• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Popup Project doesn't work with RH8 and Windows 7 (64 bit)

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RoboHelp 8 ( 8.02.208), I created a project of popup topics that are linked to my main project. (Both projects under the same directory.). The linked popups function perfectly in Windows XP.

In Windows 7, everything works OK in Preview. In the compiled version, the text popups in the main project work fine, but the linked popup topics don't display. On the error console, I get messages such as:

"Permission denied for <file:///> to get property Window.whname" and

"Permission denied for <file://> to get property Window.document"

I'm hoping to test on a Windows 7 32-bit machine tomorrow to eliminate that variable.

Thanks for any insights.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tested with more than one browser and have you tested with the help on a server rather than locally?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I realized that I was testing it only with Firefox (version 3.6 on the 64bit laptop). When I tested it on my laptop with IE 8, it worked fine; all the linked popups functioned correctly.

When I tested it on a Windows 7 / 32 bit machine, with IE 8 it worked, with Firefox 5 it did not.

So now it is perhaps a problem with the settings within Firefox?

I have not tested the help on a server yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it is Firefox settings, more the way Firefox handles the code.

You could try a later version and / or you could try going to Tools > Options and selecting Convert RoboHelp Edited topics to HTML.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I selected Convert RoboHelp Edited topics to HTML in both projects and recompiled them.

I tested with Firefox 3.6 and 5.0.1 with the same maddening result: None of the linked topics popped up. Text pop-ups and See Also links continue to work. Everything works in Internet Explorer.

The errors continue to be the same ones: "Permission dennied to access property 'whname'" and "Permission denied to access property 'document'".

My next step is to test it from a server, but that, of course, requires others to assist.

Have you heard of such a problem before? Do you have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where on your hard drive are these projects stored? I am wondering if you have them in Program Files or some other protected areas.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the help folder is C:\CompanyHelpvnnn and then within that folder are the two project folders, the help topics (companyhelp) and the linked popup topics (companypopups).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka! The cause of this headache is the character set I used in FIrefox. Our web app director put his finger right on it. The character encoding was set to Western (Windows-1252). When I changed it to Unicode (UTF-8), all was well.

I'm making large notes (and maybe a tattoo) about this one so I won't forget. Thank you so much for thinking this problem through with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting us know. Odd message with that problem, very misleading.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp