Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using different images

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a standard user guide that I have created. However, I want to swap out images depending on who the guide is generated for. Is there an easy way to do this?

example: Company A gets the entire userguide with their images . company B gets the same user guide with their images.

Thanks,

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

You can use conditional build tags. Create a Company A tag and a Company B tag and apply the tags to the images. Then exclude the Company A tag from Company B's single source layout, and the Company B tag from Company A's single source layout.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the version of RoboHelp, which is why the Sticky Topic in Before You Post asks that all threads are started with the version of RoboHelp being used.

Variables can now include images and that would give you what you need. Including images was introduced in RoboHelp 8.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. I am using roboHelp 8 and I have never used it before. I am being thrown to the wolves...LOL  so how would I

use variables for images?

Thanks,

chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to open the User Defined Variables pod and create some variables. Then create some Variable Sets such as Customer A and Customer B. You will see a dropdown with the names of the sets. Select a name and apply a value to the variable to be used in that set. Select another variable set and do the same.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you output this file after applying the variable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Depending on the output type, you choose the Variable Set in the Single Source Recipe settings.

What is your output type? Responsive HTML 5, Multiscreen, CHM, WebHelp, FlashHelp, other?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what is your version of RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 2015 and the output type is WebHelp. I applied Conditional Build Tags to the images that I want to not appear in the output and use that Conditional Build Expression to not display the image. It works the first time but not after that. And the User Defined Variables don't work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not sure what you mean by "it works the first time but not after that". Can you expound?

So does this mean the first time you generate output? Or the first time you view the help.

Sorry, but we have more questions than answers here.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected a few images and applied a conditional build tag to them. I then

compile the files and view them. Here is what happens.

When a small file with 8 topics is compiled and viewed it works fine. The

images that have had a tag applied do not display.

When a large file with over 400 topics is compiled and viewed, the images

do not drop out plus some of the books and topics do not display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2016 Jun 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, your mention of "a small file with 8 topics" and "a large file with over 400 topics" seems to suggest you are looking at two completely different projects. Perhaps trying one with the 8 topics as some sort of a sanity test to ensure things work. Then trying the same thing on the larger project and noticing things fail.

My own guess is that you either haven't properly tagged the content or the issue is in the Build Expression used.

Perhaps share some screen captures? Particularly, I'd be comparing the Build Expression used in the 8 topic test with the Build Expression used in the 400 topic project.

As a side note, 400 topics isn't overly large. I'm also unaware of anything that begins to "fall apart" with Robohelp when you increase the number of topics.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team has over 30 years of experience using RoboHelp. I personally have been using it since the Blue Sky Software days. So I doubt that it is a failure on our part to properly use the tool.

I believe this is a bug and will report it to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if my request offended you in some way. No way to know experience levels except by basing it on questions being asked, just trying to help.

By all means, contact Adobe.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TxTechWriter - I doubt this is a bug for the reason Rick has given, namely that I have not seen issues of build expressions falling over just because more topics are introduced. Invariably it tracks down to something about those topics coming into play and it's nothing to do with experience, just something that hasn't been spotted. We've all done it and kicked ourselves.

You asked earlier how to output a file using User Defined Variables so it wasn't unreasonable for Rick to assume you had no experience of that feature.

If you want to ask Adobe, that's your privilege but if you want help here, then are you using two images with tags or are have you also set up some UDVs, I'm not clear on that. Also are there any other tags used in the build or is it just the two tags for the images?

If you do go to Adobe, please post back with the solution to help others.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem actually was that we were editing the Conditional Build tags. We first deleted them from all topics then used the same name with different parameters. The solution is to never edit the tags, just delete them and start fresh.

Actually, you should be able to edit the tags, that is a bug that I will report to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I following you correctly here? A tag is just that, a tag with a name. Of itself there are no parameters. Can I ask what you are referring to here when you talk about editing tags? Build expressions can be edited but that's another matter.

I also just tested right clicking a tag and selecting Rename which is the only thing you can edit. When I did that, RoboHelp automatically changed the build expression.

I am not clear on what it was you were editing, the tags or the expression?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the WebHelp icon on the Output tab. Navigate to WebHelp\Content Categories\ Content\Conditional Build Expression\Define\Define Conditional Build Tag. I did this to edit a Conditional Build Tag expression that I originally created. Not right clicking to rename it. I am using RH 2015 recently updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you said "The solution is to never edit the tags, just delete them and start fresh" I take you meant never to edit the expression. Assuming you recreated the expression with the same tags and construction as before, I can't see how it would affect the output. The fact that the expression is new should make no difference provided it is 100% the same.

Expressions certainly can be edited, I have done it regularly. Looking at post 10 in this thread, it does look as if something in the additional topics meant they failed the parameters of the expression.

If you do still feel there is a bug, when you report it you will need to give Adobe clear instructions setting out step by step what they need to do in the project you upload to recreate the problem. Otherwise I fear that without a project that proves the bug they will, in this instance, be likely to say expressions can be edited. They need the project that proves otherwise.

This is the link to report bugs. https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that's correct. Don't edit the expression. Just delete and start over.

I probably won't report that bug. Too complicated to reproduce and I can't

share my RH file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp