Participant ,
Jul 23, 2011 Jul 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have a document numbered thusly:

1-33...

[no page number]

and so on 'til end...

Client wants it > not sure why, but he really wants it.

Thanks in advance for any info.

(Yes, I did search for this, did not find much)

InDesign 5.5

Mac OSX 10.6.7

Dog lying under desk typing this with Bluetooth keyboard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy enough to number the 39th page (and following) as p.38 -- just go to the Pages Panel, select that page and choose Numbering and Section Options, and declare that this section begins as p.38.

I don't think InDesign has a nice way to to handle your 38th page though. There's no page number style that means "no page number" or "blank page number." So I'm afraid you'll have to manually edit the page number mark on p.38 and remove it the page number marker. This is probably not a big deal for you, but it is sort of ugly in a philosophical way. We can't have everything though...

Certainly good enough, I'd think, though? Ask the dog...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"... just go to the Pages Panel, select that page and choose Numbering and Section Options, and declare that this section begins as p.38."

Yeah, that didn't really work - I have this set up as a book, with each section being a file in the book.

hmmmm.... I think I will take another run at talking the client out of it, it's not really logical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I don't see why a book prevents you from doing this.

Explain?

You will have some duplicate page numbers (two of p.38). That's OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually better to not have duplicate page numbers, so I would suggest starting a new section for just the one page without a number, as well. It doesn't really matter what number you choose to start, just pick a numbering style that isn't in use elsewhere (A, B, C... I< II< III...) and ID will not get confused about duplicates.

The main problem I see here is that editing could change the page count and require you to manually adjust the numbering from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P Spier wrote:

... The main problem I see here is that editing could change the page count ...

What about what's going to happen when you try to print this document -- two sided?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Jongware] wrote:

P Spier wrote:

... The main problem I see here is that editing could change the page count ...

What about what's going to happen when you try to print this document -- two sided?

From page 38 onward page numbers will be on the wrong side and things will be pretty ugly, I guess. No indication that this is actually going to be printed two-sided, though, in the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page had a nice summary of how to do this: http://www.ehow.com/way_5818032_do-numbering-pages-adobe-indesign_.html

I had to add a ballot for our user group to the middle of our booklet. It was requested that the ballot (the middle four pages of the

booklet) not be numbered. I created new master page with no numbering. Pages 1-14 were the first section. Then I had to

right-click on each of 15-18 and change their master page. I started a new section on page 15, starting numbering with page 1,

but naming pages A,B,C,D. Then I went to page 19 and started a new section starting numbering with 15. It all worked out fine.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason why it would be problematic in the book file is as noted above, adding or deleting pages would reflow the book and the forced page numbers would have to be manually corrected.

The ABCD numbering on a new master page works but there is no jump code to restart from the previous section.

Someone who is good with scripting want to create such a treat? Is it possible to build an addon that would give us a "blank page number" or "jump from section" type thing?

I am too right brained to code, alas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar question! Please help.

I have multi-page document (600+ pages!) with jumping pages provided by a client. It has auto folios that also act as advertiser number.

So...

Page 2 = folio 0002 = for Client #0002

(no page 3)

(no page 4)

Page 5 = folio 0006 for Client #0006

Page 6 = folio 0006 for Client #0006

(no page 7)

(no page 8)

(no page 9)

(no page 10)

Page 11 = folio 0011 for Client #0011

Page 12 = folio 0012 for Client #0012

Page 13 = folio 0013 for Client #0013

etc. etc.

I acts like a master list.

For each project, only certain clients are used.

So, for example, this project only needs page 2, 6 and 13.

How do I delete page 5, 11 and 12 without renumbering and messing up the folios???

I know I can reset by going to Numbering and Section Options, but that also means having to do this every time I delete a page.

Is there any way to KEEP the folios locked before I delete pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a typo for Page 5... should be folio 0005 for Client 0006, but you get what I mean...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines