Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Settings for Search Function?

Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A user in the field is asking about the Search function in the CHM I provide with our software.  The CHM is created with RH8.

1.  Is there any setting that will cause the returned page to open to the first occurrence of the word/phrase searched upon?

We maintain years of successive release notes in one of the CHMs, so a search can return many, many pages and these pages can be quite long.  When the term/phrase doesn't occur until the middle of the page, it would be very useful for the page to open right at that place.

2.  Is there any setting that prevents "Ctl+F" from opening a Find dialog?  This was my suggestion to the user as a workaround to #1.  It worked just fine for me, but not at all for him - the Find dialog simply did not open.  It is possible that is something unique to the software program the CHM supports, but could it simply be a computer setting?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Is there any setting that will cause the returned page to open to the first occurrence of the word/phrase searched upon?

Not that I have ever heard of.

Is there any setting that prevents "Ctl+F" from opening a Find dialog?

Why do you want to disable Ctrl F, surely that is what the user wants to find the word in the topic?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any setting that will cause the returned page to open to the first occurrence of the word/phrase searched upon?

Not that I have ever heard of.

Is there any setting that prevents "Ctl+F" from opening a Find dialog?

Why do you want to disable Ctrl F, surely that is what the user wants to find the word in the topic?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the Find dialog box has fallen off the edge of the screen? This can happen sometimes, especially if you've gone from multi-monitors to a single monitor, or something - the dialog box gets "left" in its last used position, which is no longer in the viewable screen area.

Get the user to do the following:

1. Open the chm.

2.  Press Ctrl+F. DON'T click anywhere - we need to make sure the Find dialog box is the active window.

3. Press Alt Spacebar M.

4. Press any arrow key.

5. Waggle the mouse madly until the dialog box pops into view (it should snap to the cursor).

6. Click to drop the dialog box where you want it.

HTH,

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, folks, for the fast responses.  In re "Ctl+F" to open the Find dialog - turns out my sw engs have

not coded in this keyboard cmd to the tool interface.  They're verifying that it isn't used for something else, or would in conflict with another cmd, and if neither will implement it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought what your engineers do would affect the Find functionality in the chm. Let us know how you get on.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp