Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XML - Why?

Aug 18, 2006 Aug 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm apparently behind the times because I can't find a primer on why I should consider this. Today I read that regarding localization, XML was adventageous. I'm wondering Why. I am getting ready to start Help on a product that will be fielded in Mexico, and there are others to follow.

Can anyone point me to some good basic, primer material, or give me a quick heads up?

Thank You.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 21, 2006 Aug 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
XML is useful because it means that your content can be used in different situations easily.

Once your topics are in XML (XHTML) you can then easily transform them to a webpage output, generate high quality pdf output.

I have a few posts about this: http://techwritetips.wordpress.com/tag/what-is/

At the moment, one of the main reaons I largely use Flare rather than RoboHelp, although I have both licenced is the flexibility that XML content gives me for doing things like high definition pdf's: http://techwritetips.wordpress.com/2006/07/19/best-pratice-flare-3-high-definition-pdf-part-1/

I could export from RoboHelp to xml and then perform these actions, but this introduces an additional step. Something that HAS to be in the next RoboHelp is xml topic content (something like XHTML), then it will be a real force again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp