my reply to you. Please email Juko, as he indicated that he could provide the link. Perhaps forward the email I sent you to him, so he has some sort of reference.

Kind Regards

Basil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to solve it changing the proxy. Even the annoying pop up is gone.

After changing the proxy I went to the website and the download worked. No need for the standalone.

Thanks for all the help.

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. I was able to solve the issue internally. Our

TI interenal proviisonal server had it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for providing valuable information.

We have gathered enough information at this point and are working on resolution of the issue.

While we work on the resolution, if you are having this problem and need to install Flash Player, please feel free to send private message to me.

Please indicate the browser you are using so I can send you the appropriate workaround.

Sincerely,

Yuko C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I wanted to post again to thank those who  have provided detailed information such as network configuration  information or log files.  We are working on resolving this issue.

I also wanted to post again to inform you that we  currently have sufficient information and no longer soliciting  information about the issue of metafile download failed message.

I am, however, happy to provide you with a workaround if you are unable to install Flash Player or Reader.

Thank you,

Yuko C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Yuko,

I am having this issue on a growing number pf workstations.

Please let know about the workaround, you mentioned in your earlier messages.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines