• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 9 WebHelp - Searching doesn't produce any results.

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I upgraded to RoboHelp 9 last week and now searching in Webhelp doesn't produce any results. I've created a new project, used the sample project, tried generating it to a new folder and results remain the same.

When I select the search tab, the status bar flutters with the "Waiting for file...." displayed indefinetly with the occassion display of the javascript: (void);

Screens shots are from the RH 9 sample project. Results are the same with my projects.  CHMs generated work fine!

Any suggestions?

Waiting for file.jpg

javascript void.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2011 Jun 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome is the problem!   After hours of troubleshoot, I discovered that Webhelp works as expected with Firefox and when Chrome is unintalled from my computer.  Disabling it isn't enough, it has to be uninstalled. 

Search doesn't work within the application when the user is using Chrome as well. 

MODERATOR NOTE

The following was posted in a separate thread but it relates to this problem.

Hi,

We recently upgraded to RH9 and have discovered  that when using IE7 and IE8 and Chrome, the search functionalty no  longer works. I also experience the issue with the sample projects  provided with RH9.   When Firefox is used or IE7 and IE8 AFTER Chrome  has been uninstalled, Help works as expected.

This is not limited to a preview of help locally but from within the application as well.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue and found a fix or a workaround.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2011 Jun 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary

You added the problem to another thread that was not related as the issue there is the use of HTTPS. I have deleted that post.

You also started a second thread with a the same question. I don't understand how asking the question twice will help so I have locked that thread but created a link to this thread so that anyone with an answer can help you. If there is a reason for starting a second thread, please let me know.

Please just ask once and wait for a reply as this wastes moderator's time that is better used trying to answer questions.

Now to the problem. Searching with Chrome installed works just fine for most people so the problem seems to be local to you. If I have read you correctly, after installing Chrome, the search breaks no matter what browser is used.

1. Was that checked on other machines or just yours?
  2. IGNORE THIS QUESTION - The answer is YES and that was in the post.
    Did you also check that search was broken with the supplied sample projects? I know that works with the three browsers being discussed here?
  3. Where was the help installed when tested by you both standalone and from the application?

Questions 2 and 3 are really only related to problems with Chrome. I have not seen anyone report Chrome also breaking the search in the other browsers. There's more to this than meets the eye as Chrome has not caused that problem for anyone else, or at least, no one has reported it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry about the second thread. Desperation is sinking in. 

It's the Chrome Frame plug in that is causing the issue with Search.  Webhelp search functionality is lost both locally and in the application in our projects and the RoboHelp sample projects when the Chrome Frame Plug is installed, both enabled and disabled.  Search only works in the sample projects and ours only when Chrome Frame has been uninstalled.  Disabling the plugin is not enough, it has to be uninstalled for search to work.  

It's not just on my computer, anyone who attempts to review Help from the application who has Chrome Frame on their computer experiences the same results.

Using Firefox with Chrome Frame and search work together however, our customers are using IE7 and IE8. Firefox is not an option. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Help without search isn't......

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a great Chrome user so please tell me more about the plug-in. Is it from Google or is it third party? Can you provide a link to information about the plug in?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's all the information I have about Chrome Frame.

Download Link to ChromeFrame

http://www.google.com/chromeframe

Enable/Disable GCF Plugin

To enable/disable Google Chrome Frame, follow these steps:

1.    In Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Manage Add-ons in the menu bar.

2.    In the "Toolbars and Extensions" section, select ChromeFrame BHO.

3.    Click the Disable or Enable radio button.

More info on requirements can be here…

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=161796

More Plugin Options: 

type gcf:about:plugins in the IE7 address bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary

I see that plug-in is in beta format only and no browser plug-in should affect other browsers, especially if disabled.

By all means report it to Adobe as a bug in RoboHelp but my view is the bug is in the plug-in and it is Google to whom you should be reporting the bug.

The other test I would perform if the right machine is available is to test on a newly built machine with IE and Google with plug-in installed. That would ensure it is not some other clash. However, I realise such a machine is a luxury in most places.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I right in thinking what the plug-in does is create some sort of frame in other browsers that displays the pages viewed? If not, please tell us what it does do.

Either way, if it is working with other browsers it is making them work in a different way and breaking things in the process.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more point. You didn't say where the help was installed. Unless it was on a web server, that might account for the problem.

If you let me know where the help was, I will explain more.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again.

