• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anything I can do to make JavaHelp less ugly?

Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, my company chose JavaHelp as the preferred output for our help systems (long time ago). It's SO ugly to look at. We're a high tech company, yet we have this archaic looking help for our products. I've pushed to switch to WebHelp, but I guess it's too much code to change to call up a WebHelp system, rather than a JavaHelp .jar file. Is there a way to get some of the formatting to come through better with JavaHelp output? I've attached two screenshots generated from the same source files: one webhelp, one javahelp, so you can see the formatting I'd like to use. Is there anything I can do?

javahelp.jpg

webhelp.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The JavaHelp page on my site explains why Flare does not support this type of help. I suspect RoboHelp only continues for the benefit of customers who went with it when first introduced. I seem to recall that when I wrote that page formatting issues was one of the problems I kept reading about.

Both JavaHelp and Oracle Help have been poorly supported, at least that is what I hear.

You need to be showing your management those images and argue the case. I wish you luck.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I saw your page after posting my question.Unfortunately the development team here feels it's "too much work" to rewrite the architecture to call up a different help viewer. Originally i wanted WebHelp and they said the same thing. So I suggested oracle, which at least looks like it's from the modern era, but got the same response. So we're stuck using JavaHelp with all it's ugly limitations. Blah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get sales involved.

You might also want to ask the developers if they are still programming in Fortran.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why stop at Sales. Speak to Marketing, Product Managers, Help Desk, anyone. Someone needs to wake up and acknowledge that the help can be one of the first impression users get of a product. If they are stuck yet can't find a solution because of limitations with the help, they won't use it again. Not only that you it means increased calls to your Help Desk or other staff.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm technically in the marketing department, so luckily I have some allies. I've got two salespeople and the lead graphic designer on board, so I should be set. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp