• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have tried EVERYTHING to disable Adobe Updater.

Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Windows Vista HP laptop. I don't know when Adobe Updater first started being there, what it came with, but it is there, and it does its thing with every startup. First I just went into its own preferences (where after it's done "searching for updates," you can either hit Quit or Preferences) and told it to only do this once a month (the longest amount of time it offers). And that didn't do anything. So then I went into the control panel and into programs, then change startup programs. From there I found Adobe Updater and clicked "remove." I restarted, it was still there. I did the same thing and hit "disable," restarted, it was still there. I went back and did BOTH, restarted, it was still there. I then went to my system configuration and unchecked Adobe Updater, hit apply, hit OK, said yes to the request to restart, and it was STILL THERE. I did these things over and over again for twenty minutes.

Please help me get rid of it. Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Katrice:

See this link for IT administrators about disabling auto-updates:

Disable auto-updates | Application Manager | IT administrators

Pattie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay -- Adobe U.S. offices were on holiday last week. Most Adobe apps, such as Acrobat, have Updater settings in Preferences.

On Windows, choose Help>Check for Updates>Preferences and uncheck the "Automatically check for updates" box. Another option is to go to Edit>Preferences>Updater and select the option "Do Not download or Install Updates Automatically".

Newer apps such as CS5, are managed through the Adobe Application Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I DID do this, and it still isn't disabled.  I launched Adobe Reader (v. 9.4.1), when to Edit/Preference/Updater, and then clicked the third button, which says "Do not download or install updates automatically." 

Then I clicked the "OK" button at the bottom.This closed the menu and brought be back to the main Adobe Reader Screen (with no documents open).

THEN, just to be SURE my selection "took,", I opened the Edit menu one more time, clicked on Preferences/Updater, and guess what?

It comes up with the MIDDLE button selected saying "Automatically download updates, but let me choose when to install them."

No matter how many times I try to disable the updater, my choice is NOT being SAVED!

What can I do?

- Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2013 Sep 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing worked so what I did was delete the entire file !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom J Jelen - what file did you delete? Did deleting the file work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the whole file 'updater file'  if it didn't work I got rid of it what did it do but give me trouble

so far the program works great and initialize's properly  how many times do you want an update? everytime you start your program?
Nothing worked that anyone sugested I hate to look at this problem this way but Adobe did not give any good advice.
They said run it and disable it ,, I went one step further now it does not have any reason to run

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE ACROBAT 9 PRO  How to disable Adobe Updater

This Worked for me.

Start Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro

Click on Help from the top adobe menu bar

Select Check for Updates from the drop down menu

Click on Preferences

Uncheck Automatically check for updates

Uncheck Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro from the Choose which applications to update box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, choose Help>Check for Updates>Preferences and uncheck the "Automatically check for updates" box.

ON WINDOWS WHAT EXACTLY. FYI it is a generic term for a dozen programs or more.
WINDOWS OS

WINDOWS EXPLORER

WINDOWS 95

WINDOWS 98

WINDOWS 2000

WINDOWS XP

WINDOWS 7

WINDOWS 8

WINDOWS 10

etc etc etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem.

try this:

1. 1. For PC Operating Systems

Open "My Computer" by double-clicking on the desktop icon or clicking on the "Start" menu and selecting the "My Computer" button. Open the drive that contains your Adobe programs. By default, this is the "C" drive.

Double-click on "Program Files" to view software files installed on your computer. Open the "Common Files" folder by double-clicking on the folder name.

Locate the Adobe folder and double-click on it to open it. The Adobe folder contains files for all Adobe programs installed on your system. Locate and open the Adobe Updater folder, which will be named "Updater" followed by a version number, such as 5 or 6.

Locate the executable file titled "Adobe Updater" within the "Updater" folder. Double-click the file to initiate the Adobe Updater application. The program will take a few moments to connect to the Internet to search for updates.

After it finishes searching, a prompt window will appear to install new updates. Click "Preferences" on the left-hand side and uncheck the "Automatically check for Adobe updates" box. Click "OK" to accept the changes. Adobe Updater will not check for available updates unless manually instructed to do so.

1. 2. For Mac Operating Systems

Double-click on your hard drive's icon on the desktop and select the "Applications" folder from the "Places" menu on the left-hand side. You can also open the "Applications" folder by selecting the folder from the "Go" drop-down menu in the "Finder" menu.

Scroll through your application icons in the right-hand side of the window to locate the "Utilities" icon. Double-click on this icon to open the "Utilities" folder. Locate and open the "Adobe Utilities" folder.

Run the "Adobe Updater" application. After the program finishes searching for updates, select the "Preferences" button. Deselect the program's "Automatically check for Adobe updates" box and click "OK." Adobe Updater will now be disabled; any updates to Adobe software will need to be downloaded and installed manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm, does not work as of this month and year.  CS6 updater is so annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thy this (http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/disable-auto-updates-application-manager.html😞

1. Create a text file named

C:\Program files(x86)\common files\adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0\AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

2. Add the following lines to it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<Preferences>

<Suppressed>1</Suppressed>

</Preferences>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got to this page from Google trying to remove this annoying Adobe Updater installer popup. Here's the steps that worked for me:

On Windows 7, hit WindowsKey + R, type msconfig and hit OK, then run it as administrator. Go to "Startup" tab and uncheck anything that says "Adobe". In my case it was "Adobe Reader And Acrobat Manager", then click Apply and reboot.

On Windows 8, do the same as above, except on the Startup tab click "Open Task Manager" and locate anything from Adobe, right-click it and disable it. This will do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem: everything is blocked, I can`t open Opera, I can`t install or uninstall anything. I have tried the msconfig thing but when I try "Open Task Manager" i get :access denied.

What do I do ? Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing from above works for me; Access denied for every install/uninstall attempt and all the actions are blocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Daniel,

do you have the proper rights (i.e., administrator) to (un)install/change programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

it was never a problem to install, uninstall anything as it is my laptop and I have myself installed windows. even if I run an app as admin, still won`t run. when I click Opera I get: The exception Breakpoint.., when I want to uninstall adobe i get: Error 1711. An error occurred while writing instalation information to disk. Check to make sure you have enough disk space available... I have considered permissions and I tried to mofify params but access is denied. Thank you for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your whole system is affected?

Did you try to reset your computer to another restore point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did not. for some reason I have considered a very last resort.

I`ll keep tinkering and in nothing works, I`ll try that and get back to you.

Cheers & thanx.

Edit: currently reinstalling Windows.

Thanx for being there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to be helpful.

I hope it all works then!

Good luck!!!

Cheers,

Otto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katrice:

See this link for IT administrators about disabling auto-updates:

Disable auto-updates | Application Manager | IT administrators

Pattie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows OS, the updaters are scheduled tasks - remove them using the Task Scheduler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For newer versions: search for "update api" and delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates are scheduled tasks. So you can disable those tasks in the Task Scheduler. To open the Task Scheduler:

1. Right-click on My Computer (depending on the version, This PC, Computer)/
  2. Manage/
  3. Double-click Task Scheduler/
  4. Click Task Scheduler Library/
  5. Find the Adobe scheduled task/
  6. Right-click and Disable it

I hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works in Win10 also. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To install reader 11 without ARM try:

"reader11.exe" /msi EULA_ACCEPT=YES REMOVE_PREVIOUS=YES DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL=1 DISABLEDESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 /qn

To remove this from registry try to delete the correspondent key from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

CMD Comand:

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v "Adobe ARM" /f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines