Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't import After effects composition into sequence timeline

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

I am using CS5.5 Master Collection and I have Premiere sequence which I have imported into After Effects via Dynamic Link; I have added some effects etc... Now I am trying to pull the sequence back into Premiere which I have done via Dynamic Link (import after effects composition), which imports the composition fine, however it wont allow me to add the composition to the timeline.  It will however play the composition in the source window.

Has anyone else come accross this and how do I fix it?

I have tried looking on youtube and I can see it working for others and no one specifically shows or does anything different to what I am doing.. Please help me.

Kind regards,

Milan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok after reading around I found that you can't use Dynamic link to import from Premiere into After Effects and then back into Premiere.

I however have another question. When doing it the other way as follows. RIght clicking on the file and selecting "replace with after effects composition", I lose all my transitions I have built in Premiere.

Is there a way to export my clip into Adobe After effects, while keeping the transitions that I have made in Premiere? The only reason I want to export to after effects in the first place is just for colour correction. I would still like to be able to have everything I built in premiere untouched. EG. Transitions.

Hope this makes sense and someone can help me

Kind regards,

Milan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you paste an asset into an After Effects composition, keyframes, effects, and other properties in a copied asset are converted as follows:

Copy from Adobe Premiere Pro to After Effects

edit:

For me, the fact that titles and dissolves are not converted
when DL'ing to After Effects is a big disappointment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Joe. This leads me to my next question then.

If once you import into after effects you lose your transitions, then really, adobe premiere is only used for putting in the initial footage and editing it (cutting it and putting it together on sequence timeline)...

Everything else, including transitions, and titles so fourth, would be done in After effects? I would only go back into premiere to export the file into a movie? Ive noticed once you export a file to after effects composition the sequence on the timeline becomes a pink colour and shows as one long sequence. How would I change that so I can edit each clip individually if required? For example if I wanted to change the order or extend a clip in the sequence in Premiere?

Is this a correct assumption?

BTW - I have noticed that once you export some footage into After Effects, you need to have both applications open, else one will not be able to load the referenced footage in each other?

Look forward to your feedback

Kind regards,

Milan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does someone know? Please help me!!!

Reward is a beer! hahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Milan,

I typically use Dynamic Link on specific clips, not an entire sequence.

I'm cutting in Premiere Pro, and then if I need something specific done to a clip, I'll send it to AFX with dynamic link.

It's like making a group of whatever you select into a precomp or nest, more than it is having your entire timeline fully in tact in both programs.

Does that make sense?

- wb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Firstodd,

Thanks for your reply. I tried dynamic link from Adobe premiere into AFX and it works fine. However you cannot import the clip back into Premiere timeline because of it recursive pointing at each other.

This is why I posed the question. Could you explain in more detail how you would do it from Premiere into AFX and then back into Premiere?

I appreciate your help

Cheers,

Milan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what dynamic link is, you don't need import the clip back into Premiere, it's already "linked" to it.  Your clip is replaced an After Effects comp, and what you change in After Effects, is automatically updated in Premiere through that pink clip you mentioned.

It seems to me you are trying to move a whole sequence back and forth, not just 1 clip or a small selection of clips.

In which case, the work you've done in After Effects would be there already, back in the original Premiere project, that you first sent to After Effects, assuming it was saved before closing.

Hope this helps.  Maybe we are just not following what you are trying to do.

- wb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me have a look with opening 1 clip via AFX. I have been importing the whole sequence accross by right clicking and selecting "replace with after effects composition".

The other thing is if I go into AFX and import via dynamic link. I am able to import the sequence/clip, however changes that I make in AFX i don't see in Premiere. I believe this is due to recursive issue I described before. So not sure how you are using dynamic link... Doing it the first way via right clicking is fine though!

Let me know your workflow for importing into AFX and then back into Premiere

Cheers,

Milan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are saying.  I tested that scenario, and you are correct, it doesn't let you:

- create a premiere pro sequence

- open after effects

- import that premiere pro sequence

- make changes to that sequence in after effects

- open premiere

- import that after effects sequence

which is essense, would be a link back around back to a premiere pro sequence, so it's been dynamically linked twice.

It would be interesting if it did allow it, you could do some weird looping stuff, or probably blow up the software .

Remember, whatever you send over to AE in this method is "replaced with after effects composition", you aren't going to be able to "edit" it back in Premiere.  You replaced that edit with an AE composition.  You have to work with that in mind.

The main thing about dynamic link is it elimates exporting & importing to get to another program, by just using the project file itself instead as a clip.

Hope that clarifies things a bit for you,

- wb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstodd! You sir, are a LEGEND. Makes sense now and I am able to work out what I want to do.

I noticed also that I dont need to have AFX open, even though in premiere the clips are linked to the AFX composition...

I think last night when I was trying to work everything out, I was tired and frustrated and was doing everything wrong.

Thanks again for your patience and help!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, glad it makes sense now.  It's a great feature!

Remember, you owe me a beer .  Ha, just glad I could be of help.

- wb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahaha are you in Australia? Ill buy you one no worries!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not .  Happy editing,

- wb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having a similar problem here. I edited a sequence for a green screen keying in premiere, imported the whole sequence into after effect and then I put a new layer (the person in front of green screen) on top of that. I keyed the green screen out and done other stuff. Now I want to put the whole compo into premiere without loosing any quality as this is part of a whole movie. I can not put the whole After Effect composition back into premiere and as I am using a new layer on top of the first premiere sequence there are no changes automatically updated in premiere via dynamic link. I am sure there is a way around this without exporting it, as every shot still has to be colour graded. Would you be able to help?

Thank you

V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is exactly my problem.  Getting the composition BACK into Premiere. Why won't it import?  Doesn't make sense.

Once a composition is created in AFX one would think you could import it into the timeline... As many times as you'd like. As a separate composition.. But I can't...  I can't even import the original edit which was saved moments before AFX crashed and had to be force quit (beach ball catastrophe for 20 minutes)...

So it's SAVED but imprisoned in an auto save file that can't be transferred... (bangs head on desk)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you bring it into After Effects and treat it I would get it in the render queue and export/render it, then place that FINISHED clip back into the same position in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see that this post is from 2011, but I am having a similar issue. Upon opening a project in Premiere, all of the dynamic linked compositions are disconnected. If I attempt to reconnect the AE project, it makes it to the import After Effects Composition dialog box and then hangs for an extended (possibly indefinite) amount of time. Anyone know a fix or work around for this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines