• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Reader say "Failed to initialize"?

Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to install Reader 10 on a Windows XP SP3 system.  During installation, I'm getting an error message that reads "Installation encountered errors" and "Failed to initialize".

I tried uninstalling older versions of Reader still on my system, but no change.  I reinstalled Reader 8 from a CD, and that doesn't make any difference, either.  I tried doing a search on "Failed to initialize" on this site, but didn't come up with anything pertinent for Reader.

Any clues?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know the same thing!  I'm having the same problem, and it happens with Mozilla, Chrome, and Explorer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't know why Reader 10 wouldn't install, but I figured out a workaround.  Instead of downloading from Adobe's "preferred" or default site, I instead used this link as suggested in a thread for a different problem:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Downloading from there, I was able to get it installed correctly and Reader 10 works fine.  The only thing I can figure is that whatever program Adobe's default download site uses has an incompatibility with either something on my computer or my browsers.  I'm using both Google Chrome and IE 8, and the same error message happened with both browsers while trying to use Adobe's default site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!  It worked for me, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I was searching all over for this!! The link posted by retropia2 works for me too it is:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/  use it if the other doesn't work for you. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 01, 2012 Jan 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a similar OS to retrotopia and was getting the same error message "failed to initialize" but retrotopias workaround link

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

worked for me too.

The difference for me, downloading with Firefox, seems to be that the above link downloads the entire 50.2MB package rather than a little 747kB install manager. I can see the size of the downloads in Firefoxes download received window.The 50.2MB package unpacks itself and installs Adobe Reader with no trouble at all while the 747kB install manager seems to be failing to initiate the download from the Adobe site.

Please note that I'm not a computer pro or even very knowledgeable but this is what I observed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines