Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9 Crashing When Generating WebHelp - MAJOR Help Needed

Participant ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Our software release date is next Thursday, August 18th, so I'm a bit panicky. What's happening has never happened before. Every time I try to generate WebHelp, RH9 crashes while "Updating Files". There are two of us working on the project...maybe something has gotten messed up? Can anyone tell me what I should check, or what I should do? Below is a screenshot of the error, as well as the error report itself.

RH9crash1.jpg

In the above screenshot, you can see the Output View at the bottom of the window, and the crash happens during "Updating files..."  Does anyone know what this means? I REALLY need help. If I can't get this figured out, we're in major trouble - possibly no Help released for our product. A trillion thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

RH9crash2.jpg

Below is the contents of the error report

Message was edited by Peter Grainge - The text posted has been removed as it was over 100 pages long and made the thread very difficult for forum supporters to assist. I have deleted it and put the text into a text file that is attached.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we start with some questions to see what is going on here.

Has this project ever compiled correctly, either in RH9 or another version?

Is this a new installation of RH9?

Can you generate any RH project. Try generating one of the supplied dummy projects (e.g. SalesBuilder)?

Can you generate any other output formats from this project (e.g. CHM)?

Have you tried creating a new WebHelp SSL?

If none of this works, perhaps you can post some more details of what exactly has changed since the last successful generation.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Yes it has previously compiled correctly in RH9 many times, as well as in RH7 and previous versions. This is the first time I've run into this issue, and I'm certain the issue has been caused because this is the first time that there are two of us simultaneously working on the project, and putting files in VSS, so basically, since the last successful generation of this project, the main difference is that 2 of us are checking in and checking out files, so I have no clue how to pinpoint the problem (I thought the error report would help pinpoint the problem, but I have no idea what anything in that report means).

I will try the things you have listed, and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As well as editing the first post in the thread, I have moved it to the RoboHelp HTML forum as I doubt the issue is the generation of webhelp.

It's likely it is source control related but until we know this will get the problem to a wider audience.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably you are both getting the same error when you try to compile then? It may not be a source control issue. It could be that some content has been added that RH disagrees with. Let us know what has changed (e.g. topics, images, baggage files, video, etc, etc.). Look out for very long file names / directory paths. try removing the project from source control and see if it compiles.

If all else fails, create a new project, import half the topics and compile. If it is successful, import some more and compile. Repeat until you gete the error. Then  remove have of the topics you've added and compile. Eventually you'll end up pinpointing a topic that is causing the issue.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have to resort to identifying rogue topics creating copies of the project and deleting topics might be quicker than importing.

Also add the Modified Date column to the Topic List and delete the most recent content first.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Peter, I'm sure it was source control related...unfortunately, not enough time to pinpoint the problem, but I know my co-worker and I will need to be more careful with our check-in/check-out, and I'll create backups every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This post looks similar.

javascript:;

You could try deleting the SSL folder and creating the Single Source layout definition again from scratch if this occurs again.

Amebr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wellllllll, I decided to go with what I thought would be fastest - i had a backup version of my project from 7/25. I opened it and could generate WebHelp, so I imported all the topics that my co-worker and I have created since then. 2nd, I went line by line in the snippets and UDV pods and made sure I had all the correct snippets and UDVs. Then I generated WebHelp and it worked. Soooooooo, I did not pinpoint the problem, but I'm happy to be back to having a project that successfully generates the files.

LESSON LEARNED: ALWAYS CONTINUE TO CREATE BACKUP VERSIONS OF MY PROJECTS, ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE ARE TWO OR MORE AUTHORS!!!!   I'll be creating backups more often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp