7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 12:43 AM by John Dusk

GTX 570 and Premiere CS 5.5: Mercury Playback Engine doesn't seem to work

John Dusk Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm getting choppy playback and a red render bar on Premiere CS5.5 whenever I apply to a clip one of this effects: Any effect on the distort folder, noise alpha or Magic Bullet Looks 2.

The sequence is an AVCHD 1080/24p Premiere preset and the media files are AVCHD from a GH2 (1080/24p at 24Mbps).

My system is more or less like this:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3
      • Processor: Core i7 2600k
      • Ram: 16Gb DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX
      • Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 570 1280 Mb (it comes factory overclocked)
      • (Only one 1920*1080 monitor is attached to the graphics card right now)
      • HDDs: 3 Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB lay out as follows:

c: OS, Program Files, pagefile

g: Project and media files

h: previews

And now, the symptons: In an AVCHD 1080/24p sequence with 24Mbps AVCHD clips, all in the same video track, whenever I apply an effect from the distort folder, Magic Bullet Looks or noise alpha (and probably any hardware accelerated effect) the render bar turns from yellow to red and I get choppy playback unless I set the playback resolution to 1/2. If I change the Mercury Playback Engine setting from hardware to software nothing changes. So I'm thinking that the GTX 570 is not working with Premiere CS5.5 for some reason. In this thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3736541) some people had similar complains. Also rendering feels pretty slow. For example a 30 seconds clip with a Magic Bullet Looks effect applied takes 150 seconds to turn from red to green.

I've tried completely uninstalling the nvidia drivers and installing the latest ones to no effect. I'm kind of frustrated, I've chosen this system and CS5.5 thinking it was going to be a smooth experience and I'm a bit dissapointed right now. Hopefully there will be a fix for this. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong myself.

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry to bother you with this.

Cheers.

Diego

• 1. Re: GTX 570 and Premiere CS 5.5: Mercury Playback Engine doesn't seem to work
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That is to be expected, as all these effects are not hardware accelerated.

In the picture below, only Noise is accelerated, none of the other effects.

23-7-2011 18-15-20.jpg

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: GTX 570 and Premiere CS 5.5: Mercury Playback Engine doesn't seem to work
            JEShort01 Level 4

Sounds like you were expecting the CS 5.5 MPE (Mercury Playback Engine) to work with Magic Bullet effects, but I don't think that it does.

It is my understanding that not even all CS5.5 filters, transisitions, and effects are written to take advantage of MPE either, but the list is longer than what is supported in CS5.

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: GTX 570 and Premiere CS 5.5: Mercury Playback Engine doesn't seem to work
              John Dusk Level 1

Thanks a lot Harm and Jim,

I continue to be amazed by the willingness of people around the web to help each other. Maybe there's still some hope for the human race after all.

Regarding my MPE expectations I suppose that it's a sign of the times; spoiled kids like me expecting the world from a new system and then getting dissapointed at the first symptons of something not going as smooth as they think at first. But then again when storytelling costs you more than it pays at the end of the month, sometimes it's difficult not to get into drama-queen mode every now and then.

Sorry for going a little bit off-topic here but, is there away to make completely sure that the graphics card is actually doing its job inside Premiere? This thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3736541 got me a little nervous thinking that it may be a bug or something on CS5.5 that prevents the GTX570 from working properly.

Also is there a way that I can improve general performance and rendering times without investing a lot more in this new machine. I thought about buying a couple of more disks and running a RAID through the motherboard but maybe the impact in processing power is not worth it. Sorry again to ask so many questions but video editing is almost completely new for me. Not so long ago writing was enough for me, but that's not anymore the case. Now, I'm using every storytelling medium that I can. So my mind is always filled with question marks dancing to Tchaikovsky ballet suites and who knows what else.

Thanks a lot again. I hope I can repay the community in a not so distant future.

Regards.

Diego

--
              Atticus Diablowsky

AKA D.B. Alonso
              AKA Diego Benito Alonso
              AKA "Hey you, little punk, ¿where do you think you're going with that?"
              • 4. Re: GTX 570 and Premiere CS 5.5: Mercury Playback Engine doesn't seem to work
                Harm Millaard Level 7

There is a very simple test: PPBM5 Benchmark

If you run it and submit your data, you can easily see the impact hardware acceleration has on your results. For rendering timelines it should be around 10 - 15 times faster than software moce only.

• 5. Re: GTX 570 and Premiere CS 5.5: Mercury Playback Engine doesn't seem to work
                  John Dusk Level 1

Thanks Harm,

Will do the benchmark thing as soon as I can. I have one more question and I promise not to waste more of your precious time. You see, I followed you "Generic Guideline for a Disk Setup" and put my three disks like this:

c: OS, Program Files, pagefile

g: Project and media files

h: previews and cache database

Should it be better to have the pagefile along with the "previews" and "cache database" on "h:"?

Thanks again,

Diego

--
                  Atticus Diablowsky

AKA D.B. Alonso
                  AKA Diego Benito Alonso
                  • 6. Re: GTX 570 and Premiere CS 5.5: Mercury Playback Engine doesn't seem to work
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

It depends on your amount of memory and the degree to which you switch between PR, EN, AE and PS and the like. With 24 GB it is not really important. With 12 GB but limited switching and using AVCHD material, it is not terribly important. With Red4K material and no more than 12 GB it may pay off to move the pagefile to H.

So there is no clear cut answer. It depends on your workflow, your source material, your memory.

• 7. Re: GTX 570 and Premiere CS 5.5: Mercury Playback Engine doesn't seem to work
                      John Dusk Level 1

Thanks a lot again, Harm,

I think I'll leave it at H: for now.

Cheers

Diego

--
                      Atticus Diablowsky

AKA D.B. Alonso
                      AKA Diego Benito Alonso