Yes, Chrome plug creates a frame in other browser that displays the pages viewed.  Yes, WebHelp is installed on a web server. 

Today I uninstalled the trial version of the Technical Suite, including Robohelp 9 as well as the Chrome plug in. After installing the Suite, I generated Webhelp and reviewed it locally (same process I've had for a number of years) and all is working exactly as expected.  TOC, popups and search all function perfectly.

I then installed the Chrome Frame Plugin again, generated WebHelp again and reviewed locally. TOC works, popups are slow to open and search is completely broken. The javascript void (0) message is displayed.

I opened a bug with both Adobe and Google Chrome. While on the Chrome site, I noticed a number of other folks experiencing similar javascript void (0) issues and very few of the questions have been answered.

Tomorrow, I'll be uninstalling Chrome again, generating Help so that it works locally for me and then it will be added to the application.  Our fingers are crossed that our users will be able to search without an issue.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Google's forums show "a number of other folks experiencing similar javascript void (0) issues" but you also file a bug with Adobe. OK.

I doubt any company would act on a bug report for a product or plug-in that is still in beta and with known issues. As to a plug-in that is working with a third party's software (IE), I would be expecting problems.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit whver.js in root of your project:

in around line 27 add (just before var gbAIRSSL= false;)

var chromeframe = (gAgent.indexOf('chromeframe')!=-1);

then at around line 125 add  (just before var gbWhVer=true;)

if(chromeframe)

{

gbSafari = false;

gbSafari3 = false;

}

or change the whver.js file in your RoboHelp installtion folder, eg: c:\Program Files\RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock\

@Peter - Most of Google's stuff is in beta . Plus, its the slightly fragile hard coded Javascript user agents in RoboHelp that's really causing the problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that has to be the star first post from anyone! Thank you for posting that solution.

I will bring this to Adobe's attention but I can understand their position on betas, many companies take the same line. For Adobe to change the code they have to go through a lot of testing and could easily find another beta issued five minutes later.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem with RoboHelp 8 generated manuals and Google Chrome Frame installed in IE8.  The navigation links in the tree would stop working if GCF was installed.  I made the change suggested by mod_d_uk2 and the navigation started working again.

Thanks,

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

My developer asked me to submit a bug report on this issue to Adobe. I have the problem as Mary decribes it for Chrome and Safari.  The developer has read this thread and concluded that the problem is not related to ChromeFrame, and we're not sure how else to approach the problem.  Other than the files that get generated in the SSL directory when the help project is generated, are there any files besides the RoboHelp_CSH.js that need to be updated from earlier versions of RoboHelp? Please let me know what other information you might need to help me figure this out.

Thanks,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread while troubleshooting why the search functionality was not working for a client. When I generated our WebHelp project in RH9, the search functionality worked for me locally and in the application. I then loaded Google Chrome Frame yesterday as a test, and the search functionality stopped working. (No search results appeared and no "no results found" message appeared.) I modified the whver.js file (as suggested by m_d_uk2), and when I tested this morning's build (with Google Chrome Frame still installed), the search functionality was working again. Just wanted to make note that this worked for me. Thanks m_d_uk2 for taking the time to post this suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I guess Adobe quietly solved this problem and posted it at the following link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/914/cpsid_91432.html

I haven't tried it yet, but I have updated my RoboHelp recently and it appears that I won't have this probem anymore regardless (the fix applies to 9.01.262 and earlier - so you should just make sure you're up to date). I'll post a follow-up in a couple of days or so to let you know if the problem actually is solved.

By the way, editing the whver.js did not work for me.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my version of Robohelp 9 to versoin 9.0.2xxx, and now I'm having this issue. I've completed the suggestions above, and I still get a "Null" resutl when seaching for a keyword. Eveyrthing works fine in IE8 & 9.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So where isn't it working?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working with Google Chrome. Works fine in IE 8 & 9, and Firefox. I made the changes to the files listed above in both install directories, and project directories with no luck.

Could this problem have resurfaced when I upgraded to 9.0.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you viewing locally? Chrome has to be on a server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Peter,

Everything works fine in Chrome when viewing from the server. Maybe it was a fluke, but the search was working locally in Chrome before I upgraded to 9.0.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses guys... and no problem on posting the fix (i got a couple of PMs thanking me too).

Note: this only works for the ChromeFrame addon. Plus this issue is still not fixed in RoboHelp 9 (i use RH8, but have tested on RH9), but my fix still works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp