• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 9 Publish to SharePoint - why not just change output folder?

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For publishing my help to SharePoint, I was not able to get the video publishing to SharePoint to play, but tried to follow what written instructions I could find. and they didn't work. However, I was able to publish directly to SharePoint by simply changing the "Output folder and Start page" on the "General"  WebHelp single source layout settings page. I just made the files go directly to the SharePoint document library - into an empty folder I placed there.  Here is the path I used: \\sharepoint\HR\HCMHRResources\OnlineHelp\HRSpace\index.htm    It seems to work fine. Is there any reason I should not do it this way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops... my bad My Bad MY BAD!

That will teach me to reply without fully comprehending the thread. I was thinking you were referring to typing the UNC address into the publish destination field. But after looking at it again it seems you are talking about where WebHelp is generated.

Actually you DO NOT want to work that way. Here's why.

If you are placing content on a shared medium, odds are that users are accessing it from there, no? The first steps in the generation process involve removing the content from the folder in preparation for receiving a new round of content. And as you may imagine, if users are looking at the information and suddenly it's deleted, it's going to cause issues.

You always want to generate to your local hard drive. Then copy that content from your generated location to the server. And that's what Publish (which is what I thought you were doing) accomplishes.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah - I see your point. So, I went back to plan A - use the Publish settings to create the path, and voila - got it to work! Thank you for your help. The piece I didn't understand was that after you set up the "Publish" destination in the single source layout, it is a two-step process when you generate: 1st, generate the output to your own hard drive, and then 2nd, when the "View Results" dialog comes up, click the Publish button, and it then copies the generated files to the specified place on SharePoint.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp