4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2011 12:26 AM by markerline RSS

command prompt window script to automatically run adobe media encoder

dtsquick

Does anyone know of a way to run adobe media encoder from the command prompt or batch file?

I would like to automatically invoke a script, much the way I do for Adobe After Effects.

(I do not mean batch encode from the software.)

• 1. Re: command prompt window script to automatically run adobe media encoder
          markerline Community Member

This sort of thing is quite easy to accomplish in Windows using Notepad and the keyword Start.

You would type something like

start amencoder.exe (although I don't know the exact full path and exact name of Adobe Media encoder).

Save your text from above into notepad as a .bat file .

I'm not sure how this would be done in Mac but I'm sure there are similar options using the Terminal.

Why do you need to do this when you have an icon that can be double-clicked to invoke the program, by the way?

• 2. Re: command prompt window script to automatically run adobe media encoder
            dtsquick Community Member

HI

I need to be able to have media encoder run with specific settings established ahead of time.

I run several programs this way. I can automate a large list of commands.

For example I can render a sequence of images in Maya, then composite in after effects and then encode in media encoder without opening the programs.

AfterEffects has a render utility, I was hoping media encoder might

.bat file contains this:

rem Maya

Render -s 1 -e 600 -x 2048 -y 1536 -im filename filename.mb

rem AfterEffects

set AE_RENDER_APP=C:\"Program Files (x86)"\Adobe\"Adobe After Effects CS4"\"Support Files"\aerender.exe

set AE_PROJECT=E:\maya\scenes\1_PAST_WORK\ACME_04_DHG\DHG_flowers3.aep

set AE_RENDER_SETTINGS="Best Settings"

set AE_OUTPUT_QUALITY="anim"

%AE_RENDER_APP% -project %AE_PROJECT% -comp %AE_COMP_NAME1% -output %AE_OUTPUT_MOV1% -RStemplate %AE_RENDER_SETTINGS% -OMtemplate %AE_OUTPUT_QUALITY%

• 3. Re: command prompt window script to automatically run adobe media encoder

I understand now.

I only found this reference when I did a quick search on the web:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashMediaEncoder/2.5/help.html?content=get_started_11.html

It mentions using XML as profiles so it's probably able to use settings that are configurable in XML and piped into the command line set.  I'm not sure if this is a universally applicable entry (meaning that it runs the same on both Windows and Mac and all you need to do is plug in the path in either case relative to the OS).  Try it out and report back with your results.  I don't have anything to render/convert at the moment so I can't try it out for you.

Best,

-markerline

• 4. Re: command prompt window script to automatically run adobe media encoder

sometimes you can type the name of the command in DOS with a following "/?" to get more information about the command as a help doc pops up. (if 'help' "program name" doesn't work).